Author Topic: Post Fest...One Year Ago Today  (Read 5091 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Post Fest...One Year Ago Today
« on: September 11, 2002, 05:12:26 PM »
On this solemn day I just wanted to touch base with everyone on the board.  Because of all of you this place has, over the last several years, become an important part of my daily routine.  That was never so true as it was last year on this day.  For reasons we all know well, the 2001 DS Fest will always be tied to the events of that tragic day.  Those of us who attended had only been home a few short weeks when the two towers fell.  Our memories were still very fresh making it much easier to imagine the devastation that occurred that day than if we had not attended the festival.  I remember how quickly people on this board gathered here to express our common shock and tremendous sadness.  I really appreciated the gigantic outreach that took place here that day and the days following.  Looking back I know it helped many of us immensely in getting through those first few days of disbelief.  My heart goes out to all of you who live and work in NYC, DC, and Pennsylvania and to any who may have lost friends loved ones as a result of this madness.  God's PEACE to all.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Post Fest...One Year Ago Today
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2002, 07:02:25 PM »
Dear CastleBee what a beautiful way fo expressing
one's feelings on this very Solemn Day .  
                Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2002, 07:27:07 PM »
Very well said Castlebee. I think having the event take place so close to the festival time made me appreciate this years fest more. I think I took time to talk to people more and am glad I made some new friends and got to know old friends better.
My thoughts and prayers are with those who are have to deal with 9/11 on a daily basis.
Peace,
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 07:36:00 PM »
Thank you, Castlebee......it's a difficult day here.  I feel like I'm holding my breath, waiting for my husband to arrive home safely from his office in Manhattan.  

Blessings to all those who mourn family and friends, to those who have loved ones in the Armed Service of our country, and those who come to our aid and rescue every day, as Police, Fire, and Emergency workers.

Raineypark.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2002, 07:38:35 PM »
Nicely said CastleBee. Everyone should embrace and enjoy the gift of life!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Afan

• Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 01:35:32 AM »
While I don't live in New York, I too, have been waiting for each member of my family to return today.  The Board has been a salve to my raw feelings today, and a break from the television news reports.  Thank you, posters.
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 03:19:08 AM »
Those of us who attended had only been home a few short weeks when the two towers fell.

It was really a shock. Even though I was safe at home when it happened, my family was still overwhelmed, knowing that I had just been there. I had been in New York, at the Marriott World Trade Center for a week, during the time of the Festival. I remember flying all night from Las Vegas, and arriving there dead tired at the hotel in the morning. All I wanted to do was get into my room and go to sleep, which is what I did. So glad it didn't happen then! I watched the memorial service today on tv, we also had one here at Las Vegas City Hall. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims. I will light an extra candle tonight, I always light one for Craig Slocum.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2002, 04:29:14 AM »
Thank you for that wonderful message on this day, Castlebee. It's been a very difficult day for me. I make frequent trips to NY, and live in PA. so being so close to these tragedies makes them very personal. I remember driving to NY for the first time after 9/11 and not seeing the towers. So heartbreaking. Then visiting the site as they were cleaning up was indescribable.
                                    God Bless America,  Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2002, 07:33:10 AM »
Very well said Castle Bee and so true i didn't watch any of it today just took care of my children and went to work.Too sad!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2002, 07:42:27 AM »
It doesn't seem possible that a whole year has passed.  
So much film footage from that day has been shown throughout the year, and the words, unthinkable... and unimaginable still dominate.
Some of us had only recently gotten our pictures back from the Fest when the disaster struck.  When I look at the pictures now, all I can think of is the total carnage that occurred right there -- where we were innocently having a good time.  The sadness and the horror of all the lost lives is still too fresh.

A bit of irony:
Since we weren't going to be able to attend the first day of the Fest, we decided to drive up the night before and get the badges and programs for Sat. and Sun. so we wouldn't have to mess with it later.  When we were nearing the towers, my daughter brought up the 1993 bombing in the WTC parking garage.  She'd seen a show on TV about it.  (This was the first time my daughter had ever been to the World Trade Center... and obviously the last).
When I decided to just park the car in front of the North Tower and run into the Marriot quickly for the badges, she said something like, "Uh...nothing's gonna get bombed while you're gone is it?"
I gave her a weird look and said, "Don't be ridiculous."

I'm sure most of us will never regain the same sense of security (however false it may have been) we used to take for granted before Sept. 11 of last year.

love
CLC  

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2002, 09:00:35 AM »
Thank you Castlebee for that lovely tribute message.
Being a New Yorker and living so close to the city, it really hits home.  I'll never forget that day for as long as I live! The horror of it all is still so alive in my memory. I remember being so afraid to go out for days and telling my girls to stay close to home.  Everytime I went out after that and passed some stranger on the street, you could just see the solemn sad look in their eyes.  I just pray that this never happens again, anywhere in the U.S.!

I remember watching a Montel Williams show last January of 2001 and Sylvia Browne was guest.  Montel had asked Sylvia for some predictions for the coming year and I remember her mentioning some kind of tragedy occuring in N.Y. City sometime later in the year. I remember Montel looking shocked and saying, "naa, nothing could happen in New York City," and then shyly asked if anything would happen to him since his studio is in N.Y.  Sylvia then told him nothing would happen to him but the city will be devestated!  But then she added, that out of this tragedy, something good will come about and things will begin to change for the better.  As a last note she added, "this will be a wake up call for all Americans."   I remember being alittle nervous because I live so close to the city, but then quickly forgot about it after that, until of course on 9-11.

My heart really goes out to all those who lost a loved one on that terrible day. And to those wonderful men on flight 93 who so bravely fought back, I salute you for you are truly hero's!!

As a closing note I will add that today's New York State Lottery number just happen to be 911.  Now if that's not strange, I don't know what is.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2002, 09:54:05 AM »
I wasn't going to post on this topic, couldn't think of anything to add.  But your comment about the 911 lottery number is just unbelievable!!!
Josette

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2002, 02:43:04 PM »
When we were nearing the towers, my daughter brought up the 1993 bombing in the WTC parking garage.  She'd seen a show on TV about it.  (This was the first time my daughter had ever been to the World Trade Center... and obviously the last).
When I decided to just park the car in front of the North Tower and run into the Marriot quickly for the badges, she said something like, "Uh...nothing's gonna get bombed while you're gone is it?"
I gave her a weird look and said, "Don't be ridiculous."

That IS ironic Connie!  My sister and I had a couple of similar experiences which seemed like nothing at the time.  We took a Grayline tour (on one of those double decker buses) which picked us up right across the street from the hotel.  The tour guide started talking about what had happened on that site in 1993 and my sister and I looked at each other with a kind of eeek expression on our faces.  I remember saying to her something like well, they'll probably never try something like that in this exact spot again.  Then at another point we were looking out the windows of our hotel room which faced the street and we noticed a small plane flying over the water which looked as though it were nearer the buildings than it probably was.  My sister said wouldn't it be awful if a plane hit this building.  

One thing I've noticed in all the coverage is they never say much at all about the hotel itself.  I don't know what I'm expecting to hear really.  It just seems as though it would be mentioned once in awhile.  Hopefully that means most, if not all, of the employees and guests made it to safety.  I remember reading something to that effect on the Internet a year ago but wasn't sure if it was entirely true at the time. I sure hope it was.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Connie

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2002, 04:44:33 PM »
The tour guide started talking about what had happened on that site in 1993 and my sister and I looked at each other with a kind of eeek expression on our faces.  I remember saying to her something like well, they'll probably never try something like that in this exact spot again..... My sister said wouldn't it be awful if a plane hit this building.

Castlebee,

Makes you wonder if you were picking up something subconsciously, doesn't it?  Did you find yourself having dreams after the disaster?  I did - more than once.  Weird dreams about being in the hotel during the aftermath and certain sections being partitioned off with curtains 'cause behind the curtains was rubble.

One thing I've noticed in all the coverage is they never say much at all about the hotel itself.  I don't know what I'm expecting to hear really.  It just seems as though it would be mentioned once in awhile.

Yes.  It was very frustrating - wondering.  Wondering about some of the people we remembered who worked there.  I kept hearing conflicting reports.  Below is an excerpt from a Daily News Article about the Marriott's last minutes:
---------------------------

The 843-room hotel was battered by the collapse of the north tower, then crushed to rubble under the cascading 110-story mass of the south tower.

Two employees and 20 of the 940 registered guests are missing.
Only parts of the Marriott's final hours can be pieced together.
'Like a Movie Set'
Andrew Ward, a reporter for Bloomberg who was staying in a 17th-floor room, heard the first explosion about 8:47 a.m.
One look at Tower 1, barely 100 yards away, told him he needed to run.
"It looked like a movie set, a giant hole where some floors used to be," he wrote.
He left without wallet, keys, computer, luggage or shoes. He banged on doors, telling other guests to ignore the emergency warning system, which "kept telling us to stay in our rooms."

Moments after 2 World Trade Center was hit by jet, the Marriott (foreground) was evacuated.  
On the ninth floor, bond analyst Michael Yager, 30, of Carmichael, Calif., also heard the explosion. He looked out and saw "stuff falling, cars swerving down below," he told the Sacramento Bee.

Amy Loe, 23, of New Jersey, was working the front desk when the first plane hit. Suddenly, a human wave flowed in from the stricken building.
"Call an ambulance," a bellman shouted.

Fire Crew Dispatched

Shortly after the second attack, when a United Airlines plane hit the south tower, someone banged on Yager's door, shouting at him to evacuate.
In the lobby, a fire chief sent a crew to the top floor to check a report that bodies had fallen through the roof.
Then, a firefighter appeared from the north tower shouting at everyone to run, that the south tower had collapsed.

Debris from the crumbling tower hit the hotel, causing a partial collapse.
"We were covered in rubble," Loe said. "Everything was totally in black darkness. Some of the firemen and I, the pressure blew us across the lobby. I ran two steps and then 'Vrooom!' I was blown. I don't know how I got out in one piece."
-----------------------------

-CLC

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2002, 06:46:30 PM »
Dear Fellow Dark Shadows Fans (and especially CastleBee),

Amen to everything that you've expressed, very moving and heartfelt words indeed.  Thank you.

One of my high school classmates' mother was on Flight 93, out of Newark Airport bound for California, with another lady on 9/11.  As I watched President Bush and Mrs. Bush extend sympathies to the family members of the passengers of Flight 93 on that Pennsylvania field, I tried to see if I could spot Tom and his brothers in the crowd.   Man, did that scene bring all of the profound sense of tragedy back to me one year later.

Along with Raineypark, Cassandra and the rest of the New York area Dark Shadows fans, we will never forget all of the good and decent people whose lives were so cruelly taken on that awful day.  

You know, I know this sounds trite, but I was always so used to seeing the twin towers of the World Trade Center every day.  The New York skyline, with the twin towers dominating lower Manhattan, was so beautiful to see from across the Hudson River as the sun rose on a bright, summer morning, or, on clear, cold winter night, with the lights of Manhattan shimmering from across the water.  And, now, if you hadn't lived here for any length of time, you'd never know that they had ever been there.  

Sincerely,

Bob the Bartender