Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0426  (Read 1094 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0426
« on: April 02, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
Robservations #426

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0426

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:01:05 PM »
Poor Barnabas has so little reason now to hold on to any human feelings. But even now, Angelique won't let him give himself up. She has destroyed what she supposedly loved, and the transformation is complete: Barnabas has changed from an affectionate, lively, even passionately volatile young man to the ruthless, tortured creature we first met when he grabbed the hapless Willie Loomis by the throat.

Joshua and Naomi (in her dark lime green gown) are in the drawing room at Collinwood. Naomi reports, Madame du Pres has cried herself to sleep. [How did the family learn of Josette’s death, which occurred with no _living_ witness? Perhaps Natalie and Riggs found her shattered body at the foot of Widows Hill.]

Poor Millicent is changing too, and not for the better. Now we can see the first hint of madness in her eyes. (Nice work by NB.)

Another sad soliloquy for Barnabas as he kneels by Jeremiah’s grave marker. He tells his cousin, I am glad you cannot see me now. Now Josette will now lie beside you--the husband she never loved. You will be together in death as you never were in life. The choice was not your own. Angelique has made you win again.

But Millicent actually catches sight of him and decides he will avenge her honor. After all, she tells the shocked Joshua and Naomi, Barnabas has already fought one duel. The fact that she addresses this offhand remark to the man whose son killed his (J's) brother must be proof of dawning insanity--Millicent was so thoughtful of Naomi before.

Joshua is back to his usual pompous form, declaring that only he will testify at Vicki's trial.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
As Nancy Barrett voice-overed this: "... a seance which has suspended time and space and sent one girl on an uncertain and frightening journey into the past..." -- in my mind, I completed it as: "... and another girl (sic) has been sent on a somewhat more certain journey off of a cliff."

Yes, how do Joshua and Naomi know Josette's dead?   I have to disagree with DL here on Millicent's transformation, though.  I like cynical Millicent, and I think she's growing up, if she can make it through these bleakest days.   "I have no attitude-- just knowledge."  "The more one learns, the worse one feels.   I did not realize life is like that.  But it's probably a well known fact that no one bothered to tell me."   Great lines.   Why does she think she's perfectly safe, though?   I liked her going to choose her final resting place-- great conversation with Ben.   No one honors her wishes, though.   [spoiler]And she's actually one of the few survivors![/spoiler]   Nathan is just not worth all this trauma, though...

Joshua: "Me, clever?   What nonsense!!"   That was funny.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:52:56 PM »
I think Millicent thinks that the worst thing possible already has happened to her. Nathan's treachery has broken her heart and her spirit, so why should she care about anything anymore?

MT, too bad they didn't hire you to write the voiceovers--at least we wouldn't have to hear about the seance a hundred times.

Joshua does get some unintentional one-liners, doesn't he!  [easter_smiley]

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:46:55 AM »
I like the change in Millicent - she is getting easier and easier to watch. As MT noted, Millicent has many quotable lines. As a matter of fact this episode is chuck full of great lines from every character. I guess now is as good a time as any to mention Naomi's evening attire - it looks like a full length black fur dress/gown. The only thing I am sure of though is the light brown large fur collar(?). The gown is very rich and very unique. Naomi & Joshua are at odds regarding Vicki's trial. I'm glad Naomi is still supportive of Vicki.

[spoiler]I thought Barn kills Millicent - I guess not.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »

[spoiler]I thought Barn kills Millicent - I guess not.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]That sounds right.  I had it in my head that Millicent was the ancestor of the later generations of Collinses though.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 02:02:46 AM »
[spoiler]I really don't remember except that Barn bites Millicent, and I remember that because I thought it was Angelique in the VHS promos. I'm pretty much taking it for granted that she dies from it. I believe Daniel is credited for continuing the bloodline and is the father of the 1897 bunch. But, as per usual, I cannot be relied upon with any certainty.[/spoiler]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:23:09 AM »
[spoiler]At the end of the original 1795/96 storyline, Millicent is hopelessly insane, and there's never any reference to her ever being nursed back to sanity.  Daniel is clearly stated to be the ancestor of the family of the 1960s, which is why Vicki being on hand to save Daniel's life is so essential.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:44:38 AM »
Millicent... [spoiler]shows up in a Big Finish story (institutionalized, of course, and voiced by Nancy Barrett) set in 1820, and we know from the original series that she died sometime before 1840.[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »
I don't think it's a spoiler when I say that I also loved Naomi's sumptuous evening robe. I think the collar is supposed to be (I hope) fake chinchilla. I still say JB never looked more beautiful than in the 1795 story, and Naomi is one of my all-time favorite characters.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »
...is supposed to be (I hope) fake chinchilla.

I hope so too.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 04:47:19 AM »
Naomi notices that Millicent is acting stranger than normal and it is apparent she told them not about Nathan. Millicent chooses her final resting place next to Sarah and on her return spills about Nathan and says she wants Barnabas to kill him.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times