Author Topic: Personal Message to All My DS Friends ~ OT  (Read 3895 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Personal Message to All My DS Friends ~ OT
« on: November 24, 2002, 01:13:10 AM »
Hello Everyone:

Just wanted to check in and say hello.  I haven*t been on the board lately due to the death of my mother one-week ago today.  As a couple of you knew, we discovered late last Spring that she had lung cancer.  

My mother was a wonderful woman who raised my sister and I alone after our father died at the very young age of 38 (now over 40 years ago).  Her love, strength and devotion to family got us through some very tough emotional times.  Needless to say, the three of us have remained very close.  A year ago she appeared to be in very good health and barely looked her 76 years.  As a matter of fact, one year ago exactly she was helping me through my own bout with cancer.  In the early months of the year she was still able to walk a mile around an indoor track at a fitness club in something like 10 minutes.  Then, one day on a trip to visit a relative she coughed up some blood.  

Even before the doctors diagnosed her, my sister and I both knew that her 50+ years of smoking had caught up with her.  I know many of you out there in my age group who had parents who were young in the 40*s and 50*s, have some understanding of the era of the socially acceptable cigarette.  It was cool, everyone did it, and very few questioned it.  They were hawked on television as a 'great way to relax', constantly endorsed by celebrities and nearly always present in films ~ smoked by the good, the bad, the ugly as well as the glamorous.  Looking back, it*s hard to believe, but when my mother became pregnant for the first time (for me circa 1954) and she questioned whether or not she should continue smoking she actually quoted the doctor as having said something to the effect, 'No need to quit now.'  Can you believe it?  By the time people began revolting against the idea and the anti-smoking campaigns hit television in the 1960s, she and so many others were hooked. Over the years my sister and I literally begged her to stop.  She made a few attempts but, unlike several friends and relatives, was never successful.  I know she wanted to stop.  But, even when people she knew died of lung cancer she kept going.  The best she was able to do was to become more sensitive and aware of 2nd hand smoke.  She began to either go outside or to a patio door to 'puff' (as we referred to it) when non-smokers were around.  Still, I cringed almost every time I saw her light up and at the same time I hoped against hope that it would never catch up with her.  But, it finally did.

I don*t mean to be preachy or depressing by mentioning all this.  I bring it up only because, for what it*s worth, I wanted to present this real life example of the result of what the tobacco companies have been allowed to get by with.  I know she made the decision to smoke and I know she took the responsibility for it.  You can only blame part of it on the social acceptability of the habit in the era in which she started. But, it is still a substance that creates an addiction on which the greedy, soulless tobacco industry is unfortunately still becoming fat and wealthy.  And, regardless of how much they protest to the contrary we all know they continue to try and pull teenagers into their web.  After all, my mother*s generation has just about played out for them.  So, if these mega-industries are to keep going, not unlike vampires, they MUST continuously have new blood.

So, what I really want to do is to strongly encourage those of you who smoke to PLEASE consider trying really hard to quit.  And, if you are young and considering it PLEASE think again and help run these scum bag parasites out of business. It may take many years or just a few but somehow, in some way tobacco will take its toll on you or someone you dearly love.  And, as much as I*ve enjoyed all of your online company I would really hate to see this happen to any of you!

God bless and take care,

CastleBee
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Personal Message to All My DS Friends ~ OT
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 01:56:15 AM »
I'm so sorry for your loss, CastleBee.  You have my condolences.

ProfStokes

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 02:01:47 AM »
Dear Castlebee, I'm very sorry for you and your sister.  Your Mother sounds like a very strong woman.  

What you said about smoking...I would like to put in my worth too.

Two years ago in September, I had pneumonia.  I was sitting in my living room, just got out of the hospital, smoking a cigarette.  I looked down at this cigarette I was smoking, and I finally hit me.  What was I doing?  Cigarettes: I give my money to them so they could slowly kill me?  I'm stronger then that.  So, I put out the cigarette, and it never got a hold of me again.  Cold turkey.  

So now, I feel stranger, sure, I gained weight because food tasted better, but I'm not killing myself.  And that is actually what I was doing.

God Bless you CastleBee.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 02:10:52 AM »
Castlebee -- My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother. She sounds like she was a wonderful person.

And your message about smoking is right on the money. If it's all the same to you, I'm going to forward it to my wife, who has tried umpteen times to quit, all unsuccessfully.

--Mark

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 03:11:35 AM »
Castlebee, my heart goes out to you and your sister on the loss of your mother.  I know what a terrible loss that can be, no matter how old you yourself are, when it comes.

My husband made a promise to himself that he would not be smoking on his 50th birthday.  By strength of sheer will power (and the help of a nicotine patch system) he was able to pull it off and has been cigarette free for almost 2 years.  I can't even express how much it has meant to our daughter and me that he was able to do this.  If there was any good in his experience, it was enough to make our daughter detest the sight and smell of cigarette smoke....she will not be tempted.

But I still have family members who are not ready to do the same, and I know what it's like to watch them go outside to protect the rest of us from their smoke, even though they can't protect themselves.  

My deepest condolences.
Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 03:26:50 AM »
All my condolences and thoughts are with you, Castlebee!  I am so sorry for your loss.  You just make sure that you take it as easy as you can during this time.

Gerard

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 03:32:54 AM »
Dear Castlebee,
                         Please accept my deepest sympathy.  Words are just not enough at a time like this.
                         My mother is 75 and still smokes.  I worry about her all the time.  We came close to losing her last spring when she had pneumonia that was very hard to kick.  At the tifme we thought she might have cancer.  It still is something I worry about all the time.  Like your Mom she smoked through her pregnancies.  I often wonder what  this does to our generation that grew up with second hand smoke and our genetics.  At times she has tried to stop but always goes back.
                        Please treasure your special memories and remember their are people who are thinking of you.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2002, 03:33:30 AM »
Hello Everyone:

Just wanted to check in and say hello.  I haven*t been on the board lately due to the death of my mother one-week ago today.  As a couple of you knew, we discovered late last Spring that she had lung cancer.  

CastleBee

First of all, let me also offer my condolences on the loss of your mom.

I couldn't agree more with you in regards to your stance on cigarettes. I smoked them for something like 22 years and was totally addicted. My Dentist finally convinced me that if i wanted to keep my teeth I had better quit smoking. I used the nicoderm CQ patch and it worked like a charm. This Feb. coming will be 5 years smoke free for me.

Castlebee, if your message here only motivates one person to quit, it will have been a complete success.  

Again, my deepest sympathies on the loss of your mom.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2002, 04:33:27 AM »
My Dearest Castlebee, please except my most sincere condolences for the loss of your beloved Mother, you have suffered a great loss, alas she will always be there in your hearts,  A Mother's love never dies... but goes on through her children who are her living memory....

Your Friend in the Shadows.... Sarah
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2002, 05:12:11 AM »
Dear Castlebee,
    I am so sorry to hear of your great loss.  Your story is almost a mirror of mine except my father didn't die.  He just walked out.  My mother died the day before her 60th birthday.  I am glad to hear you have a sister.  My sister and I keep our mother's memory alive.  After the sadness passes, you will find remembering all the warm and silly stories with her a comfort.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2002, 05:28:01 AM »
Castlebee, my sympathy and condolences on the loss of your mother. My thoughts are with you.  MM
MM

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2002, 05:52:46 AM »
my sympathies go out to you and your family
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2002, 05:59:02 AM »
God bless you and your family, I am so sorry for your loss.

It was another time, no non-smoking areas ANYWHERE and the Drs. thought it would be more stressful for a mom to be to quit. When I look back to how it used to be, I realize I wouldn't last a minute in the cloud of smoke!

Reading your post, I am so grateful that my mom did quit. My dad and I were both so proud of her and happy that she did. I used to look at my girlfriend smoke and it looked so appealing. But, somehow, looking at my aging mother puffing away more than offset that.

I think you have to have quit for twenty years to have the same chance of lung cancer as someone who never smoked. My mom is just about there, I'm sorry yours couldn't do it. It IS harder to quit than heroin, they say....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Connie

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2002, 07:08:54 AM »
Hi Castlebee,
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.  It's all just a bit too much to deal with, isn't it.  Sixty plus years of smoking finally got my father a few years ago - some sort of throat cancer.  And here I am, smoking two cartons a week.  Talk about self-loathing.  I'm in awe of those who are able to quit.  I can't even begin to comprehend how they're able to do it.  

Anyway, you have my deepest sympathy.  One would think that when you know someone is going to die, you'd become accustomed to the idea and when they finally go, it's easier than when you lose someone unexpectedly.  It doesn't work that way though, does it.

love
CLC  

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2002, 07:35:03 AM »
I'm so sorry, CastleBee to learn of your loss.  My thoughts are with you.

My mother quit smoking a number of years ago (maybe 20?), but that was too late and she has severe breathing problems.  Right now she's in the nursing home recovering from a broken hip, but the breathing is the main problem.  She's limited in the amount of therapy she can do and seems to be out of breath doing virtually nothing.
Josette