Author Topic: Characters whose personalities changed  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
Re: Characters whose personalities changed
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 07:18:57 PM »
He was still a cheap, insufferable pig - but because any power that he might have possessed was gone near the end, he had no choice but to go around with his tail between his legs. The love of a good woman (or man) might be a calming influence in some, but I always find it very hard to imagine anyone who's that much of a relentless killing machine could supposedly turn into anything resembling a decent guy overnight - removal of his supernatural powers or otherwise. But maybe that's just me.  ;)

I think one thing on the show that seems to repeat over and over is that if someone is gonna change they do it too fast. That makes it hard for us to believe it or accept it. Like the oft mentioned scene were [spoiler]Barnabas suddenly decides he loves Angelique, she is the only woman he's ever loved yada yada yada. In order for this to be at all believable they should have had a lot of time in which she changed and very important, that she honestly repented for all her evil deeds. She never did this. Therefore his abrupt change of heart is very hard to accept.[/spoiler]

In the case of Willie his change was abrupt and we know why, but others don't. That's why everyone still distrusted him and still wanted him out of town. Even after 4 years, some still distrusted him!

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »
[spoiler]Barnabas suddenly decides he loves Angelique, she is the only woman he's ever loved yada yada yada. In order for this to be at all believable they should have had a lot of time in which she changed and very important, that she honestly repented for all her evil deeds. She never did this. Therefore his abrupt change of heart is very hard to accept.[/spoiler]

Actually, they did lay a foundation for this prior to Barn's declaration. (Perhaps not as much as some audience members might have liked - but it IS there.) I pointed out a few of the scenes while I was watching 1840/41 last year to compile the slideshows. Those posts can probably be found fairly easily by using the forum's Search feature.  ;)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 08:43:21 PM »
No one's mentioned Gerard yet. While we know he was a bit of a schemer when we first encounter him, he changed completely when [spoiler]he became possessed by Judah Zachery. It was then he set up Quentin to be tried for witchcraft and set his sights on possessing all of the Collinses' wealth and possessions.[/spoiler]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 04:14:54 AM »
The character who I thought changed - too radically - was Beth in 1897, when she went to work for Count Petofi.  I didn't find that change believable, although others have rationalized it.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 04:49:15 AM »
The character who I thought changed - too radically - was Beth in 1897, when she went to work for Count Petofi.  I didn't find that change believable, although others have rationalized it.

Huh? [confused5] I don't remember Beth working for Petofi.  Was that just to spy on others?  Can anyone explain this?  This inquiring mind wants to know.   :)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 05:11:03 AM »
In regards to Beth [spoiler]she was very much hurt and angry at Quentin when she found out he was going to marry Angelique. Petofi stopped her from shooting him. Wanting to put Quentin behind her, she decided to work for Petofi.

Though obviously her heart really wasn't in it when she realized Petofi was plotting against Quentin (not realizing he was planning to steal Quentin's body). As badly as Quentin hurt Beth, we see she never really stopped loving him as she ran out of the mill and runs to his side at Collinwood, hoping to save him.[/spoiler]

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 04:26:31 PM »
No one's mentioned Gerard yet. While we know he was a bit of a schemer when we first encounter him, he changed completely when [spoiler]he became possessed by Judah Zachery. It was then he set up Quentin to be tried for witchcraft and set his sights on possessing all of the Collinses' wealth and possessions.[/spoiler]

To tell you the truth, I don't think Gerard changed that much. [spoiler]Yes he became more evil as Judah, more consummate evil, but as Gerard he did attempt to get everything Quentin had. He married Samantha, not loving her, for the money. He wanted the easy life of living at Collinwood. I don't blame him for that much but to marry a woman for her money renders him a creep in my book, not any better than Nathan Forbes or Jason McGuire. Also there is speculation that he may have pushed Quentin overboard, and Tad as well. There isn't much said about that accident on the ship but that's a possibility. He had also lied about his identity, his real name was Ivan Miller and IIRC Gabriel had a long list of his deeds (not unlike when Burke showed up with a long list of the nefarious deeds of one Jason McGuire)[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
Slightly OT, but it's driving me nuts!  What does IIRC stand for?   :-
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 05:40:27 PM »
Slightly OT, but it's driving me nuts!  What does IIRC stand for?   :-

If I remember (or recall) correctly

Alondra
  :)

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 05:41:08 PM »
To tell you the truth, I don't think Gerard changed that much. [spoiler]Yes he became more evil as Judah, more consummate evil, but as Gerard he did attempt to get everything Quentin had. He married Samantha, not loving her, for the money. He wanted the easy life of living at Collinwood. I don't blame him for that much but to marry a woman for her money renders him a creep in my book, not any better than Nathan Forbes or Jason McGuire. Also there is speculation that he may have pushed Quentin overboard, and Tad as well. There isn't much said about that accident on the ship but that's a possibility. He had also lied about his identity, his real name was Ivan Miller and IIRC Gabriel had a long list of his deeds (not unlike when Burke showed up with a long list of the nefarious deeds of one Jason McGuire)[/spoiler]

Most of what you mentioned happened [spoiler]after his possession by Judah.[/spoiler] However, you're right about the accident on the ship. That was most definitely implied.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 05:43:35 PM »
[spoiler]He married Samantha before his possession. And whatever he did as Ivan Miller were before his possession.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 05:45:35 PM »
Gee, mental pause on my part -- LOL. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2007, 05:59:55 PM »
Click:

To remove a signature¢â‚¬¦

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 06:19:41 PM »
Another thought occurred to me [spoiler]I think maybe Judah chose Gerard to possess because his personality wasn't that much unlike Judah's. That way it would be a long time before people began to suspect that Gerard was possessed and not just being himself. Of course he was smooth and lied very well, and believably. Otherwise Quentin wouldn't have believed in him for so long. But IMO 1840 Quentin was a bit on the naive side.[/spoiler]

Alondra

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2007, 06:22:22 PM »
Thanks Alondra, I thought I was 'up' on all the 'net slang.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"