Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1142  (Read 967 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1142
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:30:02 PM »

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #1142
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
Welcome back, Humbert Allen Astredo! Judah sure made soul-transferring look easy, didn't he.

Poor, hapless Lorna. Of course it would be Quentin who gave her such a gently charitable eulogy. But we always knew that wearing that ring was a big mistake! And so the frame-up begins....

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »
Judah sure made soul-transferring look easy, didn't he.

Is that what it is?  I watched 1840 not too long ago, and one of the things that really struck me during that viewing was the puzzling nature of Judah's possession of Gerard.  I didn't get the feeling that Judah's spirit was inhabiting Gerard's body or that Judah was pretending to be Gerard (the way that Petofi was pretending to be Quentin) so much as that there had been a kind of fusion of the two personalities. 

When Desmond was briefly under the control of the head, he experienced periods when he produced different handwriting and expressed emotions and knowledge that were alien to him and clearly part of the Judah persona.  But it was always obvious when Desmond was in charge and when he was possessed. 

On the other hand, there are only very subtle changes in Gerard's character after he falls under the spell of the head.  Judah seems able to access Gerard's memories and personality traits very seemlessly.  Sometimes, he even appears to motivated by the same things that drove Gerard, and I don't believe this is simply Judah becoming absorbed in the role of passing as Gerard. [spoiler]The attraction to Daphne and attempts to seduce her, for instance, seem to be more in line with Gerard's character. [/spoiler]  The targeting of Quentin as the object of his revenge also seems to stem from Gerard's own jealousy of Quentin as much as from Judah's desire to hurt the Collins family.  [spoiler]After all, he doesn't spend a lot of time or energy trying to ruin Gabriel or the other Collinses.  He only drags down Desmond when it looks like Desmond will keep Quentin from getting convicted.[/spoiler]

It really seemed to me that this case was a unique type of possession. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on the matter.

ProfStokes

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
"Soul-transferring" was just my own shorthand for whatever it is that happens when Gerard puts on the Mask of Baal. Certainly Judah does bring out the worst in Gerard. At first Gerard seemed to be just an ordinary, garden-variety opportunist (as I think Julia says), but Judah certainly took advantage of his desire to get everything that he sees as belonging to Quentin--including Daphne. And once Gerard/Judah achieved his goals, it would certainly be easy for him to ruin the rest of the Collinses, as he pretty nearly will.

Sorry about any spoilers--I'm kind of in a hurry, but I did want to respond.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 08:08:24 PM »
Gerard's voice goes way up, when he says "Who ARE you?" to Dawson.  He's not used to being this out of his depth.   Judah says they're waiting for "The Golden Moment".... ?!   The implication is that there will come a poiint after all their goals have been acheived, when the mask can be thrown off, so to speak, and Gerudah will be able to fess up to the world and thumb his nose at it, since no one at that point will be able to stop him.   

C Dawson doesn't strike anyone as a great character, but one interesting part to him may be his overpowering delivery of lines, when speaking to characters he means harm to, who can't stop him.   Blair has to be more diplomatic, and Evan was a powerless mortal.   Dawson is intensely aware of his power though, and we see him at moments when he doesn't have to hide his comtempt and viciousness.   

It's an interesting acting choice.   HAA milks all the menace and irony out of the lines in these scenes, in his first with Gerard, then with Lorna at the sacrifice, where he practically bellows lines that no one would shout in ordinary circumstances.   It's unexpected and disturbing.

So Dawson found Lorna's body in a field.  I wonder if a passer-by spotted him depositing the body there, and he had to do some fast talking...

Go Lamar go!!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
DarkLady and ProfStokes, Judah had told Gerard in a dream that Judah would take over Gerard's body and Gerard would be nothing.  I think Judah meant what he said, and that if anything of Gerard remained active, then it was not intentional on Judah's part.  But that's not to say it didn't happen.

All the descendants of Judah's original coven members are required to be members of the current coven.  I've got to say, that's cruel.  UnAmerican too.

I think that Lamar Trask may have loved Roxanne, in his own way.  After all, he couldn't have kidded himself that she would have been a proper undertaker's wife unless he held a few romantic illusions about her.  So I tried to feel sorry for him, but I just couldn't do it.

Why did Trask immediately decide Quentin was involved in witchcraft?  Shouldn't he have been accusing Barnabas?  Granted, there was a certain logic behind his accusation of Quentin, but when has Trask ever been a slave of logic?

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:29:38 PM »
Lorna may not have hoodwinked Trask, but it sure seems like she hoodwinked Quentin. Once again, Quentin is in the wrong place at the wrong time. And what a place for a pick up. Jeez.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.