Author Topic: Personal Message to All My DS Friends ~ OT  (Read 3896 times)

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Message to All My DS Friends ~ OT
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2002, 12:52:12 AM »
Beth, no words can begin to express your loss but
my thoughts and prayers are with you!
if i could only show people(esp teenagers ) what smoking can do to you and make them understand
you are a hero for thinking of others during your own time of need. Please also take care of yourself we need more people like you in this world.
take care and good bless
patti v(aka jennifer)
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2002, 08:05:39 PM »
I'm very sorry about the loss of your mom, CastleBee. I know it's a sad time for you and yours. My heartfelt sympathy is with you, but I know that you'll always keep her in your heart.

Take care...
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2002, 03:28:31 AM »
Dear Castlebee,
       You have my deepest sympathy on the loss of your mother. It is especially hard when you know it is inevitable in the near future.
       I stopped smoking "cold turkey" 15 years ago and thank God every day that I had the strength to do it. I worry so much for my daughter who just can't seem to quit.
      I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
                                                        Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Rhonda

• Junior Poster
  • Whattya call a redhead with an attitude? Normal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2002, 03:55:39 AM »

My heart goes out to you. I know what it's like to lose a parent and how quickly it can happen.

I was fortunate to never put a cigarette in my mouth, but I have heard that quitting is worse then getting off of heroin, so I have much sympathy for those who are trying to quit.

Thank you for trying to save a life. And I wish you peace with your grief.

Rhonda
Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.

-Mae West

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2002, 07:51:52 PM »
Your posting touched me profoundly, Castlebee. Having lost my own dad (to congestive heart failure, not helped by his addiction to both alcohol and cigarettes), I can relate to the feelings you're experiencing. Alas, there's very little any of us can say to lighten your load. Time will really be your best friend. The weeks and months will go by, and while your hurt won't heal, Life will find a way to keep you going. Rest assured that your mom's in a much better place and that she's only a prayer/thought away.

As for smoking and the "older" generation, I'm about your age (born in late 1952) and can remember going on drives and family trips with both my parents as they smoked away like fiends. The car would be cloudy with smoke, and my two sisters and I would be inhaling all of it. Hopefully, we won't someday be victims of second-hand smoke (unheard of back then), but I can happily say that I've never smoked a cigarette myself. My younger sister is also smoke-free...though my older sister (now 55) has been hooked since age 15!

My uncle, who smoked (gasp) unfiltered cigarettes since the 1930's, passed away from lung cancer in 1998. He had the exact same symptoms as your mom--coughing up blood one day. That led to hospitalizations, pneumonia, the news that his cancer was inoperable, and his eventual death. It was a tough situation for all of us...mostly because he'd always been so hale and hearty. When I think of him, I remember his energy, mostly.

So, Castlebee, take heart...we're with you!  

Love - Rod

Offline Bernie

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2002, 02:00:49 AM »
Castlebee, I'm so very sorry to hear about your Mom.  Smoking is a terrible and stupid thing to do to yourself, but when your hooked, it's not easy to quit sometimes.

I smoked about a pack and a half for close to twenty years.  In '93, I came down with a severe case of asthmatic bronchitis. Even though I could hardly breathe, I continued to smoke.  Finally I realized the idiocy of it, so I quit cold turkey and never went back.

Bernie