Poll

Would you like Seaview to be the representation of Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film?

Yes.
No.
I don't know.

Author Topic: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film  (Read 16275 times)

MirandaD

Re: Collinwood in the new Depp/Burton DS film
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2009, 01:00:11 AM »
Well, Miss Judy, I don't understand why people place so much importance on the house to begin with.  It's a house, for heaven's sake.  [ghost_tongue] Iconic or whatever, it's overall value to the story is limited.

Actually Nancy, I totally understand that POV.  And in fact, my first thought was exactly the same as yours,  that other issues were much more important, and I still believe that.  So that's sort of an "I don't care about the house" vote, which isn't represented in the poll except as an "I don't know".  Since my first thought, though, I have to say I've decided that I would prefer to see Seaview Terrace rather than another house.  I like the nod to history without the necessity of being overwhelmed by it.

My confusion is with the "No" vote.  I just don't understand that logic at all.  If people are worried about the new version being too similar to the original, well, new viewers needn't know Seaview is the original house.  And it's been mentioned time after time that the audience for the movie is not the original viewers.  So.. why not use Seaview?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2009, 01:41:27 AM »
Yes, they are House Of Dark Shadows shirts that feature Lyndhurst but that kinda goes without saying.

There've been t-shirts with the image of Lyndhurst as Collinwood that aren't tied to the movie.  Here's one inspired by the 2004 Fest:
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/moredetails.aspx?showBleed=false&ProductNo=17478979&colorNo=1&pr=F (can be ordered here)

I have a Lyndhurst shirt that I bought at Lyndhurst but I've never seen a shirt with a picture of Lyndhurst and the word Collinwood above it. I'm not saying they don't have them but I've never seen it.

I can't recall seeing a DS shirt with "Collinwood" above any mansion, and if that's the case, I don't see this is a point of debate.

My confusion is with the "No" vote.  I just don't understand that logic at all.  If people are worried about the new version being too similar to the original, well, new viewers needn't know Seaview is the original house.  And it's been mentioned time after time that the audience for the movie is not the original viewers.  So.. why not use Seaview?

Other than the reasons already given?  All of which, however much you might disagree, seem quite valid.  There may very well be additional reasons on which members have based their no (or don't know) votes, but with the anonymity of the poll comes the voter's right to not give a reason.  And quite frankly, the climate of this topic may not be as inviting for expressing opinions as some might think.

And MirandaD, you've said that it's not your intent to be argumentative, but quite honestly, it's coming across that way, at least to the mods.  Your input has been appreciated, but with all due respect, could you please hold your thoughts until you have something new to add on this issue?

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2009, 06:46:11 AM »
I have a spiffy new idea.  How about suggesting that the new Collinwood drawing room have a big painting of Seaview over the mantle, and the explanation could be that it was Josette's original home back in Martinique or France or wherever they decide she came from? 
Though it WOULD likely defeat the well-meant intent to provide some financial benefit to the REAL Seaview, as the two "Stepford Wives" movies brought to Lockwood-Mathews (the second version, though IMO a worse film, DID bring in both, more money AND some nice restoration.)
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2009, 07:47:14 AM »
I like the idea of having a picture of the original Collinwood hanging on the walls of the latest Collinwood, but the thought of it being identified as Josette's childhood home has my mind going in squiggles.  Would it have been a wedding present from Natalie, as a reminder to Josette of what civilization looked like?  And shouldn't it be at the Old House with Josette's portrait?

I keep imagining hunting dogs in the foreground of the picture.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »
I didn't mean to suggest that Graystone was a ranch style house, only that location is very important. If they used a ranch style for a Dracula movie we would not accept it because it would fit.

I think Graystone would fit a Dallas movie more than it did Dark Shadows. To me there is nothing Gothic about Graystone whatever it's style is. I'd rather see that old painting they used for the Roger Corman / Vincent Price movies used as Collinwood. Maybe they could do a CGI matt and put Seaview on that cliff.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2009, 02:48:45 PM »
The reason for no is to have something new added to the mix.  A new house would be something to relish or not like for sure but it would be different.  And why not be different? Be new?  

Besides the logistics for using Seaview won't work with the movie being shot in England.  There is no reason for the production crew to stand on their heads to use Seaview for the house.  

nancy

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2009, 04:24:15 PM »
I have a question: if Seaview is not used as Collinwood, why would it be so upsetting?

nancy

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »
Actually, if Johnny Depp and Tim Burton want to make the movie truly realistic, when Barnabas is released from his coffin, he'll find a Walmart standing where Collinwood once was.

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2009, 06:40:17 PM »
Actually, if Johnny Depp and Tim Burton want to make the movie truly realistic, when Barnabas is released from his coffin, he'll find a Walmart standing where Collinwood once was.

[laughing4]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2009, 07:17:05 PM »
Sadly, Gerard, you might be right there.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Although - think of the possibilities for a "fight" against Walmart as the perfect plot for a film. We know that in the original show Liz was having financial troubles and was in danger of losing Collinwood. For a film (perhaps a sequel, though) they could adapt that original plot so that when Barnabas discovers the Collinses are in such financial straights that they have to bite the bullet to allow Walmart to buy the estate to build a Super-Duper Walmart. Barnabas, in his own inimitable way, puts the bite on the Walmart execs to not only protect the estate, but to get the funds to save it. It's timely AND Tim Burton quirky.  [ghost_wink]

Although - on second thought, maybe it's just a bit too quirky.  [ghost_grin]  Never mind...

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2009, 08:05:11 PM »
The reason it would be wrong to me, I don't think I get upset, is that IMHO it would be like going to a Star Trek movie and they have a ship that looks like it should be in 2001, or Alien. The Enterprise is the part of Star Trek makes each new movie a Star Trek movie. They have brought in 4 or 5 different crews and it's accepted be fans because they have the same kinds of ships. They're updated but you can still see the original in them.

It would be like making a Frankenstein movie and having the live in a Ranch Style house and not showing the creation.

It would be like making a Batman movie where Batman drives a smart car.

The difference is that you don't update a house the way you do a car or ship. The house could look older, and does. As for the cost of filming there, it would be real easy to send out a crew to take photos and us green screen and CGI when they need the action to take place in front of it. If they're shooting soundstages they may be doing that anyway.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »
Or how about this for a plot-line where Seaview can be used and a huge ton of money being saved?  After Barnabas is released, he discovers that Collinwood has previously been rented out to a local college that trashed the place.  Just think of it:  no need to build sets, no need to provide extra furnishings.  Just plug in some cameras, spotlights and a microphone boom and start filming! 

Gerard

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
Genius, Gerard!  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »
Thing is, you are comparing the original, iconic item with a hypothetical (and extremely different) outcome.

We don't know what house is going to be used.  Why suspect the house is going to be so very different from the original?

Nancy

The reason it would be wrong to me, I don't think I get upset, is that IMHO it would be like going to a Star Trek movie and they have a ship that looks like it should be in 2001, or Alien. The Enterprise is the part of Star Trek makes each new movie a Star Trek movie. They have brought in 4 or 5 different crews and it's accepted be fans because they have the same kinds of ships. They're updated but you can still see the original in them.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2009, 10:14:07 PM »
You're right and that could be good or bad. It fans of any of the other DS movies or shows don't buy the location it will put a bad taste in their mouth from the start. First impressions are very important. The wrong poster or trailer can keep people out of a theater. If the people don't buy the location it will be real hard for the movie to recover from it.  The movie isn't being made for the TV shows original fans but if they go see it and give it bad word of mouth it could affect it's box office.