Author Topic: Ned Stuart -- Touchy Feely Freak  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
Ned Stuart -- Touchy Feely Freak
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
this man was just rubbing me (and lisa richardson) the wrong way.   this is a way to touch your sister?   how did this actress not roll over  his feet or something during the filming of the scenes with Ned Stuard and Barnabas and Julia.   

Is it me or was he over the top with the touching and hugging....(i mean a few times he went down around the sisters.....)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Re: Ned Stuart -- Touchy Feely Freak
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 02:20:06 AM »
Willie,

You really shouldn't be all that critical of Ned Stuart's "touchy-feely" contact with other people.  The poor fellow obviously watches the "ageless" Regis Philbin and the unfailingly self-effacing Kelly Ripa, hugging and smooching the eclectic likes of Courtney Cobain, Snoop Doggie-Dog, Joy Behar, Jennifer Aniston and Perez Hilton, etc., on their enthralling t.v. show each and every day.   [gorgeous] [kissgrin] [love3] [puke]

So, Ned is merely following the accepted contemporary social etiquette set by Regis, Kelly and that other paragon of unremitting class and good taste, Maury Povich, simply THE greatest man who ever lived! [ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_wink] [ghost_grin] 

Bob the Bartender, President of the Ricky Paul Goldin Fan Club

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 03:06:04 PM »
jeesh.   [ghost_blink]   okay.   give me a black russian.    make it a double!  [ghost_undecided]

it's just that he scares me.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:54:33 PM »
Ned Stuart was probably harmless in the long run but he did give people a creepy vibe.  His intensity was a little scary.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
Oh I defintely thought the same thing, that Ned's grabby obsessive treatment of his sister was overtly incestous.
I try to give Ned something of a pass, he had plenty of reason to have it in for Chis, and his only scenes really are focused on Ned's protectiveness of Sabrina over the damage done to her by Chis, but Ned does come off as abrasive and shrill at best.
He was a lot more likable in Return to Collinwood, but by then he'd pretty much had a personality transplant from Jeff.
Of course, we don't really know that much about what Ned would be like in a different context that the one we saw him in. I really like Peter/Jeff, but Ned wasn't likable.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »
His portrayal of Dirk Wilkins was great.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:46:15 AM »
Crazy Dirk was good.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:11:03 AM »
jeesh.   [ghost_blink]   okay.   give me a black russian.    make it a double!  [ghost_undecided]

it's just that he scares me.

Hey, 

I need a double Johnnie Walker Black after seeing Jason McGuire attempt to "relate" to Buzz Hackett on Dark Shadows.
 [ghost_wacko] [ghost_rolleyes]
Bob

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 02:28:30 PM »
Thanks Bob, I just spit my coffee out all over the keyboard with that one.... [ghost_grin]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
I've watched the Ned/Sabrina/Chris episodes again recently, and I got the impression Roger Davis played Ned Stuart so manically - as to distinguish him completely different from Jeff Clark. Unfortunately, if you play a Jeff Clark episode back-to-back with a Ned Stuart one, one finds little difference in tone - other than the circumstance of the character.

The one scene that creeped me out involved Ned and little Amy Jennings. Ned was left alone at Collinwood while Maggie went dashing through the woods after David. When Ned realized Amy was the sister of Chris, I thought for a moment he might try to kidnap her - or harm her - until Don Briscoe swooped in on the scene and said "Leave her out of this!"

The one person who took no guff from Ned was Dr. Julia Hoffman. I love Grayson Hall's deadpan glance when she and Don Briscoe shuffle into Ned & Sabrina's room at the Collinsport Inn, and Ned barks "Why is she [Julia] here?! This isn't some social reunion!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:41:29 AM »
Oh I defintely thought the same thing, that Ned's grabby obsessive treatment of his sister was overtly incestous.
I try to give Ned something of a pass, he had plenty of reason to have it in for Chis, and his only scenes really are focused on Ned's protectiveness of Sabrina over the damage done to her by Chis, but Ned does come off as abrasive and shrill at best.

[spoiler]
IMO Ned only had a right to have it in for Chris if Chris really HAD intended to harm Sabrina...but that had never been Chris' intention. And Ned never knew for for sure what really happened between him and his sister. Granted I can see
why Chris' running off suddenly would arouse suspicion, but Ned knew nothing of what really happened between them. [/spoiler]

Ned Stuart is the worse of RD's characters IMO.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:57 AM »
Ned is a very stupid name.  I think that was a clarion call announcing the coming overwhelming stupidity of the character.   Just ponder the apellation (a word I now use and possibly spell incorrectly because I'm somewhat drunk) ... whom would you respect named Ned?   What name is it shortened from?   Does it survive into this century?   Did any human even in the 60s say to selves, "Here's a cute infant, let's call the thing Ned?"

I expect you to answer "no" to these questions, just in case that isn't clear.

[female_skull] [female_skull] [female_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 04:00:12 AM »
Honestly, if my sister was left catatonic and at the same time her fiancee ran off, I'd have it in for the guy. So I try to give him something of a pass at having it in for Chris.
As for Ned, I think it's a knickname for Edward. The only other Ned I can think of offhand is from the tv show The Lost World.
I liked Ned in Return to Colllinwood, but at that point he was pretty much just Jeff Clark anyways.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 04:33:09 AM »
my feelings about roger davis as ned stuart were always "why?".

stuart was a relatively minor character and could easily have been cast using a different actor. so closely on the heels of jeff clark it only added confusion. confusion exacerbated by the fact that nothing was done to differentiate the two characters in terms of appearance or temperment. ned was just nother bossy blowhard.

my impression of the absurd preponderance of roger davis roles has always been that davis must have had a two year contract and the writers/producers needed to write him into the series somehow whether it really made sense or not.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 04:47:35 AM »
MSC, according to a number of sources I have seen, Dan Curtis really liked Roger Davis as a person.  Davis was dating Jaclyn Smith who had been considered for a role on the series--I have wondered whether there was a connection as to how Davis found his way onto the DS set in the first place.  Apparently, Davis was considered something of a teen idol as well.  There was coverage in 16 and Tiger Beat, not on the same scale as Barnabas and Quentin received, but frequent nevertheless.

DS only escaped the curse of Roger Davis when he found his way onto the old West adventure series, Alias Smith and Jones.  Otherwise, DC had planned a storyline involving a Davis character showing up to be Maggie's new boyfriend in the Summer of 1970.  I've often wondered whether this talk wasn't part of what convinced KLS that she needed to get the hell outta Dodge--erm, Collinsport.

G.