Author Topic: Angelique's Descent Novel vs Audio Drama  (Read 701 times)

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Angelique's Descent Novel vs Audio Drama
« on: November 06, 2015, 03:44:50 AM »
I've read Lara Parker's novel so most likely won't listen to the audiobook, but was just curious: are there any differences at all between the AD novel and audio drama -- in terms of dialogue, the prose itself, changes to the story for time purposes, etc?  Cheers.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Angelique's Descent Novel vs Audio Drama
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »
The Big Finish reading is not something I would classify as audio drama. Most of the 4 CDs are read exclusively by Lara. It's heavily abridged. I believe the entire modern storyline was cut out. There are brief portions that are read with Andrew Collins. I don't recall who he played, but it wasn't Barnabas as is the case in the audio dramas. It might  have been Diablos or whatever he was called in the novel. The four cds must run about 5 hours compared to the 16 hours in the complete reading done recently.

As an avid Big Finish fan, I consider the edited version to be a part of their canon. They cut the parts that would contradict their work. Other than that, there's little point to having that release now. It's been supplanted by the more recent, unabridged version.

Offline BangsnFangs

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Angelique's Descent Novel vs Audio Drama
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 07:34:56 AM »
Thanks for the answer.  Yeah, I like what Big Finish are doing with the DS range.  I've only listened to the full cast audios and dramatic readings as far as the Doll House.  I like the fact that BF use both writers who are familiar with the show and ones who have never seen it.  It allows for a greater variety and also injects fresh ideas and a more out-of-the box approach to the story arcs of established characters. 

I'm also impressed by BF's reluctance to recast.  When they do there is generally a logical explanation within the narrative (such as with Andrew Collins as Barnabas in 'The House of Despair') or there is a decent age different from when the character appeared on the show (David, Amy, etc.).

And on top of that, they're exceptionally produced and maintain good continuity with the show.  Yeah, I'm a fan.