Author Topic: XMAS PARTY AT THE OLD HOUSE/OT  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
XMAS PARTY AT THE OLD HOUSE/OT
« on: December 01, 2002, 07:38:36 PM »
[wavey] [wavey] [beer] [beer]  Hello, all just thought
id' pass the message around to say that there wil
be a Xmas party at The Old House. Mrs. Johnson
and Beth will be catering it.  Dress is formal !!
Dinner is at 6pm.   Dancing to follow as well.
I'm of course Taking The Q-man !!!!!!  YUMMY!!!
( I BET YOU GUYS DIDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT HUH???)
                Love Anne See Ya There!!!
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: XMAS PARTY AT THE OLD HOUSE/OT
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2002, 10:39:37 PM »
I know this was written in fun, and Dom and I have been intentionally overlooking all the recent brief references to posters adding themselves to the DS story cuz we KNOW it's just done in fun, but I have to be honest-- this one is really hard to overlook cuz it seems to lead posters into both role playing AND fan fiction, so I'm recommending that if anyone wants to continue Annie's theme, they can post their replies on scifi.com's Creative DS board:

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/browse.cgi/1/1/1851

or on another site that features fan fiction & role playing, sorry!

Annie, I'm just asking that you please not create a whole storyline about everybody being in the DS story, okay hon?

2. The purpose of these forums is to discuss DARK SHADOWS, its characters, actors and storylines. Role playing (putting oneself or another poster into the DS story) is discouraged, and repeated efforts to role play may result in removal of these posts from the board. This does not, however, refer to DS-related usernames or signatures. These forums also do not accept fan fiction and such works are subject to removal.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2002, 11:10:45 PM »
Sorry, Midnite i had forgotten all about that.
It won't happen again.   Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 04:48:38 AM »
Midnight, do you mind if I ask why? No need for a long answer, and just delete this if my asking bothers you, since I am basically just being curious. Personally, I'm not fond of role playing, anyway, though I'm not sure what it is about it that makes me feel that way.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 08:26:58 PM »
Midnight, do you mind if I ask why?

It's okay, kuanyin-- I don't the mind the question.  I've participated in DS role playing and it's a lot of fun, but the decision was made to not host role playing and fan fic for several reasons.  (Ack, all hope of being brief goes out the window!)

For one, it's always been a discussion forum.  And if RP and FF were allowed as well, posters would be able to do both limitlessly, and the mods couldn't possibly keep up with reading all the fiction and moderating the role playing.  And role playing can evolve into sophisticated games, which are more like "rule-playing" because they require their own guidelines, and none of us are interested in getting involved with gaming.  Another reason is that when the board was very young RP was occasionally used to ridicule others and cause problems while the posters were in character; of course all that was removed, but as we've seen time and again it only takes a handful of people to ruin something for others.  And since there are sites that accept both FF and RP, it's not like fans don't have other places in which to do either, and we've never discouraged links or invitations to role play elsewhere.  And I haven't addressed our bandwidth issues.

All we ask is that the role playing or short fiction not become ongoing as this topic was leading to.  We also ask that members not post in character according to their screen name or avatar, which is role playing in its purest form.

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 01:11:38 AM »
Thanks, that makes sense. I can see how role playing might kind of beat out discussion, which I prefer anyway, so probably why I like this site so much. And I promise to not say Barney made me do it!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton