Author Topic: No DS for 3 weeks???!!!  (Read 7677 times)

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: No DS for 3 weeks???!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2002, 01:32:13 AM »

I had to suffer for years knowing Sci Fi was airing Dark Shadows while my stupid cable company didn't even carry that channel. Not until I moved to another county was I finally able to see the show. I suspect this is the case with many other viewers and potential viewers.

I was in the same boat.  My cable company kept sending out questionaires.  I would always request the Sci-Fi channel.  Finally, I got the Sci-Fi channel.  They completed that run of DS and then dropped it.  I wrote both my cable company and the Sci-Fi channel.  I do not care for Sci-Fi programming for the most part.  If it were not for DS, I probably would not watch it at all.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2002, 01:51:01 AM »
I think that if they would choose to promote the show a little, they could probably increase the viewers, though maybe I'm naive.  The less-than-slick production values etc. could be used as a selling feature of the show - that's one of the reasons I watch it.  There are any number of crap shows out there with slick production values.  Even on an off day, DS works on lots of levels - and for people from lots of age groups, from what I've learned.

I've always felt that DS is on in the wrong time slot anyway.  Would love to see it in the afternoon, just after the 'normal' soaps air - say 4pm EST.  Get the kids hooked on it, the way they still get hooked on 60's and 70's sitcoms on TVLand; the way lots of DS fans got hooked on the show when it originally aired. Still in all, I suppose Sci-Fi knows what they are doing, and am relieved to hear the show will continue to air for 2003, no matter when they schedule it, I'm taping it daily!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2002, 03:19:35 AM »
Oh my Gosh what's a girl to do WITHOUT  HER
Q-MAN FOR THREE WEEKS ARRRRRRRRRHHHHHHH
                                   LOVE ANNE
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2002, 03:27:23 AM »
It's the never-ending pursuit of the 18-34 year old demographic....though why they want THOSE people is beyond me.  I've got 2 nieces in their 20's who can barely make their rent, much less spend money on 'things'....so what's the point of marketing to a demographic already up to their eyes in school loans and credit card debt?  I think we boomers are the big spenders in America!!

(Love your new avatar, BTW!)

Why Thank You!!
I was thinking of deleting it now that Halloween is over, but it suits my personality so well I might have to keep it! [lghy]

Rainey

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2002, 03:32:51 AM »
Why Thank You!!
I was thinking of deleting it now that Halloween is over, but it suits my personality so well I might have to keep it! [lghy]

Rainey

I hope you keep it.  It is apropos for a DS discussion board and it looks good, too.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline The charming Mr. Blair

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2002, 04:04:28 AM »
See what excessive drug use can do? Its symptoms manifest in the strangest ways --  like a bunch of stressed -out executives trying to win browing points with their higher-ups with no idea of, or corncern for, quality programing come up with progressive idea that might make a few more dimes for the shareholders.
What a bunch of creeps!
I am going to put a spell on them!!
I must go. However, I shalln't be long.
 Good day everyone!

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2002, 09:27:40 AM »
Oh my goodness!...Someone please tell me I am dreaming.No DS for 3 weeks.That's ridiculous.Oh.well...we all go through things that tests our patience..and this is one of them!..OOOO WHOA IS ME!!!Someone fan me please, i'm gonna pass out!

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2002, 12:28:41 PM »
RaineyPark Wrote;

But with the exceptions of DS, the original "Outer Limits" and "The Twilight Zone" virtually NONE of the Sci Fi channel's focus is on programming aimed at Baby Boomer aged viewers.  

And as far as I know, the "Outer Limits" has been cancelled because it use to air in the time slot right after the "Twilight Zone"   now there's another show on. I could be wrong but I haven't seen it shown anywhere elso on Sci-Fi.

"Calamity Jane"

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2002, 04:27:37 PM »
DAMN IT.  Just when things are running smoothly in your home, life, whatever, this comes along.  

I should have known "this" would happen.

[pissd]
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2002, 05:21:17 PM »
What a bummer!  This whole thing is going to confuse my pointy little brain.  For so many of us we have developed a science in setting our VCR's and training our family not to touch the TV setting.  I even have the hubby trained to check it for me.  Hey, he knows what makes me happy.  Do we have the address for snail mail for the sci-fi chanel?  I would not mind dropping them a line.

Birdie--I think I should prepare for withdrawal now. Where is Julia I need a seditive.
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2002, 07:22:42 PM »
RaineyPark Wrote;

And as far as I know, the "Outer Limits" has been cancelled because it use to air in the time slot right after the "Twilight Zone"   now there's another show on. I could be wrong but I haven't seen it shown anywhere elso on Sci-Fi.

If you're talking about the '60s The Outer Limits series, right now it airs at 9:00 AM Eastern.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2002, 07:36:00 PM »
Do we have the address for snail mail for the sci-fi chanel?  I would not mind dropping them a line.

Me too, Birdie, but I wasn't able to find their snail mail address.  That's not to say it's not on scifi.com, but all I came across were email addys and phone numbers.  I feel like such a failure, LOL.  I hoped someone it handy, or maybe another pair of searching eyes will have better success on their website?

I did, however, find this in their FAQ and thought it was interesting:

Why did you change the time slot of my favorite show?

We alter our schedule quarterly, with big changes tending to happen in 1st Quarter (January) and 4th Quarter (October).

The reason it was moved is the same reason it was scheduled where it was in the first place, namely ratings. A program is scheduled in the hopes of getting good ratings and of helping the shows around it get good ratings. A show is given a new timeslot in the hopes of raising either its ratings overall, raising the new timeslot's ratings, or raising new timeslot's ratings -- and hopefully the ratings of the shows around those time slots. Sometimes a change can result in lower ratings but still be the right thing to do.

For example, say a show called "Intergalactic Space Ninjas" aired Mondays at 8pm and was moved to Sundays at 10am. There's little chance it could get higher ratings in its new slot, but if the new Monday night show gets a higher rating, and "Intergalactic Space Ninjas" gets a higher rating than the show it replaced, the net result is better ratings for the network as a whole.

Keep in mind that no show has a "natural" or "rightful" time slot.[/i]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2002, 07:54:56 PM »
They are just as likely to gain new viewers to DS as any of their other programs. Many people remember the series from their childhood and may not even be aware that Sci Fi airs it. This would certainly account for the fact that this is the fourth time (I believe) they have run the complete series. A DS marathon would be just as good of a promotional tool as any of their other marathons.

I agree that a letter to Sci-Fi can help.  If someone can provide the address, I will definitely write to Sci-Fi.

I also agree with Nancy that certain types of people are attracted to Dark Shadows.  Take for instance my own family.  My brother started watching it in the 60's and has stuck with it.  I've been hooked for the last 3 yrs., and now my daughter has gone nuts over the show.  She's home everyday now with my first grandchild and watches it on Sci-Fi.  My son couldn't be less interested.  My brother, myself and my daughter are basically romantics at heart and DS appeals to us in such a personal way that folks who seem to be involved with action movies and real-life stuff could never be.  Unfortunately, there is a shortage of people these days who are romantics.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2002, 11:56:54 PM »

Me too, Birdie, but I wasn't able to find their snail mail address.  That's not to say it's not on scifi.com, but all I came across were email addys and phone numbers.  I feel like such a failure, LOL.  I hoped someone it handy, or maybe another pair of searching eyes will have better success on their website?

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but Shadowgram has this address:

Sci Fi Channel Programming Dept.
1230 Avenue of the Americas
NYC, NY 10020-1513

Hope it helps.

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2002, 12:26:59 AM »