Author Topic: Searching....  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Searching....
« on: February 24, 2004, 07:39:57 PM »
I was looking for the topic that MB had about colors & their codes.

Couldn't find in, went to the 'Search' key, put in 'color' and I got stuff like my Happy B-day to Perankh, and other odds & ends??????

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Searching....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 08:53:22 PM »
Patti.....the thread you are looking for is called "Color Names and Custom Colors" and is currently on Testing 1,2,3,....on page 9.
 :D

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:11:32 AM »
Patti,

Did you use the regular or the advanced search? If you used the regular, then any post containing the word "color", including the tag for a YaBBC color code would come up, which is why you got results like those birthday wishes. However, with the advanced search feature, you have the option of only seaching through post titles containing a certain word or words.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:43:57 AM »
Thank you MB (and Rainey).

MB, I did what you said, this time using the word Hair.

I unclicked stuff like Luciaphil's & Robservations; and I'm almost positive there've been more than 1 or 2 topics with hair; but, it said return to main page (cause there were no results).

Patti

PS...and I've been meaning to ask this...is there a way that specific topics (such as colors, quoting, etc) that would always be important can be in a set place? (Like, I didn't go as far as page 9; but I did read quite a few other pages).

What a Woman!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 12:53:23 AM »
E9967A dark salmon

Okay, if I wanted to, couldn't I instead of typing
Code: [Select]
[color=darksalmon][/color] type the hexidecimal version?

Also MB, you said that there'd be more:

Can we have more colors PLEEEAAASSSEE!

Patti

Did I do this right (to show the coding?)
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 01:21:21 AM »
I unclicked stuff like Luciaphil's & Robservations; and I'm almost positive there've been more than 1 or 2 topics with hair; but, it said return to main page (cause there were no results).

The default timeframe for a search is only the past 60 days. To see posts older than that, you have to increase the time. For example, if you wanted to look for the posts from the past year that contain the word "hair," you'd change the 60 in the "days" box under "Max Age since last post:" to 365. (And you also might want to increase the default number in the "Display how many results?" box because it's set to show only the 50 most recent posts.  ;))

is there a way that specific topics (such as colors, quoting, etc) that would always be important can be in a set place?

Maybe. Unfortunately there are a lot of posts on Testing that are important and we can't actually put them all in a specific place or board because eventually the same thing would happen all over again and that place or board would need to be searched for them. But what we might be able to do (after the conversion to the new system) is perhaps post sort of a "table of contents" topic that could contain links to the most useful topics on the Testing board, and then instead of having to search for them, members could just click on the links in that post.  ;)

E9967A dark salmon

Okay, if I wanted to, couldn't I instead of typing
Code: [Select]
[color=darksalmon][/color] type the hexidecimal version?

Yes, that's exactly how you'd do it.  :)

Also MB, you said that there'd be more:

Can we have more colors PLEEEAAASSSEE!

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The colors that are listed in "Color Names and Custom Colors" are the only colors that have names - there aren't any more as of this moment. And as far as using hexidecimal codes goes, there are 16,777,216 colors already available (though some of them are pretty indistiguishable from each other).

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 02:11:01 AM »
(And you also might want to increase the default number in the "Display how many results?" box because it's set to show only the 50 most recent posts.  )

MB...I actually did change it to 300 days, but does the above mean all last 50 of posts about everything, or just last 50 posts pertaining to the subject?

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 03:06:22 AM »
Up to the latest 50 posts containing whatever it is that you're searching for should come up.  :)  Depending on what you're looking for, less than 50 could come up, but no more than 50...