Author Topic: most annoying d s character  (Read 7372 times)

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: most annoying d s character
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2005, 02:27:03 AM »
Hi Pansity,
Love your avatar. I was wondering, if Amanda hadn't been written as the so called love of his live for Quentin would she have been so bothersome? I think everyone wanted to see Quentin realize that he loved Beth. It has been so long since I saw Donna play Amanda that I can't remember how bad she was.

Hi Misa:

Thanks about the avatar.  Had the screen cap and couldn't resist!

As to Amanda, I really think she would have been as annoying anyway. The whole problem was the WRITING with her.  She was very one dimentional.  "Janie one note" if you will.  Please note this is NOT a bash of the actress, but the writing.  I think she was given a nearly impossible role to play, in addition to which she trained as a singer/dancer NOT a dramatic actress.

OK refresher course on Amanda --[spoiler]she shows up with Tim Shaw when he returns from NY, obviously with him as part of a business scheme for which she is being well paid.  There is a scene about that time where Shaw and Quentin are talkign about I forget what and Quentin offers to wager him for Amanda's services for the evening (Victorian speak for he knows shes for sale to anyone; a courtesan).  She apparently has no knowledge of her background before a certain date, and we find out she is the embodiment of a painting Tate keeps doing of his ideal woman.  Amanda is involved in the scheme with Tim to get even with Trask, and along the way Quentin gets involved with her (I think after Beth tries to shoot him, but I;m going by memory on that).  You don't SEE any motivation; one day he thinks she;s a hooker and the next day she;s the love of his life.  Its that sudden. She's there for a while then leaves to find herself in NY.  After all the angst and death at the end of the storyline, we are told Q is going to find her.[/spoiler]

She next pops up in Leviathan[spoiler]as Olivia Corey who has made a deal with death.  Her time runs out before Quentin recovers his memory and can tell her he loves her.  Then they go thru the Orpheus-Euridice replay and he loses her.  The Orpheus thing getting her out of the underworld was a neat idea, but thru it she is as helpless and useless and whiney.  The Quentin we knew would have been going "I changed my mind you can keep her" out of sheer annoyance.  MY usual reference is in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  The blonde bimbo nightclub singer, Willie Scott who kept screaming and whining, and threw the gun out of the car cause it made her burn her fingers and break a nail.  I SWEAR thats how Amanda behaved![/spoiler]

Sad thing though, I think they could have salvaged the character.  She was invented as Charles Delaware Tate's ideal woman -- what if each of the men who fell of her saw her not as Tate;s idea of the ideal woman, but their OWN idea of THEIR ideal woman.  Sort of like in Classic Trek "Mantrap" where the salt monster appears to McCoy as his lost love, to a crewman as a showgirl, you get the idea.

Yow sorry for the long post.

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2005, 08:13:42 PM »
[spoiler]she shows up with Tim Shaw when he returns from NY, obviously with him as part of a business scheme for which she is being well paid.  There is a scene about that time where Shaw and Quentin are talkign about I forget what and Quentin offers to wager him for Amanda's services for the evening (Victorian speak for he knows shes for sale to anyone; a courtesan).  She apparently has no knowledge of her background before a certain...[/spoiler]

Can anyone refresh my memory as to the above?? I don't remember 'evening services' being mentioned or implied....but, it's Monday, and I'm tired.

Thanks [hall2_cheesy]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2005, 05:39:05 PM »
My most annoying characters:

Adam.  Just so childish.  Starts life by trying to kill everyone he meets, then whining that no one likes him.  Then lies to everyone and whines that no one believes him.  Thinks he knows everything, but he's wrong about everything.  That "romance" with Carolyn was just painful.  I loved it when Eve said she couldn't stand him because he's ugly, stupid and boring - and I'm like "Imagine how we feel, we've been putting up with him for about 1,000 episodes!"

Amy Jennings.  That voice makes me cringe.  "Are you really going to do it David?  Are you REALLY?  Are you REALLY REALLY?"  Oh yes, shriek all your lines.  That's enjoyable.

Millicent Collins after she went nuts.  She was okay up until then, but when she was bonkers she really got on my nerves.

Jeff Clark.  Well gee Vicki, we've been talking for about 15 seconds now, guess it's time I get mad at you for something.

Vicki after 1795.  Just so clueless.  Actually, back in 1795 she could have avoided the whole withchcraft trial by telling a few lies, but oh no, honesty is the best policy. 

David.  Just the way he'd get away with anything and everybody was to stupid to figure out he was lying.  That goes for pretty much every incarnation of him in every century.

Those are the main ones.  I'm only up to the point where the kids are starting to discover Quentin, so I'm sure I'll have more in the future  :P

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2005, 07:16:00 PM »
i'm with you on adam.i've complained about him here(ad nauseum)but it infuriated me that the writers took this dumb,boring character,who had nothing to do with anything that had ever happened before,and allowed him to hijack the entire show show for nearly a year. >:(

when this topic was first posted i had yet to discover the charms of ned stuart and dirk wilkinson.both characters can take pride of place along side jeff clark in the most annoying category.roger davis was just the worst!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2005, 09:35:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Willie!  :)

While I agree or can certainly see your point for most of the characters on your list, I'm afraid that I have to completely disagree with:

Millicent Collins after she went nuts.  She was okay up until then, but when she was bonkers she really got on my nerves.

I honestly think Millicent is her most interesting after she's gone off the deep end. She can be quite funny, or poignantly heartbreaking - or even both at the same time.

[spoiler]One of my favorite Millicent moments during this time occurs in Ep #428 when Peter comes to Collinwood looking for Ben and Millicent asks Peter to tell Barnabas she'd like to see him,  which prompts Peter to remind her that Barnabas is dead, which then sends Millicent into a fit of giggles because she (rightly) believes that to be absurd. But my all-time favorite Millicent scene is definitely in Ep #450 when Joshua discovers the recently atacked Millicent in the tower room. She alternates between anger and indignance and little girl innocence and Nancy Barrett is simply brilliant in the way she completely pulls it off as if the switches between emotions are totally effortless.[/spoiler]

Offline Willie

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2005, 03:28:16 PM »
Hi, thanks for the welcome  :)

I enjoyed those scenes with Millicent as well.  There were a few others though, can't remember which ones exactly, where she just got on my nerves.  But, different strokes for different folks.  Imagine how I felt when I saw my most beloved Angelique on the list of most annoying characters.  ;D  I mean, sure, a few mistakes were made, a few deaths were involved.  Okay, quite a few deaths.  But how can you fault someone for using the means at her disposal to get the man she loved >:D

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2005, 04:46:30 PM »
Though I like Lara Parker, I'll admit that Angelique often annoys me, especially post-1795. If you locked me in a room with an endless audio loop of Eric Lang's recording and her laugh, I would be absolutely insane in a matter of hours. :P And perhaps nothing on the show annoys me more than when [spoiler]the writers have Barnabas declare that she was his true love in 1840. It totally disgusted me because I found it to be one of the worst examples of character assassination I've ever seen. It would've been more believable if he would've said that he forgave her and it still would've held meaning.[/spoiler]

Others I left out of my previous list:

* Sabrina - I'd forgotten about her,  but I did list Ned Stuart. Chris deserved someone less annoying, IMO.
* C.D Tate - At first I thought he was going to be less annoying than any of RD's other characters, but by the end of 1897 (and in present time), he was annoying me too.
* Jeb - I felt so sorry for Carolyn because she loved him (I'm at a loss to understand why), but I was glad to see him go because of what he did to Paul Stoddard and Barnabas, and his attitude/personality is just plain irritating. He actually reminds me of men I've met before...scary.
* All the little Leviathan brats that came before Jeb.
* Bruno - He's annoying in a funny way. Michael Stroka's characters just tended to annoy me for some reason...
* Many of the PT characters with only a couple exceptions (Willie & Carolyn to be exact, because I found them to engaging) - I just didn't care for the most part, I was ready to go back to real time.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2006, 06:53:01 PM »
Adam after he went on his [spoiler]"I'm gonna kill everyone Barnabas loves unless I get a mate" phase.[/spoiler] Still I don't hate him really.....after all it was [spoiler]Nicholas who manipulated the idea of Adam getting a mate. Still it's hard not to get annoyed with Adam every time he threatens to do harm to Vicki or attempts to make good his threat.[/spoiler]

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »
CRAIG SLOCUM as Harry Johnson I found very annoying and skeevy too!
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2006, 04:02:58 PM »
Forgot to add Burke Devlin as played by Anthony George. The guy wasn't all bad, but he could be so damn pushy and demanding, ordering Vicki to do this and that, and very impatient at times.

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2008, 01:42:36 AM »
All characters portrayed by Roger Davis.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2008, 03:15:18 AM »
All characters portrayed by Roger Davis.

Ned Stuart would top my list. Though I didn't find ALL of Roger's characters that bad.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2008, 05:39:58 PM »
Edward Collins - Always getting in the way of our favorite characters (Q and B) and was annoying about it

Sky Rumson - Annoyingly kisses Nicholas' butt near the end of Leviathans

These are both probably unpopular choices:

Victoria Winters - easily lead, clueless, etc... BUT, I've never seen pre-Barnabas episodes, so that may make all the difference

ANGELIQUE!!! - Her laugh makes me want to chuck things at my tv sometimes. Also the way she always came back to life kind of annoyed me.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »
1970PT Quentin was pretty annoying too. He  yelled all the time.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 09:40:09 PM »
1970PT Quentin was pretty annoying too. He  yelled all the time.

So true. He threw so many temper tantrums it's a wonder Maggie really didn't walk out on him for good. Scratch that, it was because she was a spineless doormat that she didn't leave him or at least yell at him to get off her back and grow up.

1970 PT versions of Quentin and Maggie were both annoying as well.