Author Topic: Phishers Slip Through Web Loopholes  (Read 862 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Phishers Slip Through Web Loopholes
« on: December 08, 2005, 12:33:33 AM »
I received several e-mails to visit the site that's mentioned in this article. However, the laugh was on them when it came to me because I don't even have an eBay account, so I immediately knew it was a scam after reading only a few lines of the e-mail. Sadly, for many others, though, that wasn't the case:

As shown by a recent attempt on customers of online auctioneer eBay, phishers can still cause serious headaches despite increasing consumer awareness.

Check out: Phishers Slip Through Web Loopholes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Phishers Slip Through Web Loopholes
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:45:59 PM »
It seems like someone is trying to revive this foolishness because I just received another one of the e-mails.  ::)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 11:39:20 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, lately I've been getting a few false messages a day from ebay and paypal, also from Chase banking, I don't even have an account there!

Offline coterie-mc

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Dark Shadows Collectiables
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 11:45:40 PM »
got one from Paypal  a few weeks ago asking me to update my info...etc..so i forwarded the email to Paypal security..

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 08:55:05 AM »
I've gotten the fake Paypal one, too, and since I've used Paypal a couple of times I wasn't sure if was real or not, so I too contacted Paypal about it.  They said it was fake.

I've gotten the fake e-bay ones for quite some time.  Now that I have bought something on ebay for the first time (as mentioned in another thread), I really do have an account with them, so when I got a new message supposedly from ebay, I almost opened it until I remembered that I had set up that account using my other email address.

Right before Christmas I got one supposedly from amazon that said something about a billing problem in the subject line.  I use amazon regularly, but hadn't purchased anything for a while, so I went to amazon's site and checked my account there.  There were no billing issues.

I never open the ones from Chase since I don't know if they're real or not, since I do have accounts with them.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995