Author Topic: Setting up the "New" Vampire  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Setting up the "New" Vampire
« on: September 16, 2003, 07:52:55 AM »
When one knows who the vampire is, it's fun to see how the whole story is presented.  First they show Barnabas with Maggie, with Julia presumably catching him just in time.  All the more reason for Julia to assume he was the attacker when it first happened.

Meanwhile, Sebastian goes out for his date with Maggie, with Roxanne not seeming too happy that he's going out and apparently following him.  That night Maggie goes out again and comes back, having been attacked.

By the time of the revelation, first timers may have forgotten how all of that transpired, but it makes it more fun to see the background for it when one is aware.
Josette

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re:Setting up the "New" Vampire
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 05:44:59 PM »
It's only my opinion, but I find the whole Roxanne/Maggie thing slightly kinky.  It's too bad KLS left the series at this point, because I would have liked to see this story played out.  If Maggie finally succumbed and became a vampire, would she be in thrall to Roxanne?  Would she be Roxanne's "bride" the way Barnabas was trying to make Maggie HIS bride when he first came on the scene?  The mind just reels.  If they had been able to get Don Briscoe back as Tom Jennings and have dueling vampires Roxanne vs. Tom with Barnabas caught in between somewhere I think the ratings would have gone through the roof and the series would have run several more years.

Offline Rydell

• "It's an old, family name."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2003, 07:26:01 PM »
Same sex neck biting seems a bit kinky to me too.  In an icky kind of way.  When Barn first bit Willie, it was on the arm.  That seemed more appropriate.
Roxanne's savage attack on Maggie seems more catty.  The equivalent of a jealous ex wanting to scratch the new girl's eyes out.
Rydell
"To be is to do." - Socrates
"To do is to be." - Sartre
"Do be do be do." - Sinatra

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 07:49:40 PM »
In my book, if the bite is violent, it's not sexy.....if it's seductive, it doesn't matter which sex either or both of the individuals are......it's sexy.  RobinV was absolutely right about Frank Langella's "seduction" in the B'way production of "Dracula".....the gasping and sighing in the theatre was orgasmic.   ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 08:57:24 PM »
In my book, if the bite is violent, it's not sexy.....if it's seductive, it doesn't matter which sex either or both of the individuals are......it's sexy.  RobinV was absolutely right about Frank Langella's "seduction" in the B'way production of "Dracula".....the gasping and sighing in the theatre was orgasmic.   ;)

Alright.  Let's all cool down now!  "Deep breaths everybody," as Mrs. Hyacinth Bucket, that paragon of moral virtue, is wont to say.

I find dwelling on the blissful union of Gregory and Minerva Trask is enough to get me back on an even "keel," so to speak. (That or dwelling on the joyous pairing of Parallel Time's Quentin and Maggie Collins, sort of PT's own version of the "timeless" Ernest Borgnine and Ethel Merman marriage, which lasted, I believe, one entire, fun-filled weekend!)       

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 09:12:33 PM »
.....that wasn't a marriage, Bob....it was a street brawl.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 01:01:19 AM »
.....that wasn't a marriage, Bob....it was a street brawl.

Sort of like George Foreman vs. Ron Lyle.  Or perhaps, to be more on point, Barnabas Collins vs. Angelique Bouchard!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2003, 02:33:46 AM »
Ummm, I could see Angelique holding her own in a hair-pulling contest in the street.....but BARNABAS?  In a street fight?  Oh please!  ::)
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003, 02:37:59 AM »
Gregory and Minerva Trask doing..........that?  Oh, Bob, they would never have done..........that.  That's like saying our parents would've done...........that.

Gerard
PS - And don't ask me where Charity Trask came from.  I'm sticking with the stork theory on that one.

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003, 04:33:47 AM »
Gregory and Minerva Trask doing..........that?  Oh, Bob, they would never have done..........that.  That's like saying our parents would've done...........that.

PS - And don't ask me where Charity Trask came from.  I'm sticking with the stork theory on that one.

[lol2]works for me the stork brought me too1

jennifer

Now has everyone gotten over the fact JLO and Ben split :P
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2003, 07:20:39 AM »
Quite probably if KLS had not been leaving the show, there would not have been the whole Maggie being attacked by Roxanne storyline.  I think this was concieved as the easiest and fastest way to write KLS out of the script and not either leave the character hanging (by disappearing and not ever showing up agian) or leave the character where she could not come back again, if KLS changed her mind.
What I have always found interesting is that when 1840 is over, had they ever returned to 1971, for more than just a brief scene, how would Maggie's disappearance been explained since it is clearly presented that the time line had been altered by Barnabas and Julia in 1840?

Raholt

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2003, 05:23:15 AM »
It's only my opinion, but I find the whole Roxanne/Maggie thing slightly kinky.  It's too bad KLS left the series at this point, because I would have liked to see this story played out.  If Maggie finally succumbed and became a vampire, would she be in thrall to Roxanne?  Would she be Roxanne's "bride" the way Barnabas was trying to make Maggie HIS bride when he first came on the scene?  The mind just reels.  If they had been able to get Don Briscoe back as Tom Jennings and have dueling vampires Roxanne vs. Tom with Barnabas caught in between somewhere I think the ratings would have gone through the roof and the series would have run several more years.

Sexy female to female vampires with Lesbian undertones go back all the way to "Carmilla," one of the first English vampire stories ...

(And I've just purchased an inexpensive DVD with "Vampire Lovers", said to be an adaptation of "Carmilla"!).

The lesbian vampire theme continues through more recent movies like "The Hunger" and "Embrace of the Vampire."

So yes, I think DS was striving to suggest some kinkiness.

Male - to - Male biting for some reason seems to make some people (usually male) more nervous, where the female - to - female is more socially acceptable.   :)

The only male - to - male biting that I've seen that pushed the boundaries of sensuality was Lestat biting Louis in "Interview with the Vampire."  Barnabas' biting Willie on the arm is a first in vampire lore, so far as I know.  Seems a rather extreme attempt to avoid any thought of physical contact between males that doesn't fall into the hearty slap on the back sort.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995