Author Topic: Andre DuPres in the 1795 storyline  (Read 8117 times)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
Re: Andre DuPres in the 1795 storyline
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 01:24:51 AM »
Well, perhaps Don Briscoe played Nathan ;)  and Christopher Pennock as Alexis, Josef's manservant, prone to fits of jealousy and a dabbler in the black arts..... :P

Hey the Vampire meets the werwolf. Wasn't that an abbott and costellow movie.

Lori
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 05:27:04 PM »
Quote from: loril54
Hey the Vampire meets the werwolf. Wasn't that an abbott and costellow movie.
Yes, but probably the most well-known vampire/werewolf pairing around these parts (not counting Angel season Five) would have to be Barn/Quentin! :D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
That is true. How about Barnabas, Quention, Adam, Eve, Laura, and Angelique. Oh yes we can't forget Jeb in his natural form. All of them going on Oprah.

Josette needed a better Father. He didn't really protect her at all.

Lori

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2007, 05:51:30 PM »
Josette needed a better Father. He didn't really protect her at all.
True, but women were property then worth only their dowry or married to provide business opportunities for the family (as in the DuPres/Collins alliance).

He may have loved and doted on her, but she was still a possession.  Independent wealthy (widowed?) women like the Countess were very rare.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2007, 05:55:35 PM »
That is true. How about Barnabas, Quention, Adam, Eve, Laura, and Angelique. Oh yes we can't forget Jeb in his natural form. All of them going on Oprah.
Vampires, Werewolves, Witches - and their victims .... Next Sally! ;D

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 06:05:37 PM »
He may have loved and doted on her, but she was still a possession.  Independent wealthy (widowed?) women like the Countess were very rare.

Grayson played the Countess well, (though not her favorite part). In the earlier portion of the show, did David Ford play a good father and protect his daughter??

Lori

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 06:13:15 PM »
Independent wealthy (widowed?) women like the Countess were very rare.
This is something that always puzzles me: how is it that the Countess is a Countess?  Right at the beginning of 1795, if I remember correctly, she mentions being a Countess from her birth.  I don't see how a female could be born with a title like that.  All I can figure is that infant Natalie came down the chute, poked her head out, and said (in French), "I'm a Countess.  Get it?"  and the doctor was too cowed to argue with her.  He probably didn't give her the spank that newborns traditionally receive, either.

Meanwhile, Andre seems to be plain Monsieur DuPres.  Did he give up his title in the Revolution while Natalie remained intransigent?

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 06:18:21 PM »
All I can figure is that infant Natalie came down the chute, poked her head out, and said (in French), "I'm a Countess.  Get it?"  and the doctor was too cowed to argue with her.  He probably didn't give her the spank that newborns traditionally receive, either.

Or did she marry a count in a secret ceramony. Maybe then cursed by Angelique. ( the countess didn't know that she was a witch)

Lori

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:55 PM »
In the earlier portion of the show, did David Ford play a good father and protect his daughter??
One of the scenes that always sticks in my mind is rather early in the Barnabas era.  Maggie is in the hospital, and everybody thinks she's dying.  Sam, crying, remembers being in this hospital waiting for her to be born, and now he's waiting for her to die.  It's the stuff of which soap operas are made - but it still moves me.  Good job by David Ford.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2007, 06:27:26 PM »

Do we know for a fact that the Countess had never been married? Is it possible she is a widow and came to live with Andre and Josette after Andre's wife died to provide that older female companionship to Josette? I don't remember it ever being said that she had never married. We can see in the storyline that Natalie loved Josette and they were very close. If she had been married to a Count who had died she would still be a Countess.

I think sometimes we assume that the Grayson Hall characters were all spinsters, except for Magda.

Alondra

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2007, 06:46:35 PM »
Can you imagine, Adam going under the knife. All of a sudden Barnabas falling down what would Julia think??

That's an interesting point. Considering that Barnabas felt it when the spirit of Philippe Cordier was [spoiler]strangling Adam[/spoiler]one could easily presume Barnabas should have experienced something similar when Adam was having his scars removed. Perhaps that means Adam rejected the idea of going to the clinic. Or perhaps it was simply that the procedure was conveniently done while Barnabas was already asleep, and when he woke up on his own, he simply wondered in the back of his mind why his face felt a bit odd.  ;)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
In the earlier portion of the show, did David Ford play a good father and protect his daughter??

I had forgotten that, that was really sad.

One of the scenes that always sticks in my mind is rather early in the Barnabas era. ...

They also had Vickie sitting with Maggie, [spoiler]and the show where there was the howling and they can't get the door open.[/spoiler] very scary really got me.

These were great shows.

Lori

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2007, 07:33:23 PM »
Can you imagine, Adam going under the knife. All of a sudden Barnabas falling down what would Julia think??

Not really, since one would assume that general anesthesia would be used and Adam would feel nothing.  ;)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2007, 08:43:02 PM »

Do we know for a fact that the Countess had never been married? Is it possible she is a widow and came to live with Andre and Josette after Andre's wife died to provide that older female companionship to Josette? I don't remember it ever being said that she had never married. We can see in the storyline that Natalie loved Josette and they were very close. If she had been married to a Count who had died she would still be a Countess.

I think sometimes we assume that the Grayson Hall characters were all spinsters, except for Magda.
I am guessing she either married into the DuPres family (Andre's brother in France) then fled to Martinique when the Count (and most of the other aristos that did not run) was guillotined during the outbreak of the Revolution, or she is Andre's blood sister, married a count, and when he was executed, kept the title but took back her family name DuPres when she rejoined Andre and Josette in Martinique.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2007, 08:52:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure that it's established that Natalie is Andre's blood sister. But what I am sure about is that in Ep #368/369, Natalie informs Joshua that she was born with her title.