Author Topic: one Newbies DS story  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Mary Elizabeth

• now you have entered my bleak universe-B.C.
    • View Profile
one Newbies DS story
« on: October 27, 2005, 03:51:31 PM »
So I'm a newbie here at the forum, and Sadly new to DS. My husband was the one who turned me on to it. we were at Hollywood Video, seeing if there was something worth viewing, and he Found the Revival series on VHS. I had never heard of the show myself, but I figured it wouldn't hurt, being an avid Anne rice fan and lover of fampire movies and such. well now I'm hooked! We went out and bought the revival series on DVD (since it was released on my birthday!). We also Bought the first of the Original series on DVD for my mother-in-law, who has loved the show since she was a young girl. I haven't yet had a chance to view the original as she is still enjoying them and is not ready for us to borrow them just yet [hall2_grin] I am also sad that the Revival was only 12 episodes long as it moved very quickly through the storylines, and in my opinion was beautifuly shot. Also very recently while looking up some DS info on the web I found out that a pilot had been shot for Warner Bros. but that it had not been picked up for a season. I have sent a email to Sci Fi (they bought the rights to the original series) and to NBC (they aired the Revival series) and also to the webmaster at Collinwood.net which is one of the best DS websites I have found. I was hoping that perhaps DS fans could get together and start an online petition or some kind of letter writing campaign to show these networks that they are missing out on a wonderful show that has lots of fans already built in to DS. just an Idea, let me know what you all think about it and I will research it if you think it's a good one. also you can go to the website mentioned above if you haven't heard about the pilot but it was shot in 2004. Thanks for reading my DS story! it's great to be here.!!! [hall2_kiss]
How do you like my Darkness Now?

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: one Newbies DS story
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 05:10:56 PM »
Welcome to the board! Hope you enjoy your stay here. :)

We also Bought the first of the Original series on DVD for my mother-in-law, who has loved the show since she was a young girl. I haven't yet had a chance to view the original as she is still enjoying them and is not ready for us to borrow them just yet [hall2_grin]

Ahhh...you don't know what you're missing. Wonder why they made a revivial? ;)

Also very recently while looking up some DS info on the web I found out that a pilot had been shot for Warner Bros. but that it had not been picked up for a season.

Yeah, those...*curses* Anyways, they actually showed the pilot episode at this year's DS Fest, as I can recall (which isn't saying much since I wasn't able to go. *tear*

I was hoping that perhaps DS fans could get together and start an online petition or some kind of letter writing campaign to show these networks that they are missing out on a wonderful show that has lots of fans already built in to DS. just an Idea, let me know what you all think about it and I will research it if you think it's a good one.

Oh, we've tried just about everything. I'm hoping that either SoapNet or TVLand will end up buying the rights to the original DS, so that we may FINALLY see it again, and I don't have to spend upwards of $1200 buying all the DVD collections. :(

Again, nice to meet you. :)

Offline Mary Elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 05:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. The revival was shot in 90 or 91, with Ben Cross as Barnabus and Joanna Going ans Victoria/ Josette. But yeah i can't wait to watch the Originals! [hall2_grin]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »
Welcome, Mary Elizabeth.   [wavey]  And a belated [occasion13]  to you.

Offline Mary Elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 06:41:53 PM »
Welcome, Mary Elizabeth.   [wavey]  And a belated <happy birthday!> to you.
Thank you! It was a good one because I got DS!!! [hall2_smiley] [hall2_grin]

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 07:35:23 PM »
Hi, Mary Elizabeth!

I just watched the Revival series for the first time. I'm a huge fan of the original, so it was an experience for me. I had mixed feelings about Cross, but I did absolutely adore Joanna Going (lovely avatar you have!). :)

Can't wait to hear what you think of the original series!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2005, 07:45:19 PM »

Welcome to the Forums Mary Elizabeth!  When the DS revival series was cancelled in '91, the fanbase organized a nationwide protest so NBC would take notice and hopefully change their decision.  These protests even made it onto the news in several places.  The local news in my city did a short bit on it.  This, unfortunately, had no effect and NBC went ahead and cancelled the show anyway.  Petitions certainly can't hurt, but at this point, I'm not sure how much good they can do with regards to a new DS.  That being said, if you put a petition together, I'd be more than happy to sign it!   [hall2_smiley]

Ian, I'm still hoping the Horror Channel actually launches someday and that they show the classic DS as they have hinted at in the past.  That seems unlikely though since they were supposed to launch the channel last year and it didn't happen.  I never thought of TVLand though.  That could be a really good option.   
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mary Elizabeth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 10:52:05 PM »
I just watched the Revival series for the first time. I'm a huge fan of the original, so it was an experience for me. I had mixed feelings about Cross, but I did absolutely adore Joanna Going (lovely avatar you have!). :)
I know what you mean, The first time i watched I thought that Ben Cross's head was to big for his body [hall2_shocked] but I really got hooked on Joanna going and her portrayal of Victoria/Josette. But eventually he grew on me, and I think that he gets better as the show moves on.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 11:57:52 PM »
The horror channel is officially launching this week in a rather lackluster fashion.

Basically for one night in the week on THE MEN'S CHANNEL, it turns into THE HORROR CHANNEL...and with very limited territories.

My question is, in a year, year and a half the entire series is going to be available on DVD.

Why does anyone care if it's shown on TV?

And I'm sure I'll get bricks thrown at me here, but I just don't get it.

I've seen the entire run just about twice and I'm sure there are many here that have run through it more than that, but with 1 episode a day it takes 5 years to see the whole run. It took me more than that to see the entire thing and the endless need to set the VCR and monitor the TV guide for schedule changes and the annoyance if I missed an episode or it got cut off frankly did me in. Add commercials (and current network standards allow more, so broadcasts would either be slightly cut or time compressed-ie: sped up slightly) to the mix and its too much of a pain in the ass to follow or enjoy.

I just want to watch the episodes I want to watch, when I want to watch them. I don't want a lifestyle where planning my DS TV show taping rules my life... DS is a show and shouldn't be some kind of lifestyle choice where I fit everything else around it instead of vice versa...

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 12:20:21 AM »
DS is a show and shouldn't be some kind of lifestyle choice where I fit everything else around it instead of vice versa...

Heretic!  [hall2_grin]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 02:24:47 AM »
 When the show was airing on TV, and we were all watching the same episodes on the same day, it was easier to actually discuss the show on this forum.

No doubt having the DVD's is wonderful, if you can afford them.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Julianka7

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 03:10:44 AM »
Welcome and Happy Belated Birthday Mary Elizabeth
Julianka  [hall2_smiley]

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 03:24:36 AM »
no brick throwing here but the main reason that i'm disappointed that d.s. is not airing anywhere at present is that potential new fans aren't being exposed to it.

one just doesn't randomly start buying expensive dvds of a 1,225 episode series unless there was already some interest there.

i wasn't even born when d.s. premiered and would never have developed an interest in it if not for that original exposure on the sci-fi channel.

oh,and welcome mary elizabeth!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 03:56:30 AM »
Welcome Mary Elizabeth.

mscbryk I agree with you.  I don't see why nobody is showing the original DS.  These episodes are treasures to watch.  They are treasues for those who never saw them and treasures for us who have seen them a thousand times.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 04:45:59 AM »
Why does anyone care if it's shown on TV?

Darren,

Just one reason: Exposure!  I strongly suspect the Sci-Fi Channel airings brought in a lot more new fans than the MPI tapes did.  When DS was only on in syndication as I was growing up, I felt like the only one in my age range who knew what DS was.  I mean, my classmates didn't even have a PASSING awareness of the show.  It was mostly out of the public eye at that point.  Years later, when Sci-Fi started showing it, that situation changed completely.  Now, many people who might not be fans at least know about the existence of the show via the Sci-Fi airings.  Personally, I'd rather watch the tapes or DVDs at my own leisure.  I mainly would like for DS to be on tv so that it gets more exposure and, as others in this thread have said, bring in more new fans to keep interest going.

Oh, and I also heard about that Horror Channel semi-launch.  Rather odd, but at least it's something.
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com