Author Topic: Movies airing on TCM, 10/04  (Read 2271 times)

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
Movies airing on TCM, 10/04
« on: September 26, 2002, 01:37:33 AM »
Both of the Dark Shadows movies will be airing on Turner Classic Movies! House of Dark Shadows will be airing at 3:00 AM on Friday morning. Night of Dark Shadows will air at around 4:45 AM. I wish I had TCM so I could see the movies uncut (I've only seen the edited ones on Turner South).

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Movies airing on TCM, 10/04
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2002, 02:50:08 AM »

I have TCM and both videos. That's way to early for me. Around the Halloween season, I start putting my scary movies on. I just picked up some new ones, Rose Red, The Amityville Horror, 1st movie,  and Amityville 1992 It's About Time, the 4th movie (and the best). They'll probably show it on Thriller Thursday on SciFi, they are currently showing the Amityville movies. Of the 2 Dark Shadows films, I vote for House Of Dark Shadows as being the best.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2002, 03:08:17 AM »
I just treated myself to both the book and the DVD of Susan Hill's "The Woman In Black".....Excellent ghost story...perfect for the upcoming season!!

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2002, 05:21:35 AM »
My local TV schedule shows the running time for "House of Dark Shadows" at 105 minutes.  It also shows 105 minutes for "Night of Dark Shadows."  Could it be that TCM will be showing restored versions of these films?

It seems to me that when the two DS movies aired in the past, it was on AMC, not TCM, but I may be mistaken about that.

Maybe we should all tape the movies -- just in case they've come up with extended versions!  The movie channels sometimes come up with some surprises -- witness the recent airing of "Frankenstein: The True Story" on AMC instead of the advertised Dan Curtis version -- this three-hour version co-scripted by Christopher Isherwood is not only one of the highest rated versions of Frankenstein, but scores of people had been dying to see the complete, uncut 300-minute version ever since it first aired in the early 1970s -- only a savagely cut version was ever released on video (like, 45 minutes worth of cuts).  So the surprise came somewhat at the expesne of those wanting to see the Dan Curtis version, but as a long-awaited moment for many others who had all but given up hope of ever seeing the extended version of this made-for-TV film.  Personally, I didn't find "Frankenstein: The True Story" to relate all that much to the Mary Shelley novel, but the cast (James Mason, Agnes Moorhead, Leonard Whiting, Michael Sarrazin, Sir Ralph Richardson, et al.) and production values definitely made this rare showing an event.

Maybe we'll be similarly surprised with the upcoming airings of HODS and NODS!

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2002, 09:47:49 AM »
They should be the standard 97m (HODS) and 94m (NODS) versions. If not, they'll be the shorter, cut for TV ones.

The studio does not have any additional HODS footage and they don't have access to materials for the 97m NODS version. We also haven't restored NODS to its complete 129m cut either, so no hope in that regard.

But...TCM has been known to broadcast a copy of NODS that features the correct sound fx mix, something that was weakened on the video and LD versions. It also features slightly different framing- a few shots are framed too low, revealing floor microphones in a few shots.

NODS fans might want to tape it, just in case. I'll post afterwards to point out which audio mix it was.

D

Connie

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2002, 10:09:51 AM »
My local TV schedule shows the running time for "House of Dark Shadows" at 105 minutes.  It also shows 105 minutes for "Night of Dark Shadows."  Could it be that TCM will be showing restored versions of these films?

My TV Guide shows Night of Dark Shadows with a running time of 95 minutes.  If TCM has done any sort of restoration, it's news to me.

Oh, now wait a minute.  Maybe they will be showing a few extra minutes of "Behind the Scenes" footage....

Like THIS:

;)

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 01:09:57 PM »
Oh, now wait a minute.  Maybe they will be showing a few extra minutes of "Behind the Scenes" footage....

Hey Connie,

Is this Lara's retribution for that bathroom scene after the 2001Fest?;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Connie

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 01:36:29 PM »
Hey Connie,

Is this Lara's retribution for that bathroom scene after the 2001Fest?;)

LOL -- not at all!  Hey, I consider it a privilege to be the recipient of one of Ms. Parker's smart-ass remarks.
(No...really - she's okay.  I like Lara.  (Even when she's been drinking)).  No...sorry, sorry.  

;D

-CLC

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 08:51:13 PM »
hey everyone thanks for the info and Connie the great pics once again! have to check my tv quide!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2002, 11:43:27 PM »
Darren, I know what you mean about slightly different framing shots. When I taped HODS on a local Los Angeles station in 1981, I noticed the boom mike up above in the scene where Barnabas walks into the room, and talks with everyone about the attacks.  It's  right at the beginning where the cop walks by and stares directly into the camera!  In other airings of HODS, I never saw the boom mike again!  I always thought it was amusing that even in a professional movie, DS could not escape the boom mike problem.

Also, I should point out that the print of HODS that Turner Classic runs is FAR superior to the laser disc or MGM home video.  Turner must have found a better negative since the time they released it on video. The colors and sharpness really stand out on the Turner print.

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2002, 04:39:36 AM »
what did you do ... look at her?

LOL -- not at all!  Hey, I consider it a privilege to be the recipient of one of Ms. Parker's smart-ass remarks.
(No...really - she's okay.  I like Lara.  (Even when she's been drinking)).  No...sorry, sorry.  

;D

-CLC

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2002, 05:23:35 AM »
what did you do ... look at her?

Yeah, didn't you know Connie is a "peeping Tom" when she is not doing storyboards. ;)
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2002, 07:55:43 AM »

Thanks for the heads up :)
I would have hated missing those movies.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2002, 02:13:05 AM »
checked the tv quide not listed but tcm isn't(at least the one the cable company sends me)i it is listed in the boston globe tv quide Yippee! but only one movie at 3am NODS remember they did this last year but both movies did run so probaly will happen again. thanks

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2002, 09:27:26 AM »
Doombuggy- Good eyes. I remember watching a taped off TV cassette of HODS where boom mikes were extremely prevalent- especially during the scene where Dennis Patrick hands out the silver bullets.

It should be said, though, that while the movies have their technical gaffes, the visible boom and floor mikes isn't one of them. These films were shot open-matte and the cameramen only protected the 1.85 section of the frame. The extreme upper and lower portions of the frame- essentially marked by the top and bottom sprocket holes- were never intended to be shown and would have been matted out in the projector during a properly calibrated theatrical screening.

Many TV prints from the 80's were actual 16mm full frame prints which revealed these problem areas when stations would broadcast it without zooming in.

This other lower matted version of NODS is just a different transfer, framed way too low. The video and LD splits the difference between a full-frame and pan n'scan transfer, slightly zooming out, revealing a little more on the sides, but also showing a bit too much top and bottom as well.