Author Topic: Where Does a Vampire Go On Vacation?  (Read 846 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Where Does a Vampire Go On Vacation?
« on: December 09, 2002, 02:57:06 AM »
Well, since Sci-Fi has decided to take this vacation (interrupted for one week later this month) from our favorite show, it might be interesting to note how many of the cast members actually took their own holidays and vacations during the 1897 storyline.  Not to worry, anyone - no spoilers here.  Just because various actors/actresses took some time off will reveal nothing about plots.  

As we already all know, the original 1897 story was to last about three months, but because of the sky-rocketting ratings, it was expanded to approximately nine months.  Because of that, plots had to either be expanded and made more complex, or a whole series of subplots were written in.  With that much, it gave the performers chances to take some time off, sometimes for several months.  Kathryn Leigh Scott took advantage to have some R&R.  Jonathan Frid did so as well.  The most famous of temporary departures to kick back and do other stuff was Joan Bennett.  And others in the cast did likewise for certain lengths of time.  Yet with these granted leaves-of-absence, the plots just plugged right along, focusing on other characters until they got their turns to take some time off, and the others returned, refreshed, ready and rarin' to go.

That was a different time, a different era in television, especially day-time TV.  While the actors/actresses obviously loved their work, like work it undoubtedly got tedious at times and they - like anyone else trying to earn a living to pay the bills - needed that occasional time-off.  They were fortunate that the whole 1897 storyline became so complex that they were all able to do it.

Gerard

Connie

Re: Where Does a Vampire Go On Vacation?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2002, 07:09:08 AM »
Hmm...it doesn't seem to me that David Selby got to take any time off.  (No fair....mon frere)
Did he?  Maybe Crisedye would know.  Hey...come to think of it, how come others got time off to do a play or whatever, and he didn't?  I think he was in something like 3 plays in 1970 and he was doing DS during the day, and doing a play at night.  Question: When did he get to eat, sleep, and learn his lines for the next day's show??

John Karlen took off for California, right?  That's why he was written out of 1897?  DC had to shmooze him back.  I hate having so little Carl.  Aside from you-know-who, he's my absolute favorite in 1897.  Karlen at his best IMHO.

-CLC

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 09:24:24 AM »
wasn't Selby brought in to give Frid some needed time off. This was his big break so doubt he wanted that much time off!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 01:06:00 PM »
I think he was in something like 3 plays in 1970 and he was doing DS during the day, and doing a play at night.  Question: When did he get to eat, sleep, and learn his lines for the next day's show??

This is probably how he managed to stay so slim all these years. ;-)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2002, 02:41:52 AM »

This is probably how he managed to stay so slim all these years. ;-)

Cassandra[/font]

yeah that man still looks good!!!!

jennifer

hey Connie at least Quentin put that santa hat on my daughter wouldn't for a Christmas card picture!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV