Author Topic: A Question for the Collectors.......  (Read 986 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
A Question for the Collectors.......
« on: November 26, 2002, 08:58:39 PM »
.....which occured to me while I was in search of "Christmas Carol" tree ornaments: were there ever DS based Christmas ornaments?

I know there was an incredible amount of DS "stuff" back in the day but I don't think I've seen any mention of ornaments.

If they could sell out "Marley's Ghost" and "The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come" in a matter of days....why not the Ghost of Quentin Collins? :D

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Stuart

• Full Poster
  • Can you smell chips?
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Journal Online
Re: A Question for the Collectors.......
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2002, 11:25:10 PM »
A few years ago MPI produced (and probably still have tonnes of them) a super-ugly DS Christmas ornament, in the form of an oversized red bauble with the series logo... or a monogramed ball of Edam, depending on your POV... ;)

Not quite as hideously pointless as their DS boxer shorts and beach towel, but a pretty close runner-up, nevertheless...

http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com | The Dark Shadows News Page
http://www.collinwood.net | Visit the Dark Shadows Journal Online

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 12:12:50 AM »
Well, I'm not much for Xmas (though I've really come to appreciate the Winter Solstice in the past couple of years) but I think a tasteful ornament bearing a nice photo such as the candid one of Jonathan and Grayson in their 18th century costumes on the set of hoDS would make a lovely addition to any tree.

Unfortunately, if there were ever one marketed, I just know they would have one of those ghastly fanging portraits of Barnabas, luridly re-colored no doubt.

A bauble embossed with the silhouette of Collinwood against the rising full moon would be nice too.  For those who must, Santa and his sleigh could by flying against the moon.

Gothick

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 12:35:11 AM »
A few years ago MPI produced (and probably still have tonnes of them) a super-ugly DS Christmas ornament, in the form of an oversized red bauble with the series logo... or a monogramed ball of Edam, depending on your POV... ;)

Stuart,

Your description of the Dark Shadows ornament had me ROTFLMAO.  ;D

Here is a bit of trivia surrounding, as Stuart put it so eloquently... the RED BAUBLES

At the 1999 Festival, following what many fans who had endured it described as...."The Lyndhurst busride from hell" several of these fans were given one of the ornaments as a form of compensation for said busride.   ;)
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2002, 07:24:08 AM »

Stuart,
Your description of the Dark Shadows ornament had me ROTFLMAO.  ;D
Here is a bit of trivia surrounding, as Stuart put it so eloquently... the RED BAUBLES
At the 1999 Festival, following what many fans who had endured it described as...."The Lyndhurst busride from hell" several of these fans were given one of the ornaments as a form of compensation for said busride.   ;)

OMG!!!  If that's the standard, they'd better be prepared to hand out solid gold watches to the hearty souls who take that bus ride to Newport from Brooklyn!!!

I can't believe there actually WAS a DS Christmas ornament!!

And Steve, the ornament I was looking for, of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come would make a PERFECT Yule ornament, looking very much like the God of the Long Night! ;)

Thanks guys!

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2002, 05:59:30 PM »
Hi Raineypark,

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the ornaments you mention, the ones inspired by the Dickens Xmas Carol ghosts.  But my favorite Ghost of Yet to Come images are from the Alistair Sim film (the only Xmas movie I can really enjoy watching) and the Mr. Maggoo version.

The Ghost Yet to Come is such a beautiful image of all the fears that arise in the night of longest darkness, only to be conquered by the light of renewal, sparked by the flames of the Yule Log.

Seasonal thoughts to you and yours,

Steve