Author Topic: Some Sundry And Sordid Observations  (Read 2511 times)

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Some Sundry And Sordid Observations
« on: July 01, 2002, 06:41:24 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

Nicholas Blair  has been a guest at Collinwood for a couple of weeks now.  He impresses me as being a very vain individual, but also as a man with very fastidious and exacting standards of personal hygiene.

That being said, after hanging around Collinwood, day after day, in that same gray three-piece suit and matching gray shirt, don't you think that the ultra-suave Nicolas is becoming the least bit "ripe" in that outfit?

Maybe Roger will be "considerate" enough to lend his "brother-in-law" some of his old suits.  I realize that in certain European countries, it's considered perfectly normal and acceptable to "smell like a manly man," but I'm afraid we provincial Americans don't share that "earthy" appreciation of bodily "scents" that our European cousins seem to favor.  (Someone once warned me: Never, ever, get into an elevator with a bunch of husky Russian men, attired in ill-fitting suits!)

By the way, do you think that gray is the official satanic color, the way that "666" is the official devil's number?  (Evidently, Satan's emissaries are on a strict, cost-conscious clothing budget.)

When Roger Collins makes mad, passionate love to his voluptuous wife, Cassandra, do you think that that wicked witch starts to boorishly emit that high-pitched cackle/laugh of hers?  How cruel!

Prof. T. Elliot Stokes:  Does he or doesn't he?

The good professor has gray streaks running across both sideburns and on the top of his head.  The rest of his thick head of hair appears to be a combination of brown and dull gold.   Evidently, the professor's hair color is as varied as, say, actor Barry Bostwick, basketball player Dennis Rodman, and the former 42nd President of the United States and backup Blues Brothers saxophone player to Dan Ackroyd and the immensely talented Jim Belushi, William Jefferson Clinton.

So I ask the question again:  T. Elliot Stokes, Does he or doesn't he, apparently, only his hairdresser really knows for sure.

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender, who hopes his own hair stays just as jet black as Mike Wallace's hair when Bob reaches the esteemed journalist's age.

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Some Sundry And Sordid Observations
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 08:17:25 PM »
Har!!!

re: Nick's fastidious and exacting standards of personal hygiene.   How much do ya think he spends on floss? Love that grin! ;D

and speaking of '666' and, in the same post, a certain former Pres, I saw a hilarious [unintentionaly, I believe] program about Mysteries of the Bible the other night about how that number translates to Reagan's name, somehow.  which reminds me of the 'private member in the pecans' joke..... 8)

and re: hair color ...seen Sir Paul's latest? :-X :o

as for myself, I just 'say the sun did it!' :D

We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2002, 09:13:35 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans,

Nicholas Blair  has been a guest at Collinwood for a couple of weeks now.  He impresses me as being a very vain individual, but also as a man with very fastidious and exacting standards of personal hygiene.

That being said, after hanging around Collinwood, day after day, in that same gray three-piece suit and matching gray shirt, don't you think that the ultra-suave Nicolas is becoming the least bit "ripe" in that outfit?

Maybe Roger will be "considerate" enough to lend his "brother-in-law" some of his old suits.  I realize that in certain European countries, it's considered perfectly normal and acceptable to "smell like a manly man," but I'm afraid we provincial Americans don't share that "earthy" appreciation of bodily "scents" that our European cousins seem to favor.  (Someone once warned me: Never, ever, get into an elevator with a bunch of husky Russian men, attired in ill-fitting suits!)

When my husband spent two weeks living with a Russian family as part of a student exchange program, he was the only one that bathed on a daily basis. Once a week seemed to be the norm for the family. Even the most beautiful women on the street had that "ripe" smell to them he said.  Then again, this was during the early 80's so maybe things have changed for the average citizen.  Water may have been rationed but vodka flowed like water!!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Thom

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2002, 05:22:42 AM »
you guys slay me with your observations! Poor Nicholas - maybe he should wear more flowers in his lapels to offset his smell.

Because the show had such a lousy budget in some shows when a nightime scene appears in the lst couple of acts, the next day is depicted in acts 3 /4 you'll notice the performers wearing the same clothes!! Yuck. This happens in a 1969 ep where Carolyn and Julia stay over at the Old House afraid to return to colllinwood. They go antiquing the next day in the village wearing the same clothes! I mean...they could have walked back to Collinwood first to change!

Offline John_in_NC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 05:36:16 AM »
Bob, I guess Nicholas is trying to outdo Lt. Forbes record for wearing the same outfit daily.  I keep waiting for Nicholas to show up one day dressed as the Joker from "Batman"!  ;D
John

Offline Angelique_s_Sis

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 05:41:56 AM »
:o  Hi!  I'm new to these boards.  

My observation is perhaps....he couldn't co-ordinate any other suits with his gray gloves.  Love the hocus-pocus gestures....I'm still waiting for the rabbit to pop out of the tophat! ;D :D

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2002, 08:29:42 AM »
LOL Welcome 2 the boards, Angelique_s_Sis! I must say, I love those gray gloves  ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2002, 08:43:10 AM »
Welcome to the board, Angelique's Sis!  It's great to see you posting here.  :)

ProfStokes

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2002, 01:50:33 PM »
...after hanging around Collinwood, day after day, in that same gray three-piece suit and matching gray shirt, don't you think that the ultra-suave Nicolas is becoming the least bit "ripe" in that outfit?

Maybe he's like the Simpsons...they have multiple duplicates of the clothes they've been wearing for 14 years now.

Perhaps Nicky Blair has a whole closet full of three-piece gray suits...
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2002, 04:26:52 PM »
I could see Nicolas Blair dressed in black top hat, black suit, white shirt, string tie, and black cape.  Twirling his mustache while standing over Cassandra who is tied to the railroad tracks, train approaching.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2002, 04:46:52 PM »

Perhaps Nicky Blair has a whole closet full of three-piece gray suits...

This was my first thought too scout75...I could just see a closet upstairs lined with about 20 identical suits.  As for Forbes I would imagine that he would have more than one uniform too.  Unfortunately, with dry cleaning not yet having been invented those wool duds still probably stood up on their own after a short while. P U![sick]

Welcome Angelique_s_Sis and HI John_in_SC! I've been wondering where you disappeared to - glad to see you're back.   :D
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Online Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2002, 05:09:38 PM »
Hey, Ringo,

Great comment concerning narcissistic Nicholas Blair's apparent obsession with proper dental care using dental floss.  I think that Nicky B. has one of the great "crocodile smiles" of all time,  I'd even go so far as to say that it rivals those of "Smiling" Jack Nicholson (the pride of Neptine, NJ) and of the inimitable Cesar Romero, star of countless Hollywood flicks (and, also quite memorable as the Joker on Batman)!

Do you think that the new Mrs. McCartney might be pushing her husband to do something new with his hair color?  By the way, is it true that Sir Paul's kids are less than thrilled with their new "mom"?

Carol,

I don't mean to sound as if I'm just picking on the Russian people.  If I may make a comment on my mother's "paisan," the wonderful and always lyrical people of the Emerald Isle, never, ever get into a Dublin taxi, even in the dead of winter, without first opening boeh rear windows in the cab!

You know that old Irish Spring soap commercial, with the handsome Irish fellow, wearing the tweed cap and the traditional Irish fisherman's sweater, pleasantly extolling the deoderant cleaning power of Irish Spring soap?  Well, the great comedic actor, Steve Landesberg, once did a bit on that commercial where the Irish guy's girlfriend says to him: "Och, Kevin, God love you!  You need a shower!  Use some Irish Spring soap now, won't you, like a good lad?"

John in SC,

Good point about Nathan Forbses' uniform.  However, I don't think that Nathan, being in the service, had much to say about his choice of attire.  When you're in uniform, you have to wear those threads most of the time.  You must see a lot of GI's from Ft. Jackson walking around in their olive drab uniforms in Columbia.

I remember, wearing the gray Air Force uniform (although, not quite the same shade of gray as Nicky B.'s suit), and the guys would joke that we had the same uniform as the members of a fellow government outfit, the Unites States Postal Service!

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender. an unabashed supporter of Martha Stewart!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2002, 11:18:27 PM »
Hey, Ringo,
the new Mrs. McCartney might be pushing her husband to do something new with his hair color?  ... Sir Paul's kids are less than thrilled with their new "mom"

I would think Humbert  ;Dshould be doing 'Rembrant' commercials today! [where the hell is he, anyway? - pardon the pun :D]
--

re: hair color - 'insider' word is that Heather the wife, [not to be confused with Heather the daughter - and elder to HtW!] is actually trying to get Pauly to go more natural, but HRH  ['his royal hairdresser'] has said Sir P is quite picky about his graying locks [I should be so lucky!]

re: the kids - word is here that 2 out of 3 true Maccakids are not very warm to the new Lady M. [HtD is actually Linda's from her first hubby - but still close, and said to be fairly warm to HtW ?!?]  This to me is a 'time will tell' issue - I have seen Paul close up several times since Linda's passing, and he was VERY unhappy and lost looking for a long time, and I have seen a true smile return to his eyes since HtW's arrival. :D  I remember seeing my Dad with someone other than Mom after she passed, and that takes a lot of getting used to - they are smart kids, and I think as long as HtW is as she appears to be [fingers crossed - she may indeed be 'the bad guy' in a few years, ya know]  the kids will come around, and realize 'Daddy Paul' [wouldn't THAT be something!] is happy again, and still being 'true' to Linda's memory.  That's mostly my observations, based on 'reports' - as I try to stay out of 'family' stuff, for the sake of media stuff!
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2002, 04:06:45 AM »
Bob, I guess Nicholas is trying to outdo Lt. Forbes record for wearing the same outfit daily.  I keep waiting for Nicholas to show up one day dressed as the Joker from "Batman"!  ;D
John

That's funny! I thought of the Joker too. I could see him in that role.  
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Rydell

• "It's an old, family name."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2002, 07:29:14 PM »
I have to agree with Scout75.  I can see Nicky B. with a closet of matching duds.  He found something that works for him and is sticking with it.

What about Adam ripening day after day in that icky green sweater?  I know he has jammies, but what ever happened to his gray shirt and black blazer?

Have you ever been on a cruise?  You can pick out the Europeans by their scent.  (and Speedo's).  Yikes !
"To be is to do." - Socrates
"To do is to be." - Sartre
"Do be do be do." - Sinatra