Author Topic: OT/ Anyone else having difficulty?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
OT/ Anyone else having difficulty?
« on: February 02, 2003, 02:16:48 AM »
In the last two days I've had my computer freeze up on me five times when all I could do was to hit Control, Alt, delete which of course turns off my computer and then turns it back on.  This happened twice on Friday and three times on Saturday.  

Every time this happened I was in Dark Shadows Forums and happened after clicking on a topic to read.  I would think that it's my computer but I question that because the only time it has happened is when I was in these forums.

I have no idea what's causing this because it's never happened to me before.  I've been in several items on the internet and I've had no problem except when I'm in this Forum.    

I'm interested in knowing if I'm the only one having this problem.  

Thanks,

Murph

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT/ Anyone else having difficulty?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 05:20:49 AM »
I don't know if this is related to your problem or not, Murph, but while I was checking through the error_log today I noticed that you'd generated the following error:

"[(Date & Time of the error)] [error] access to (full server path to)/index.html failed for (IP Address), reason: file permissions deny server execution"

And you're not the only one who has generated this error - I've also discovered entries for Bette, Bob_the_Bartender, Cassandra_B, CastleBee, Connie, jennifer, Joeytrom, Julia99, ksgemini, Maria_Merriweather, Raineypark, RingoCollins, ROBINV, TERRY308 & VAM. And I don't mean one or two entries here or there. Depending on how long they were logged in and moving about the board, there are 4, 8, 12 or more entries all occurring in as little as 10 minutes.

I have no idea why all these people are generating this error because the index.html file doesn't need to have execute permissions set for it. And I really have no idea why it seems to only be these people and not others - most notably not Midnite, dom or myself. But I would be very interested to hear from any of the people on the above lists who might have had problems during the past two days that they haven't already reported. The easiest thing to do would probably be just to post them here in this topic. I've already sent a message to our new host, asking them for specific reasons why that error is generated in our error_log, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 06:07:20 AM »

MB........
I never saw error messages today, nor was I aware of any particular problems today.  No delays, no freezing up, and no being thrown out and having to come back in.  Nothing at all today.

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 06:12:43 AM »
The board froze up on me yesterday as I was backing out of one page to go to another topic.   As the page slid to the left it just stopped half way and froze there for a little while. I did see an error message this morning but I just backed out of it and started over.  I have not had any other problems.  Hope this info helps.
MM

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2003, 09:05:42 AM »
I have not had any freeze ups, but once or twice I have gotten a 'page not found' when I move from thread to thread.  I hit back on the browser, and it has caught up.  Sometimes the board has seemed a bit slow, but I thought it may be our connection, as many sites have been slower than they should be lately.  But no major problems.

I usually leave myself logged in [will I go blind?] and wonder if that is a similarity to the other posters listed as getting that error message?

Thanks for the efforts,
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2003, 09:47:37 AM »
Yes, my computer has froze up on me about 5 or 6 times.  I have to restart the computer when it does this...and only in the Dark Shadows Forum.

Help!!!
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Connie

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 11:01:27 AM »
...once or twice I have gotten a 'page not found' when I move from thread to thread.  I hit back on the browser, and it has caught up.

Hi MB....;D
Same here - think that happened yesterday or day before a few times, but that's about it.  Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, board doesn't seem slow, and no freeze-ups.  (knock on wood)
Screwy little things that happen here and there, I tend to ignore and don't remember them. 

Ringo asks:
I usually leave myself logged in [will I go blind?]

Dear Ringo,
Yes you will.

;)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2003, 03:42:04 PM »
No problems of this nature whatsoever.  No freeze-ups or other problems.  

I am computer stupid, so I have no clue.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to shed more light on the problem.

Love, Robin

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2003, 10:47:52 PM »
I've had no problems with the Board from my computer at work.

I have an ongoing problem with my computer at home.  I haven't been online much in the last couple of days, but when I am on the Board from home, if I follow a link then try to go back to the Board I get the error message to update my address to www.dsboards.com, which, of course, is what I have already been using. When this happens the only way to get back to the Board is to wait a few hours and try again.

I have not however, had any problems with freezing.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2003, 11:01:29 PM »
I usually leave myself logged in [will I go blind?] and wonder if that is a similarity to the other posters listed as getting that error message?
Ringo

I'm always logged in and this computer remains on from early morning to last-one-to-bed.....if that matters in some way...?!?

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2003, 11:47:01 PM »
MB,
    I am having trouble.  I get the message #590 Unchunk Failure.  I was able to type this message by getting access to the board through Microsoft Internet Explorer.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2003, 12:41:05 AM »
once or twice I have gotten a 'page not found' when I move from thread to thread.

Ringo, do you mean you've recieved a 404 error like this:

[backcolor=white] 404 Not found

The page you are looking for can't be found. The page may no longer exist or it may have been moved or renamed.
[/backcolor]
That's a server error and could be related to the error I discovered in the error_log yesterday. If you ever get it again, could you please either copy down what the entire page says, or perhaps make a screen capture of the page and post it here?

Thanks. ;)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2003, 01:20:25 AM »
I haven't had any problems on my end - either at work (where I do most of my posts) or at home.  The only thing we were having problems with last week was email - our network administrator told me early last week that our GroupWise accounts weren't able to interact with Yahoo accounts.  And there was rumor of some virus affecting the Internet last week - which I hate to admit, I pretty much ignored.  I did notice a problem trying to bring up my hotmail and Bravenet accounts and couldn't access Google a few times.  But, as I said, this board seemed fine every time I tried.  

BTW: Just a quick aside - I discovered another board with this type of interface via my old high school web site. Just out of curiosity I signed on.  It's fairly well done but isn't monitored very well at all.  Some of the posts were borderline disgusting!  It made me ashamed of some of those goofballs and, at the same time, really appreciate even more all that you guys (MB, Midnite & Dom) do to keep this place a nice place to visit - THANKS!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2003, 01:34:25 AM »
I get the message #590 Unchunk Failure.

Whoa! I've never seen or even heard of that server error before. It's definitely not one of the customized international server error responses (which are #400 Bad Request, #401 Authorization Required, #403 Forbidden, #404 Not Found, and #500 Internal Server Error). These five errors crop up most often. There are a handful of others that rarely occur (like #406 No Acceptable Variant, and #505 HTTP Version Not Supported). And then there are those that almost never occur. I suspect #590 must belong to the last group, but I've honestly only head of error numbers 300-305, 400-415, and 500-505. I suppose I'll have to do some research...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2003, 02:07:18 AM »
Well, I did some Web searches with a few different search engines and couldn't come up with any references to a 590 error. However, I did learn that unchunk is a filter that's most likely involved in passing data from the server to the Perl scripts that run the forum, or perhaps from the scripts/server to your browser. Apparently there must have been some sort of hiccup in the process when you received the error, onyx_treasure, and so that's why the server told you there had been an unchunk failure.

Since there's apparently so little documentation on the 590 error, I'm still going to assume that it's one that almost never occurs. Hopefully you won't see it again. ;)