Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0404  (Read 931 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0404
« on: March 02, 2013, 09:07:40 PM »
(Hopefully everyone girded themselves before watching this episode to prepare themselves for a certain someone's debut. [wink2])

Robservations #404

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0404

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:08:47 PM »
Barn frets for Josette's life - can't blame him for that. Barrett is finally getting some screen time and her Millicent is proving to be not a total dimwit. Barn uses 'friendly persuasion' as a means to get Millicent's help in getting Josette to meet with him. A cute-ish scene but in the end, forgettable. Barn warns Josette of impending doom -- boy, is that an understatement! With Barn's help, Vicki retains a sympathetic lawyer - hooray! - well, almost - but as per usual, she mucks it up.

Flashback! -- Peter Bradford -- what a dreamboat! He gives me the vapors!! I think I'm in love!!!

It's nice to see Vicki smiling.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:04:19 AM »
Welcome Peter Bradford.  He's fine as a character.  It's present day Roger Davis I dislike.   In the past he's fine, if not outstanding in any way.   The unwelcome newcomer as far as I'm concerned is Addison Powell, proto-Lang.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:52:17 AM »
I thought that might be A.P. but I didn't check the credits.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »
This was really a frightening episode two horrors in one day. Victoria foolishlyh reveals to the judge whom she has just met that she is from the future and in front of the mute jailer. By the way best acting ever on Roger Davis' part. I just want Barnabas to tell Josette the truth so she can protect herself and then the bat is back.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:16:16 PM »
I agree--Peter Bradford is a fine character, if very bland. Another actor might have given him some hidden depths, as JC did for Joe. Nice line: "I haven’t just been watching you. I’ve heard you crying in the night--a witch wouldn’t cry."

Josette looks even lovelier than usual in a night-blue velvet gown and a lacy veil over her hair. Barnabas tells her everything--but makes the fatal mistake of not revealing the witch's identity. Why not?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 05:56:07 AM »
Another actor might have given him some hidden depths, as JC did for Joe.
I'm not so sure Joel Crothers did that, but then I've never been much of a Crothers fan.

Josette looks even lovelier than usual in a night-blue velvet gown and a lacy veil over her hair. Barnabas tells her everything--but makes the fatal mistake of not revealing the witch's identity. Why not?
I haven't watched this episode in over five years, but I daresay Barnabas was thinking of Josette as a sweet young thing - not a generic sweet young thing, but still sweet and young and with a fragile mind that should not be sullied with sordid details.  If that was what he was thinking, then he was incorrect: Josette knew how to accept unpleasant realities.  And that would mean that Barnabas was rather clueless about the woman he loved, which is interesting, because I do think that Barnabas and Josette were originally very well suited to each other - so Barnabas chose his future wife wisely despite himself.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
Barnabas seems to be rather clueless about women in general, doesn't he?  [snow_cheesy]