Author Topic: 1000th Montage / Another Chance  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
1000th Montage / Another Chance
« on: July 22, 2002, 11:06:16 PM »
Today's montage for episodes #570 & #571 marks the 1000th montage that I've put together for the various incarnations of this forum, which began on October 7, 1998 as Midnite's and my dream for a troll-free, safe and sane place to discuss DS. (Don't even ask about how insane some corners of online fandom were back in 1998!) And some skeptics said we'd never last! [wink2] (And just think, ma petite tourterelle, of how many graphics you've missed out on being able to complain about! But why do I think you'll more than try to make up for that? [lghy])

But rather than this being a post to pat ourselves on the back, it's actually a chance for another "cousin" to earn the right to a custom title* of their choosing. In a way, what I'm about to ask relates indirectly to today's 1000th montage. And, once again, your powers of observation will come into play (because I know how much you all LOVE questions like that [vryevl])

Almost three weeks ago, I deliberately did something to three consecutive montages that I've never done before or since. The first "cousin" who can post (in a completely unedited post - yes, we can tell) what it was that I did, what episodes were depicted in the three montages, and how what I did to the first of those three montages relates to today's 1000th montage will earn the opportunity to make up their own custom title! You have until Thursday at 2:00pm ET/11am PT...

Good luck!! (But if you know you're DS episodes, you won't need luck because you already know the answers, and you were probably just too polite to say anything at the time (which worked right into my plans) - but now is certainly your time to speak up! :))

(* A custom title cannot violate the forum's guidelines or contain any of the forum's censored words. It can't be something that members earn through posting (so no jumping to Full, Senior or God). And it can't be something like Webmaster, Moderator or Administrator because those postions have already been taken. :D)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1000th Montage / Another Chance
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 11:42:01 PM »

Almost three weeks ago, I deliberately did something to three consecutive montages that I've never done before or since. The first "cousin" who can post (in a completely unedited post - yes, we can tell) what it was that I did, what episodes were depicted in the three montages, and how what I did to the first of those three montages relates to today's 1000th montage will earn the opportunity to make up their own custom title! You have until Thursday at 2:00pm ET/11am PT...

Egad!  Must you always be so difficult, MB?  Why can't we just guess how many times Roger Davis will touch his hair and let the person who comes closest win?  ;)

I really have no idea how to answer this one, but I'll definitely think it over.  If it's something you've never done before or since, then I take it you didn't do whatever you did to today's montage as well as to the other three?  

Congratulations on all of your wonderful montages! [hello]

ProfStokes

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 11:52:54 PM »
Used Black and White Screen caps instead of color - and colorized parts of them?

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2002, 12:18:25 AM »
Dear MB and Midnite,
First of all congratulations on the 1000th montage!
DS Forums are fabulous!!!!!!!! 8)
About your contest.......hmmmmmm.........
I always look at them everyday and am very impressed
with them. But I don't know if I can say what was
different in 3 from 3 weeks ago.
I think I remember you using greek letters or numbers?
Oh and the pictures I thought were the coolest is
where you have a translucent picture added to another picture.

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2002, 12:19:24 AM »
can see 2 pics in one frame
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 03:59:02 AM »
Hmmm, I'm stumped for now.  I did make an attempt though and went to http://www.dsboards.com/images/.  Apparantly though, that was a bad idea.  Well, back to the drawing board.
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 04:14:09 AM »
I did make an attempt though and went to http://www.dsboards.com/images/.  Apparantly though, that was a bad idea.

[vryevl]

Did you really think I'd ever make it that easy? [lghy]

But even if you'd been able to get through, it would have been a waste of your time because what you were looking for is no longer there. I delete the montages from that directory the day after they've been on display. Those three montages are LONG GONE! [wink2]

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 04:22:46 AM »
you included pictures in the montage of stars not in the episodes shown those days.

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 05:24:24 AM »
Those three montages are LONG GONE! [wink2]

I'm assuming that you have all the DS vidcaps you'll ever need already locked away on some hard drive somewhere, though.  And, btw, if you do, you're denying the dark shadows fan community!! ;) (as many of them are of great quality).   I also noticed that you take the robservation caps off after a while as well, what a shame...
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2002, 05:40:35 AM »
(And just think, ma petite tourterelle, of how many graphics you've missed out on being able to complain about! But why do I think you'll more than try to make up for that? [lghy])

Ah, Pepe, I do so hate to disappoint you!!  I have fallen behind in my bitching and moaning lately, haven't I? Didn't say a word about the Willie's contorted expression on your most recent, did I?

Blame my kid...she's building herself a website and I can't get her off  the damned computer.

On the other hand, perhaps we should just add Montages to Avatars and Custom Titles, on the list of things that give Rainey the Shrieking Horrors, and leave it at that, shall we?

Or would that spoil all your fun?

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2002, 05:43:59 AM »
I'm assuming that you have all the DS vidcaps you'll ever need already locked away on some hard drive somewhere, though.

Yes, indeed. ;)

And, btw, if you do, you're denying the dark shadows fan community!! ;) (as many of them are of great quality).

I have at least 200 captures from each episode. That comes to more than 2.8GBs. If you'd like to pay for the Web space to store them, I'll be happy to upload each and every one of them. [wink2]

I also noticed that you take the robservation caps off after a while as well, what a shame...

Well, those will return. That's what the Robservations Archive is for.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2002, 05:57:25 AM »
Or would that spoil all your fun?

Rainey

Now that would be no fun at all! Who'd I have to swap insults and flirt with?!  :'(

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 12:14:13 PM »
A thousand congrats to MB and Midnite for this DS Forums Board milestone!  May there be thousands more!

I have to confess my powers of observation aren't the best these days, with peri-menopause rearing its ugly head and ruining my already-shaky concentration, so I can't venture a guess as to what you did, but since I'm already a five-star Robservationist with my own title, I don't want to take this opportunity away from someone else, anyway.

Love, Robin  

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2002, 09:00:40 PM »
Unfortunately, no one has even come close to what I'm looking for, so I'm going to emphasize two hints that I gave:

• "what I did to the first of those three montages relates to today's 1000th montage"
    (the one that's on display in this topic ;))

• "you were probably just too polite to say anything at the time"

And I'm going to give you a new one:

• montages include more than just screen captures.

If I say any more than that, I'm going to give the whole thing completely away! [wink2]

You still have 24 hours...

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2002, 10:47:18 PM »
All right; after careful scrutiny of Montage #1000, this is the only thing I've been able to come with.  I noticed that you've listed two months in the title of the montage (August-September 1968 ) and I remember that you did the same thing a little while back (July-August, 1968?)  I don't recall that it was ever done before.

I can only guess which episodes were involved: 544-549?  Episodes 548 (original airdate July 31, 1968 ) and 549 (original airdate August 1, 1968 ) aired together on July 3 of this year just before DS was interrupted by marathons, so the two previous days (July 1 and 2) must have been included in order to fulfill the "three consecutive montages" stipulation.

Just a wild guess.

ProfStokes