Author Topic: The Locked Room  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Locked Room
« on: July 11, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »
This past weekend, I watched episodes around the end of the Locked Room/Jason MacGuire storyline from 1967 (and I ordered some tapes from MPI to cover episodes I'm missing, thanks to MB's superb images from some of the episodes in question).  Anyhow, I spotted an amusing blooper in one of these:

[spoiler]When Jason goes down to check and make sure nothing of any obvious relevance to Liz's putative murder of Paul is visible in the Locked Room, he opens a box that is supposed to contain some of Paul's old clothes.  Unfortunately, props must have been in a rush that day, because one of the "old" shirts still contains the cardboard packing from Ohrbach's stockroom!

Apart from this, I really liked the scene between Liz and Roger while they were waiting together for Burke and Sheriff Pat to dig up the trunk.  I thought Liz's dialogue about how she regarded herself as the "conscience" of the family, and that provided all the more reason for her to conceal what had happened with Paul, and Roger's response that if she had shared it, he might have "made use of" the information, was a surprisingly frank scene between these two, who we were more used to seeing play cat-and-mouse with one another.[/spoiler]

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Locked Room
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 02:04:23 AM »
i liked these episodes alot too.
i did however find one part of this storyline to be ultimately unsatisfying.that's the rather pat explaination that it was liz's sobbing that vicki heard coming from the basement room when she first arrived at collinwood.that liz would be sobbing over the meaning of this room makes sense...but they don't explain how it was heard coming from inside a locked room.it just seemed too easy.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 06:30:07 PM »
[spoiler]I really liked the scene between Liz and Roger while they were waiting together for Burke and Sheriff Pat to dig up the trunk.  I thought Liz's dialogue about how she regarded herself as the "conscience" of the family, and that provided all the more reason for her to conceal what had happened with Paul, and Roger's response that if she had shared it, he might have "made use of" the information, was a surprisingly frank scene between these two, who we were more used to seeing play cat-and-mouse with one another.[/spoiler]

I totally agree with you, Gothick. That is one of my all-time favorite scenes - which is why it figures prominently in the slideshow for ep #272.  :)

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 03:26:23 AM »
I loved that scene between Elizabeth and Roger too but one of my favorite Elizabeth/Roger scenes during this storyline was when [spoiler]Roger confronts her about what a mess the family account books is in. He tells her he knows Jason has a hold over her and is forcing her to pay him with the family money. Elizabeth denies it and shouts at Roger to leave her alone. Later on, she apologizes to Roger and he to her and she asks him to stand by her so she won't feel so alone and he sincerely tells her he will.[/spoiler]

That whole scene more than anything else up to that point told me that while these two may have had their differences, they were still brother and sister who loved each other and when push came to shove they would stand up for one another.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 05:48:59 AM »
While Liz and Roger's scenes were particularly more emotive and touching in the early days, I'd venture to say that ALL of the characters had better scenes, or at least more smartly written dialogue, before Barnabas arrived. I think for the large part, except in certain spots, much of the family and cast were "dumb-downed" in order to make way for the more outlandish supernatural plot lines that would soon follow.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran