Author Topic: Collectable Question  (Read 1071 times)

Offline petofi

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
Collectable Question
« on: December 09, 2002, 05:46:18 AM »
For anyone who may have an idea:

I recently aquired a promo copy(black and white label) of "I wanna dance with you," complete with picture sleeve.  However, since it is a promo copy, there seems to be a few differences in the sleeve.  First, the sleeve itself seems to be made from a thinner, non-slick paper.  The front has a black and white photo of Selby and Barrett in profile against a white background.  However, Selby's last name is misspelled "shelby" on the sleeve!  Also, the cofiguration of the lettering is different than pics I have seen elsewhere.  In other examples, "David Selby and Nacy Barrett" appears in the upper left corner, above the image of the two actors.  The words "sing I wanna dance with you 40648" are directly to the right of the actor's image.  
       On the promo sleeve which I possess, The upper left area is taken up by the copy, '' from ABC-TV's Dark Shadows - The Robert Cobert Orchestra."  Appearing to the right of the actors image is the entire text mentioned in the preceding paragraph, but with the "Shelby" misspelling.  Has anyone else seen this anomalous picture sleeve?

petofi

Selby_D._Pearson

Re: Collectable Question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 12:28:48 PM »
I have heard of fans who own the mis-spelled "Shelby" sleeve of the 45. However, I am not aware if their copies are promos or not. It seems to me that while this is indeed a rare collectible, there must have been sizeable quantities available for purchase when it was first released.

SDP

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2002, 09:49:29 PM »
I have heard of fans who own the mis-spelled "Shelby" sleeve of the 45. However, I am not aware if their copies are promos or not. It seems to me that while this is indeed a rare collectible, there must have been sizeable quantities available for purchase when it was first released.

SDP

There is indeed a large quantity of the Shelby sleeves out there. As far as the "promo" part of the question, I have never seen anything but the promo version of that particular 45rpm record, so that leads me to believe it may have only been released in promo format back then.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2002, 10:18:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, Selby D. and Bobubas!  

petofi

Connie

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2002, 10:23:23 PM »
I don't know anything about collectibles, but I must say...that Shelby guy is one helluva crooner, isn't he?
(So many talents -- so little time).  LOL
He can juggle too.  Sort of.

-CLC  ;)

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 04:29:53 AM »
Petofi -

I too have a promo copy of the "SHelby" misprint 45 record, and it is also on the thin paper.  It wasn't unusual for Phillips to use that thin paper on their 45's back in the late 60's. I have a regular store copy of Blue Cheer's "SUmmertime Blues" from 1968 that is also on the cheap thin paper.

I assume there is an alternate copy that must exist out there, because in the WORLD OF DARK SHADOWS fanzine #39,  on page 40, there is a picure of an alternate cover for the 45. This one has different style lettering, and the "Shelby mistake corrected to Selby.  Perhaps this is the store copy, and all the promo issues contain the "Shelby" reference. I can send you a photo copy if you wish in your email.  I don't know how to post pictures on the board!

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 06:19:26 PM »
Please DO send the pic via email, Doom, and thanks!

petofi(@hotmail.com)