Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #1040  (Read 766 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #1040
« on: February 08, 2016, 06:54:02 PM »
Robservations #1040

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #1040

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 09:47:22 AM »
Karlen VO?  He's not in this one.  Welcome Inspector Hamilton.  I guess Cy's weird death was swallowed and "handled" quickly and quietly, without skepticism or uproar.  Ham refers to it indirectly in passing, as if it's old news.   Ang chokes Bruno.  Farewell, Bruno.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »
Roger can hardly wait to tell Quentin about the Maggie-Bruno incident.

Bruno is once again playing the only tune they’ve got in parallel time when Inspector Hamilton (welcome, Colin Hamilton!) of the Collinsport police comes by to question him about Angelique’s murder. After Bruno finishes playing his piece and admiring it and himself, he finally tells the inspector that it’s Angelique’s murder he wants to report. The inspector gives the usual diagnosis that Angelique died of a stroke, as confirmed by Dr. Cyrus Longworth. With a smile, Bruno reminds the inspector, Dr. Longworth was a little more complex than anyone suspected. The inspector gets impatient with this coyness, so Bruno show him the page that he photostatted (yes, a PHOTOSTAT!) hen Bruno goes right back to playing “Ode to Angelique,” and the inspector leaves.

Maggie comes downstairs (still wearing the strange yellow robe-thingy) and finds her husband actually at home. He immediately wants to talk about the incident with Bruno, but Maggie dismisses it, saying he was drunk, that was all. (Yaeger molested her, then nearly raped her, then tried to kill her, so presumably she has developed a sense of proportion.) Inspector Hamilton shows Quentin the PHOTOSTAT. Quentin verifies that it is Cyrus’s handwriting, then reads it to himself--reacting in amazement at the interesting part. Roger wanders by the drawing room just in time to hear Quentin describe the contents to Maggie, admitting that Cyrus says: (1) Angelique was murdered; (2) he (C.) falsified the death certificate; and (3) Quentin is the murderer. That isn’t possible! Maggie immediately exclaims. Roger agrees, but only because Cyrus is dead and turned out to be less than perfect anyway. Being a logical fellow, Inspector Hamilton asks Roger whether he was at the séance where the murder took place; Roger looks a little nervous but admits he was.

Maggie takes the opportunity to ask Roger and the inspector to step outside for a moment so she can talk to Quentin alone. They oblige, and Maggie asks, Don’t you want to call a lawyer? Predictably, Quentin demands, Do you think I killed Angelique? I never thought you did, she declares, and I don’t now. Quentin look at her for a long moment, but then that infernal Collins pride kicks in. He calls the inspector and Roger back in, and then “Alexis” returns. The inspector decides he might as well question her too, even though she was in Europe when her sister died. He shows her the photostat of Cyrus’s journal. She plays innocent, but he isn’t fooled, and the first thing he asks her is, Isn’t it true that you now have Cyrus’s diary? (Remember, no one but Bruno and Angelique have seen it, so only they know that Cyrus intended it for Quentin’s eyes only.) I do have it, she admits, but I didn’t want to tell anyone about it because I don’t believe it. She gives herself yet another opportunity to say in front of Maggie that Quentin loved Angelique more than anything else in the world, and she loved him back the same. She asks Quentin to corroborate, but instead he asks her, How did you get hold of Cyrus’s journal? She is silent, but the inspector tells them that he got the photostat from Bruno. Then Angelique admits that she bought the journal from Bruno in the hope of suppressing its contents. Oh, it’s all my fault, she winds up. Even before this latest incident, Quentin already has several reasons to hate Bruno. Right out loud and in front of Inspector Hamilton, he fumes, Bruno is only out to cause trouble, but he won’t be causing trouble much longer. When the inspector opines that there’s no need for that much excitement, Quentin says, You don’t know how much I’ve had to take from that man. Watching him, Angelique smirks at how perfectly her plan is working. Quentin finally refuses to answer the inspector’s questions--because Bruno sent him. Maggie thinks they should just get it over with. I agree, Quentin replies, but unfortunately adds, With Bruno and with my bare hands! “Alexis” takes him out to the foyer and tells him, Bruno isn’t worth it--he’s probably having a good laugh at how angry you must be. He won’t be laughing much longer! Quentin snarls. From the foyer it’s only a step to the front door, and Quentin takes it. Far from being displeased (or from returning to the drawing room), Angelique goes upstairs smiling broadly. Inspector Hamilton observes to Maggie that her husband seems to have a rather volatile temper, then Maggie goes out to the foyer, only to discover that Quentin isn’t there. She goes upstairs to look for him, and Roger suggests to the inspector that maybe Quentin went to Bruno’s cottage. The inspector decides to return there.

The walk to the cottage hasn’t improved Quentin’s temper. Almost before he gets both feet over the threshold, he accuses Bruno of stealing the journal. You aren’t in any position to accuse anyone, Bruno snaps, brushing Quentin’s shoulder insultingly as he passes by him. Quentin finally loses it and starts choking Bruno. Abruptly he flings Bruno aside contemptuously, saying, You aren’t worth killing. Suddenly Bruno, who is now several feet from Quentin, starts choking anyway and falls to the floor.

In her room, Angelique tightens the ascot around a miniature copy of the head and shoulders of the Apollo Belvedere (originally Sky Rumson’s gift to Angelique in our time, but only too appropriate for the conceited Bruno!).

At the cottage, Bruno collapses to the floor. Quentin applauds his performance and sarcastically tells him he can get up and take a bow. But Bruno doesn’t respond. Just as Quentin stoops down to take a look, Inspector Hamilton opens the door and comments, I hope for your sake that he isn’t dead.....

Online Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 05:13:55 PM »
Quentin behaves like an idiot here. Even if he didn't kill Angelique, he should have a lawyer handle the situation he's in. Though threatening to silence Bruno with his bare hands in front of Inspector Hamilton may be his most rash act yet. And wouldn't Angelique be subject to arrest for suppressing evidence? Although given the recent revelations about Cyrus, a good attorney would have been able to discredit Cyrus' conclusion about the murderers' identity. (As an aside, why didn't Yaeger use this to drive a wedge between Maggie and Quentin? Or at least blackmail Quentin?)
Angelique is very smug, as she has manipulated everyone into a corner. Quentin in particular plays into her hands beautifully. Bruno is dead, choked not long after Quentin had his hands around the man's throat. Just in time for the inspector to walk in. Quentin doesn't need an attorney. He needs Hercule Poirot to get out of this.
And, Barnabas, this is all a result of your spontaneous decision in Stokes' lab. And this won't be the only effect.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »
Once again, Barn is thinking with his, um, fangs. And not for the last time.  [snow_rolleyes]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
Karlen VO?  He's not in this one.

Louis Edmonds did the opening voiceover for this ep. Once the switch from the Alexandra Moltke-only voiceovers was made, no voiceovers were ever done by any actor who wasn't in an ep. In fact, the whole reason DC ended the practice of having Alexandra do all the voiceovers was because she had to be paid even if Vicki didn't appear in an ep - but if an actor was already in an ep, he/she didn't get any extra pay.  [snow_wink]  [snow_rolleyes]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 08:18:08 PM »
Thanks MB, I do know that, which made it strange to have heard Karlen's voice or so I thought.  How did I manage to hear Louis E and think Karlen?  Are there two more different actors?!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »
Do they have Inspectors on American police forces? Must be a PT thing.  A was murdered and Q is accused and she strangles Bruno and Q is blamed as Hamilton walks in.  Nice set up on her part.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
Inspector Gadget's American I think....