Author Topic: cant post/reply  (Read 2159 times)

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
cant post/reply
« on: April 24, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
i cant reply to personal messages or posts. i keep getting some error message saying my last post was 120 seconds ago or something like that. i havent replied to anything here in a week!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: cant post/reply
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
Since you were able to post as a new topic at the time you submitted the message, you were also able to reply or respond to PMs.  It was a matter of timing.

There are quite a few posts explaining the 120 second error; the following topic on this same board is one of these explanations (see the thread for more) and is called "The 120 Second Posting Rule"--

Though the simple explanation is that 2 minutes need to pass after logging in before you try to submit a post/send a PM, and 2 minutes also need to pass between submitting posts/sending PMs.

There's additional info on it here--

the 120 second limit on posting...

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 01:04:50 AM »
i now can reply to post but still cant reply to personal messages left for me. i waited hours not minutes before attempting again but still the same 120second error message comes up.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 01:33:03 AM »
It makes a difference if you have something pertinent to say.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:05:42 AM »
Apparently you have to wait 2 minutes after logging in to post no matter how long you've been away from the board.  Also, if you get the wait-120-seconds notice rightly or wrongly, you have to wait another 120 seconds to try again.   If it's none of those things, I guess it would be a board problem.   

I copy my posts just in case some unexpected 120-secong message comes up (and I'm thrown back to an empty posting screen) or some other glitch that occasionally obliterates posts.   I wait three minutes to repost just to make sure.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:32:52 AM »
If by not being able to reply to PMs you mean that you're getting the 120 second error message, then it's not a matter of PMs vs. replying but a result of trying to perform one of the tasks that's covered by the 120-sec rule before that amount of time has passed.

As mentioned in the linked topics, after signing in to your account you must wait 120 seconds before you can reply to a post, start a new topic, or send a PM.  And all of these board tasks require a 120 sec wait before repeating the same task or performing a different one.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 05:39:09 AM »
it seems to be working now. magnus: how do you copy anything before posting when right clicks are disabled on this message board?

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »
If you are using Internet Explorer at the top of my browser there is a link listed "PAGE" and it has the "CUT" and "PASTE" All you do is highlight the body of work you wanna copy or cut (from another source) and then use the "PAGE" link and hit "PASTE"  Like I state I am using IE so it may be different for you if you are using another browser!  Hope that helps.  I couldn't figure it out until I ask Midnite about a year ago!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 06:39:43 AM »
Just so as to overload you completely with information joe, I also have Internet Explorer but I just highlight the text, then click on "Edit" at the top of my screen, then under that click on "Copy".

Sometimes I've gone to the trouble of actually storing it in my records, but copying is usually enough, as long as I don't forget I've done it and then copy some other bit of text, thereby wiping the copy I just made of my DS post.

MB explained this to me I think. 
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:07:48 AM »
To copy, I highlight my text and push the CTRL + C buttons on the keyboard.

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »
TOPIC: Cutting and Pasting

What's not allowed is using your right-click mouse button to copy/paste.  But you can still highlight and use the copy or paste options in your browser's dropdown menu under Edit, or if you prefer keyboard shortcuts you can use the Windows hot keys Ctrl+C or Ctrl+V respectively.  Hope that helped.

The Testing 1, 2, 3 board-- it's a good thing. [smlyb]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
MB explained this to me I think.

Yes, I did. And as Midnite pointed out, this board is also an excellent resources for finding out how to do practically everything. The Search feature is a very valuable thing.  [ghost_wink]

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 07:41:25 PM »
well thanks for the info. but why is the right click feature disabled anyway? i thought it was to keep people from copying text and posting it elsewhere but if u can do it another way, why is right clicking disabled at all?