Author Topic: Vampire/creature movies?  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire/creature movies?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2002, 07:19:12 AM »
Not to mention that the movie is a complete perversion of Stoker's novel when it comes to characters and themes.  "Coppola's Dracula," yes.  "Bram Stoker's," no.

I don't remember too much of the movie, but I remember being anxious to see it because all of the publicity beforehand indicated that this was "Bram Stoker's" Dracula - presumably really faithful to the book for a change.

The only thing I specifically recall is the scene when Dracula has Mina drink from his vein.  In the book I would compare that to a rape.  He forced her to do this horrid thing.  In the movie they made it like a love scene and she was quite willing.  I don't remember whether the rest was fairly close to the book or not, that one drastic change infuriated me!
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2002, 02:20:07 AM »

I don't remember too much of the movie, but I remember being anxious to see it because all of the publicity beforehand indicated that this was "Bram Stoker's" Dracula - presumably really faithful to the book for a change.

The only thing I specifically recall is the scene when Dracula has Mina drink from his vein.  In the book I would compare that to a rape.  He forced her to do this horrid thing.  In the movie they made it like a love scene and she was quite willing.  I don't remember whether the rest was fairly close to the book or not, that one drastic change infuriated me!

Oh-oh, Josette!  You've pushed one of my hot buttons!  But since you pose the question, I feel obligated to elaborate.

WARNING: I have strong views on the subject of Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula.  I don't wish to antagonize anyone, so if you're a fan of this movie, please realize that this is my honest opinion and hopefully we can agree to disagree on this one matter.  That caveat aside ...

I, too, heard all the studio (and, alas, critical) hype when this movie came out.  I was immediately skeptical, though, upon hearing/reading the breathless descriptions of the movie by various critics.  What they said indicated to me that the movie diverged sharply from Bram Stoker's novel.  Because of my high regard for the novel, I refused to see the movie for years.  Finally, when it aired on cable a few years ago, my curiosity got the better of me.  I tuned in, but I couldn't make it past the first half hour or so.  I tried a second time some months later with the same results.  Finally, perhaps a year or so later, I forced myself to sit through the entire thing.

To see a favorite book trivialized, mocked, and destroyed was sickening.  The movie generally followed the plot of the novel and the characters had the same names.  :) All similarities end there.  The characters bore no relation to the characters Stoker created.  The entire focus/intent of the book was turned upside-down.  In Stoker's vision, Dracula is a force of horrifying evil who must be destroyed.  Instead of the powerful but aged warrior Stoker describes at the beginning of the novel (and depicted quite well in the Dan Curtis version and to a "T" in the Spanish-made Christopher Lee version), Coppola presents a bizarre-looking freak.  In place of the powerful figure of unmitigated evil who cuts a swath of destruction in England, Coppolla depicts a dandified, lovestruck romantic.  Lucy Westenra is portrayed as a silly, shallow fool in place of Stoker's tragic, estimable woman.  Mina fares no better, nor do any of the other characters.

IMO, the film was a mockery of the greatest vampire novel ever written.

The film's writer appeared on the "Dracula" segment of TLC's great books series a couple of years ago.  From what he said, he must truly have hated Stoker's views to have degraded them so.  Instead of the heroic figures of Arthur, Jonathan Harker and Van Helsing, who valianty fight against the darkness, the Coppolla-movie writer saw them as simplistic Christians (perhaps this was his key problem with the book) who hypocritcally are "gang-banging" Lucy when they stake her.

All I can say is I found this disgusting in the extreme, and as I said earlier, a complete perversion of what Stoker wrote.

I think a major problem was the writer's (and presumably Coppola's) lack of respect or understanding for the whole Victorian era.  They preferred to mock it, while showing the "superiority" of their own "enlightened" 20th century attitudes (this was clear in the interview).

It's not that I'm a narrow-minded purist when it comes to translating literature for the screen.  Of course I hope for a faithful adaptation, but I also think creative use of the source is possible.  I had similar reservations about seeing the Ethan Hawke-Gwenyth Paltrow version of "Great Expectations" a couple of years ago.  I finally saw it on video last year and was pleasantly surprised.  That movie shows how a Victorian-era novel can be updated to incorporate today's sensibilities without destroying all semblance of the author's intent and meaning.  It isn't exactly "Charles Dickens' " Great Expectations, but then it didn't claim to be the most faithful adaptation of Dickens' work, either.  Rather, it was a smart updating and variation on the original.  No one was confused or mislead into thinking that they were viewing Dickens' "original" work just as he wrote it.

Another movie that does an excellent job looking at the Victorian era, with all of its drawbacks and hypocrasies, but while maintaining integrity, through a 20th century lens is "The French Lieutenant's Woman."  (Which, incidentally, very creatively re-imagines the novel in cinematic terms.)  And the upcoming "Possession" (again, with Paltrow) based on the novel by A.S. Byatt should be another interesting look at the Victorian period through the eyes of two 20th-century characters.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2002, 03:01:04 AM »

My favorite vampire movie is a really old, silent film made in 1915, saw it a couple of times on tv, but can't remember the name. It was shown on one of the channels that shows old movies. My favorite creature movie is John Carpenter's The Thing (1982), I saw that movie several times at the theater, bought the video, soundtrack album, and got to meet my favorite actor from the film, David Clennon. He reserved tickets for me to go to a play of his too, and I couldn't go, bummer!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2002, 03:08:53 AM »
Did you mean "Noserferatu" as the old vampire movie? If so, yes, it is very creepy.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2002, 07:05:41 PM »
Interesting topic and great responses.  As for me, creature-wise, I've always been drawn to the vampires - OH, well who here hasn't been! LOL! And since the main reason for many of us has less to do with horror than sex appeal I will simply say that my vote for the Hottest Vampire of stage and screen award goes to ¢â‚¬¦

[shadow=red,left,300]Frank Langella [/shadow] in the 1979 version of Dracula .  

There was something so mysterious and gorgeous about him in that film and his performance was the inspiration for one of the most vivid and ethereal dreams I ever had.  [nuts]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline DSFAN4EVER

• Junior Poster
  • ...yeah, yeah I know BIG TEETH run in our family!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2002, 07:21:39 PM »
Hello all...
Ever since I was a little kid I always enjoyed anything to do with vampires, and still do now as an adult.
I enjoy reading "The Vampire chronicles" by Anne Rice.
I also enjoy watching Forever Knight, which comes on right after DS.
PEACE TO ALL!!!!

DSFAN4EVER

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2002, 08:41:33 PM »
.... my vote for the Hottest Vampire of stage and screen award goes to ¢â‚¬¦

[shadow=red,left,300]Frank Langella [/shadow] in the 1979 version of Dracula .  [nuts]

Oh MY, yes!!!!.....Saw him in the Broadway production.....women were swooning all over the place...the boyfriend (now the hubby) was not amused  [lghy] !!

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2002, 11:52:11 PM »

Oh MY, yes!!!!.....Saw him in the Broadway production.....women were swooning all over the place...the boyfriend (now the hubby) was not amused  [lghy] !!

Rainey

I was lucky enough to see Frank Langella as Dracula in the Broadway production as well. It was different from the movie version he did later; the play took place in the roaring 20's and all the women were dressed as flappers. Also, there was a strong element of comedy in the play as well. I was terribly disappointed in the film version which had nothing to do with the play but instead merely re-told the original story for the umpteenth time. :(

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2002, 03:53:58 AM »
I've corrected the spelling of "Coppola" in my post above.  I knew in the back of my mind that I was misspelling it as I was typing, but I was in too much of a rush to check for sure.  Since I was and am very critical of Coppola with respect to this movie, I feel I should at least spell his name right.  :)

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2002, 05:29:52 AM »
 And the upcoming "Possession" (again, with Paltrow) based on the novel by A.S. Byatt should be another interesting look at the Victorian period through the eyes of two 20th-century characters.

Oh, you've mentioned one of my top ten favorite books!I do SO hope they do a good job with it. Paltrow doesn't generally associate herself with poor productions, so that is hopeful. I never did see her "Great Expectations", guess I will have to rent it. There have been several updates on classics that I have really enjoyed, such as "Clueless" and "Ten Things I Hate About You". Thought "O" was alright too.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2002, 07:54:24 AM »
If Noserferatu is the film where the vampire has creepy looking fingers, pointy ears, and comes out of the basement ,then yes Carol, that's the one. I don't think any other vampire films were made in 1915, were they?  ?!?
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2002, 12:10:44 PM »
Great question!

My favorite vampire movie is probably SALEM's LOT.  I read the book, which terrified me (I was afraid to look out my windows just in case a vampire was hovering there, calling to me to be let in), so when they made a movie, I was very excited about it.  While SALEM'S LOT wasn't a theatrical flick, I still enjoyed it and found it creepy.  And they brought the child floating outside his brother's window so effectively, I had nightmares!  

I also like the original version of DRACULA.  

Love, Robin

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2002, 10:36:07 PM »
If Noserferatu is the film where the vampire has creepy looking fingers, pointy ears, and comes out of the basement ,then yes Carol, that's the one. I don't think any other vampire films were made in 1915, were they?  ?!?

Yes, that sounds like the original Nosferatu. It was made in Germany and the widow of Bram Stoker sued the producers for copyright infringement, and won a court order to have the film destroyed. Prints survived, however, and made the rounds. Some time in the 70's I bought an 8mm version of this print. The film was also re-made in color in the 1980's.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2002, 04:12:08 AM »
My favorite vampire movie is probably SALEM's LOT.  I read the book, which terrified me (I was afraid to look out my windows just in case a vampire was hovering there, calling to me to be let in), so when they made a movie, I was very excited about it.  While SALEM'S LOT wasn't a theatrical flick, I still enjoyed it and found it creepy.  And they brought the child floating outside his brother's window so effectively, I had nightmares!

I just bought the DVD of "Salem's Lot" about an hour ago since I had a discount coupon at a bookstore that expired today, and it was only $12 to start with.  The only problem is, I don't have a DVD player!  I agree, that scene with the little brother floating outside the window was great!

kuanyin wrote:
Oh, you've mentioned one of my top ten favorite books!I do SO hope they do a good job with it. Paltrow doesn't generally associate herself with poor productions, so that is hopeful. I never did see her "Great Expectations", guess I will have to rent it. There have been several updates on classics that I have really enjoyed, such as "Clueless" and "Ten Things I Hate About You". Thought "O" was alright too.

"O"?  I think I've heard of "The Story of O" ...

Just so as not to mislead anyone,  "Possession" is not about demonic possession  :o or anything Exorcist-like.

Kuanyin: The book was highly recommended to me, and I've had a copy for several years but haven't read it yet.  A guy used to come into work shaking from excitement from reading it.  Jeremy Northam is costarring with Gwenyth; he replaced Ralph Fiennes.  The release date has changed several times and is now scheduled for limited release on August 30.

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2002, 04:36:30 AM »
I just bought the DVD of "Salem's Lot" about an hour ago since I had a discount coupon at a bookstore that expired today, and it was only $12 to start with.  The only problem is, I don't have a DVD player!

Don't feel bad, Robin. I ordered the DS DVD and I don't have a DVD player either! DVD's are the thing of the future so I might as well start.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe