Author Topic: John Karlen home recovering from diabetic attack!!  (Read 3518 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: John Karlen home recovering from diabetic attack!!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2002, 11:10:28 PM »
Cassandra said:
The scary part is that we see more & more young people every day. Hopefully, they will find a cure for this awful disease very soon.

From your lips to God's ears!!

Love, Robin

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2002, 12:30:56 AM »
Let's all hope that this was just a "scare" and that he'll fully recuperate!  And the advice of eating right and exercising and all that is vitally important.  My father had "borderline" diabetes and died of renal failure related to it.  After that, I started to exercise, eat nutritionally, and lost 100 pounds.  Better safe than sorry!  

Here's to John's/Willie's/Carl's/Will's//Desmond's/Kendrick's/Alex's recovery!

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2002, 01:13:50 AM »
I join in sharing best wishes to John, and I hope he'll have a quick and full recovery. I lost my dad to complications from diabetes about a year and a half ago, and it can be a very insidious disease. It doesn't rate the same kind of attention as cancer, heart disease, or AIDS, but in its severest forms, like my dad had, it can be every bit as bad or worse over a very prolonged period of time. Nowadays, fortunately, there are a lot more effective treatments for it than Dad was able to get.

Hoping for the best!

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2002, 01:35:34 AM »

Hopefully, they will find a cure for this awful disease very soon.

There is increasing hope that diabetes and its complications can be cured as significant research progress has been made. I hope and pray for the best for John Karlen, and also for permanent, positive control of his diabetes. At the bottom of my post, it says "Walk To Cure Diabetes". This is a worldwide team building fund raiser, I am involved in regarding Craig Slocum. In honor of him, I am a member of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, www.jdrf.org.

I participate in the annual Walk To Cure Diabetes, with the Nevada Chapter here in Las Vegas. It is held in September. Craig Slocum passed away on September 12, 1978. My funds raised, go in memory of him. I also go to the annual Diabetes Festival, held in October, at the Diabetes Treatment Center in one of the hospitals here. They piloted a cookbook project. Bon Appetite!

I have a number of books on diabetes. I knew very little about the disease until a few years ago. Thanks for the info about John Karlen, I will send him a get-well card. While there is no cure for diabetes as yet, it can be controlled. The main goal of diabetes treatment is to keep blood glucose levels as close to the normal range as possible. The treatment used to control blood glucose levels depends on the type of diabetes a person has.

Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2002, 01:37:01 AM »
I join in sharing best wishes to John, and I hope he'll have a quick and full recovery. I lost my dad to complications from diabetes about a year and a half ago, and it can be a very insidious disease. It doesn't rate the same kind of attention as cancer, heart disease, or AIDS, but in its severest forms, like my dad had, it can be every bit as bad or worse over a very prolonged period of time. Nowadays, fortunately, there are a lot more effective treatments for it than Dad was able to get.

Hoping for the best!

[shadow=navy,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

I'm sorry about your dad, Mark. My mother eventually developed heart related problems and succumbed to a massive heart attack. We later found out that her body wasn't producing insulin and that it would've been just a matter of time.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2002, 01:40:33 AM »
:-[Add me to the list. I am praying for Mr. Karlen's recovery. This is a terrible disease, I know. And yes, it is often found among young people too. As a teacher, I have had several students over the years with diabetes. Diet and keeping a healthy lifestyle are crucial. I hope Mr. Karlen will follow his DR.'s orders and stay with us for MANY years to come.

Prayers-------Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2002, 04:09:39 AM »
I am hoping for his quick  recovery and have sent him a card.  Thanks Mr. Juggins for posting the address for get well cards and thanks to Marcy for forwarding them.
MM

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2002, 04:13:46 AM »
I, too, am praying for John Karlen. He is a wonderful actor, as well as a fantastic person.

Cassandra said...
Hopefully, they will find a cure for this awful disease very soon.

----
We did a large unit on genetics in Biology this year. Scientists are getting closer and closer to finding a cure. They have come such a long way, considering the double helix model of genes was only discovered in 1969.

Now, I am trying to remember this correctly, as well as using my mumbo-jumbo notes  ;) . Bacteria cells have separate circular strands of DNA in their cytoplasm (plasmids). You can use a certain enyzme called Eco R1 that cuts cells at certain places to cut the plasmid at the same spot as a human gene. Then, you can put the good gene in and the bacteria will make insulin. This is one way that could really help with the cure of Diabetes. Kinda confusing, but the scientists obviously know what they are doing and just need to keep working at it.  :) (Hopefully, I am remembering this right.)

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2002, 06:08:22 AM »
We have diabetes in our family also.  My mother who passed away 1976, or complications and also my borther has it.  My doctor really watches me for it but so far I have not contracted it.  I have many friends with it.

Hope for a speedy recovery for John Karlen.  Loved his work on DS and also Cagney and Lacey.  Wonderful actor.

Tanis+
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2002, 07:02:38 AM »
Get better, John![oky]

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2002, 07:25:39 AM »
I would like to wish John a speedy recovery, I pray he takes better care of himself for everyone who loves him...  
I also had a loved one who endured diabetes.

May God Bless John Karlen, his family and friends...

Love
     Sarah                        

The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline John_in_NC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2002, 01:38:31 AM »
I hope Mr. Karlen is much better very soon.
John

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2002, 11:03:40 AM »
I, too, wish Mr. Karlen the best in his recuperation. It will not be an easy thing, I fear, as our exercise, eating and drinking habits are well established in our formative years and with the slowing of our metabolisms as we age, we need more exercise and less food to have the best health. Recently, it was in the news that some scientists/doctors/people believe that we would all be healthier if we ate less, less meaning to come away from the food table NOT satiated but still a bit hungry. I fear in our country, with our way of life, this would be almost an impossibility for most of us (I know it would be for me!)

Diabetes is an insidious and deadly disease. The exact cause is not known and despite extensive research and education, more people are diagnosed with it than ever before. It is especially epidemic in children and although Type I Diabetes (insulin dependent) is the type most children are diagnosed with, doctors are concerned that the growing percentage of obese children are showing signs of Type II (non-insulin dependent). I personally believe that our modern diet and sedentary life-style is most to blame for this increase in the disease. We eat too much and sit at our TVs and computers too long (I'm more guilty than most.)

My mom (whose mother had diabetes) developed gestational diabetes when she had my youngest brother in 1971. This type can be temporary but my mom still has (Type II) diabetes. Sadly, she smokes like a chimney and doesn't watch her diet. Smoking complicates diabetes greatly. My dad found out he has Type II about 2 years ago. He has always been a non-smoker but he doesn't get much exercise. He tries to watch his diet. I have a cousin, early 50s, who lost a tremendous amount of weight, had a continuous terrific thirst and didn't eat well-balanced meals. He had no idea he had diabetes, even though his mother died from complications. He is now insulin dependent.

May we all continue to wish Mr. Karlen well and draw strength and inspiration for the maintenance of our own health and that of our loved ones.

SDP

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2002, 07:15:09 PM »
Yesterday, while I was at the store picking up my daughter's school supplies, I got a Get Well card for John Karlen, just finished signing it, and added a photo of us that was taken at the Fest in Anaheim. I hope he is feeling better. I am also going to the Bank Of America next weekend, to pick up the info on the JDRF Walk To Cure Diabetes, the Walks are coming up next month here in Las Vegas and Reno, NV. My daughter went with me last time, wants to go again. Looking forward to it!  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2002, 07:21:56 PM »
I am also going to the Bank Of America next weekend, to pick up the info on the JDRF Walk To Cure Diabetes, the Walks are coming up next month here in Las Vegas and Reno, NV. My daughter went with me last time, wants to go again. Looking forward to it!  :)

I have done the walk/run here with the local hospital-great way to suport a special cause!
It is a good day because I am still ticking!