Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0932  (Read 1793 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0932
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:46:16 AM »

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss - Ep #0932
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
1/20/70

On Charmed death made about 3 appearances and he was very much like Mr. Best!  Perhaps the writers modeled “death” after Mr. Best as they are very similar?  

I love to watch GH and Selby work together as well.  Again it's nice to see Collinsport.  I like all the funky colors in Mr. Best “little hotel.” I love the music as well as it's very fitting.  An aussie doorman??  

Hmm….I kind of think Quentin and Julia would make a good couple!  I for one am glad that Quentin is back as Q!

(edited by admin)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:13:44 AM »
1/20/70
Six minutes left and no GH! I bet you a hundred bucks she is puffing on the sidelines!

LOL... We've learned to think in "parallel time", haven't we?

Death Records a Voiceover.   Why would an image Q has never seen (his uglified self) trigger his memory?

Well, that's all I got in my notes...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:23:37 AM »
This was an All Quentin And Amanda episode, with no Leviathans in sight.

It's a real stretch of my imagination for me to believe that simply seeing the portrait brought back Quentin's memory.  The last time Quentin saw that portrait, it looked nearly exactly like him, and now I don't see anything of Quentin in it.  It's just a random old man with bleeding wounds, painted in a style that does not look like Charles Delaware Tate's.  I suppose, however, that we have to suspend disbelief and accept that Quentin does see himself and all his misdeeds in it.  But why all the misdeeds?  I remember remarking when Quentin was in the hospital that he was a pleasanter amnesiac than Jeff Clark was.  Hasn't he done anything good in the past 70 years?  Even if he couldn't remember it, the portrait would.

The accident that landed Quentin into the hospital must have been quite a severe one if the portrait couldn't heal his wounds right away.  Bravo, Barnabas!  Very neatly executed!  And, returning to a previous issue: If the accident caused the amnesia, then the portrait was a little slow in dealing with it.  Or was Quentin's proximity to the portrait needed for the power necessary to effect a cure?  Or was the amnesia not physically induced but rather supernaturally caused by Leviathan power, which, as we have seen with Barnabas and Philip, does not necessarily have lasting effects?

When Sam Evans died, did he go to Mr. Best's hotel in his raincoat and sunglasses?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:21 AM »
I think the portrait keeps Q from aging and being a werewolf (and absorbs sins I guess), but doesn't cure him of wounds or illnesses.   I think he can die from being shot, say, just like everyone else.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
In 1897, the portrait took care of a cut on Quentin's face.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »
In 1897, the portrait took care of a cut on Quentin's face.

Funny, I just watched that episode last night in bed. Petofi busts the wine glass and then cuts Q. Then the portrait bleeds! After that car crash, that portrait must've been gushing! Perhaps the landscape overlay held in the blood... Hmmm.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:52:10 AM »
My memory from the other day of the painting is that there was quite a bit of blood on the face.  I remember being surprised by it, and thinking that the wounds from the car crash should have healed by this time, but maybe there would have been additional issues that would have kept the wounds from healing.

Looking at the capture of it in Robservations, I don't see all the blood that I remember.  I don't know if it's that my memory is wrong or if the capture subdues the red.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 06:28:17 AM »
The final scene of the previous ep was reshot-- with identical dialogue and camerawork-- except we actually see the portrait this time.

The portrait was separated from its frame long ago, so now the "Quentin Collins, 1897" is printed directly on the canvas, and we're not supposed to notice that it wasn't there before.

The Stopping Off Place is now the Passing Through Place, and I wonder why Amanda behaves as if she's never seen it before even though she once related her memories of being there in 1897 to Julia.

Mr. Best is aware that Quentin lives "courtesy of Count Petofi," and do you suppose Death and the Count have ever met?

Quentin:  "I'll love her like no other woman's ever been loved."
::swoons::

Goodbye to Olivia Corey, because the end credits are calling her Amanda Harris again.

(edited)
Taeylor, these comments are not for this episode, which may solve the mystery of why you didn't review #933.  Just to be sure, I'll move them after I've had a chance to watch it.

The accident that landed Quentin into the hospital must have been quite a severe one if the portrait couldn't heal his wounds right away.  Bravo, Barnabas!  Very neatly executed!
If Barnabas really did mean business, hitting Grant hard enough to kill him, maybe it's Quentin's death that the portrait prevented?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »
Thanks Midnite. I am sure that is what the problem is reading my comments again.  Sorry guys...this was during the time I was in a great deal of pain but trying to stay caught up.  Again sorry for the confusion.  And thanks a bunch.  Off topic:  feeling so much better thankfully!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:34:52 AM »
I'm so glad you're feeling better, Taeylor!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:41:21 AM »
Ditto, T!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 10:57:44 PM »
Looking at the capture of it in Robservations, I don't see all the blood that I remember.  I don't know if it's that my memory is wrong or if the capture subdues the red.

All that was ever shown in Ep #844 were those three streams of blood running down the portrait's face:

;)  Though at one point the first and second merged into one and third became a trickle as I suppose we could say the portrait "healed" (though in reality it was probably because they ran out of "blood."  :D):

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 08:22:35 AM »
In the 1970, aged version of the portrait, there seemed to be lots of blood, but now I'm wondering if what I interpreted as blood was in fact an attempt to depict a rosy hue in the subject's cheeks.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 02:59:35 AM »
The portrait look really beat up. Maybe that is Quentin's life experience.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate