Author Topic: Vampire/creature movies?  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire/creature movies?
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2002, 04:42:34 AM »
And the upcoming "Possession" (again, with Paltrow) based on the novel by A.S. Byatt should be another interesting look at the Victorian period through the eyes of two 20th-century characters.

You must be a more hopeful person than I, Vlad, if you think there's a chance in hell that a film version of "Possession" will do the book justice.  Have you ever seen the appalling travesty they made out of "Angels and Insects"?   What a shame that even a writer of Byatt's genius isn't immune to the siren call of movie-money.  Her novels are so complicated in structure,  it simply isn't possible to do them justice within the constraints of film.....I can never understand what drives people to even TRY!!  

I frequently wish there was a law prohibiting the remaking of literary works into motion pictures.  If you want to make films, you should be required to think up your own damned stories!!!

Rainey....obviously in curmudgeon mode tonight.  :P
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2002, 10:28:02 PM »

You must be a more hopeful person than I, Vlad, if you think there's a chance in hell that a film version of "Possession" will do the book justice.  Have you ever seen the appalling travesty they made out of "Angels and Insects"?   What a shame that even a writer of Byatt's genius isn't immune to the siren call of movie-money.  Her novels are so complicated in structure,  it simply isn't possible to do them justice within the constraints of film.....I can never understand what drives people to even TRY!!  

I fear I'm not hopeful either.  And this is considering that Jennifer Ehle is in the film.  It's just one of those books that's too complicated and has so many layers that a film adaptation is almost guaranteed to blow chunks . . .

It's one of my all time favorite novels too  :'(

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2002, 11:31:18 PM »
It's one of my all time favorite novels too  :'(

You and I seem to have very similar tastes in literature, Luciaphil.  I don't know another person who has actually READ "Possession"....which doesn't say much for MY circle, as it took the 'Booker' prize.  ::)

But I fear we're drifting dangerously off topic!!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2002, 09:05:39 AM »
One movie that has always stuck with me is "Vampire" from '79 starring Richard Lynch as Prince Anton Voytek.  That scene where he digs his way out of his grave with an unholy shriek!  :o   He has a natural mug to play the undead, ranks right up there with Frid.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2002, 08:06:52 PM »
I frequently wish there was a law prohibiting the remaking of literary works into motion pictures.  If you want to make films, you should be required to think up your own damned stories!!!

LMAO! [hello] I agree!!! Hollywood has run out of original ideas....they re-make books, tv shows, and do 2nd and 3rd and 4th versions of movies. Oyy *holds head* No one is creative enough to come up with an original idea, and yet there are soooo many books published each year.....hmmm? Think that tells us something? Maybe Hollywood is like Collinwood......if you go there, nothing makes sense anymore and it somehow makes you forget how to think....LOL ;)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2002, 02:51:05 AM »

You must be a more hopeful person than I, Vlad, if you think there's a chance in hell that a film version of "Possession" will do the book justice.

OT -

I'm usually disappointed in movie adaptations of books, too, whether literary or not.  Some you just have to enjoy on their own terms ... I read an essay by John Fowles and he was pleased with the film "interpretation" of his novel "The French Lieutenant's Woman," also a layered and complex novel, despite the fact that the movie completely invented the modern storyline of a 20th century film crew making a movie of The French Lieutenant's Woman.  Sometimes the right mixture of talent and creativity comes together and produces something wonderful, but I'm right behind you in lamenting how seldom this happens.  Just don't get me started on the subject of remakes ...

obviously in curmudgeon mode tonight.  :P

I'll say!  Whew!
;)
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995