Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0023  (Read 1387 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0023
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:00:42 AM »

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0023
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:18:56 AM »
I love Dana Elcar as Sheriff Patterson. I do. But his sheriffin’ skills leave a lot to be desired compared to Jonas Carter, Collinsport’s Constable Extraordinaire. Jonas is so not going to cave into the Collins family. He wants facts and hard evidence, damn the Collins name, their town and their cannery.

And David. How old is this kid, really? He’s thinking like an adult – an adult with a guilty conscience. He gathers his own particulars about the accident and ends up tampering with the evidence. Smart kid.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:44 AM »
Children have consciences.   That bit with the wrench though, that was inspired for a... 9 year old?   I also like the fact that they expected the viewer to follow what he was doing; I'm not sure they would have today.   Just think what a great Bond villain David could become...

I decided on my first viewing a few months ago that Jonas Carter's my favorite DS cop.  Why's he a "constable" whereas Patterson and Davenport are "sheriffs"?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:17:07 AM »
Vickie appears to be holding school supplies.  Can she really be teaching?  Well she attempts to.  David reads well. David is consistently off task asking if Vickie ever tried to kill someone and what would she do if she tried to kill someone.  Perhaps there is a theme developing here?  David manages to touch the wrench even after Vickie tells him no.  Unfortunately I know too many teachers like Miss Winters.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:42:45 AM »
I miss the days when some crimes were sort of inconceivable.   These days, I wonder if a teacher might alert the police and get the kid committed before anyone has a chance to think.   Vicki is giving David the benefit of the doubt.  She should pick up on the signs by now, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 03:13:18 PM »
Children have consciences.   That bit with the wrench though, that was inspired for a... 9 year old?   I also like the fact that they expected the viewer to follow what he was doing; I'm not sure they would have today.   Just think what a great Bond villain David could become...

I remember fondly that shows back then actually gave viewers credit for some intelligence. One movie that also struck me that way was the Harrison Ford version of The Fugitive.

And I also like Sheriff/Constable Carter's idea of police work. Dana Elcar is good as Sheriff Patterson, but his policing skills leave a lot to be desired. So I suppose the Collinses wielded some influence when elections came up. Also, I don't think American cops are ever called constables, but then again, the Collinses inhabit a universe all their own.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:37 PM »
Oh, you Constable Carter fans are all probably just impressed with the dignity of the badge.  Snort.

Roger:  "I can't think of anyone else who would want to harm me."
Seriously?  Roger in these eps is such a nasty piece of work that I bet his haters could form a line that winds down the hill and all the way to the cannery.

Liz's hairdo is... bizarre.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »
Oh, you Constable Carter fans are all probably just impressed with the dignity of the badge.  Snort.

That's definitely not it, with me!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
It's hard to believe our Vicki ever gave anybody a bloody nose, as she tells David when he asks her what's the worst thing she's ever done.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 02:29:38 AM »
It's hard to believe our Vicki ever gave anybody a bloody nose.

Maybe she did it by turning down the humidifier...

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
I think the scene with David and the wrench in the drawing room is the first scene in these beginning episodes that has really interested me.

Why does Elizabeth call Constable Carter by his first name?  I'm wondering if he's a gentleman cop.  Maybe the reason that, as Janet says, he's so not going to cave into the Collins family is that he too comes from a family with money and influence.  It doesn't seem very likely, however.  As for favorite cop, Magnus...I like Carter, but I think I'd have to vote for Inspector Hamilton.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:57:33 AM »
Me too! Too bad we didn't see more of him.