Author Topic: Collinsport Must Be Colder Than...  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Collinsport Must Be Colder Than...
« on: January 25, 2011, 05:23:59 AM »
Angelique's "shoulders" tonight!! [snow_wow] [snow_ghost] [ski]

No kidding,  it was around eight degrees in the Big Apple today; I shudder to think what the thermometer hit up there in "balmy" Collinsport, Maine today!

Can you imagine how "warm" and "toasty" Barnabas and ol' Willie must be in the Old House, which does not, unfortunately, feature the thoroughly "modern convenience" of central heating?   The thought of poor Willie, schlepping outside to get some more firewood for the drawing room fireplace is just too painful to contemplate.  (And I don't even want to think of the "discomfort" Willie must have experienced, if he had to make a rather hasty 3:00 AM visit to the Old House outhouse.)

And how many prospective customers went out and braved the chilly Maine winds, coming in from Collinsport Bay, to hoist a few at the Blue Whale tonight?  I'll bet that Bob Rooney had to close the joint up early.

As the wonderful Dark Shadows novelist Dale Clark once pointed out, it's too bad that we never got to see winter depicted on Dark Shadows during its nearly five-year-run. What fun it would have been to have seen the eminent Prof. T. Elliott Stokes, arriving at Collinwood, attired in a L.L. Bean Baxter State Parka, and also wearing goose-down insulated mittens and an L.L. Bean "Mad Bomber Hat," just like the ones former President George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, are said to wear when they're both out walking along the beach near Walker's Point in equally frigid Kennebunkport, Maine!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Collinsport Must Be Colder Than...
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 06:47:24 AM »
I would have loved to have seen snow on DS. It would have been so cool if DC would have done a Christmas Carol. He said he always wanted to do a version that spanned two weeks but didn't get around to it.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:02:53 PM »
It never got very cold in Collinsport, even in the dead of winter.  That's because it was situated on a craggy peninsula of Maine where the Gulf Stream took a sharp turn inward with its warm waters.  We know that for a fact because no matter what time of the year it was, it was always thunderstorming there.

Well, somebody had to try to explain it!  You didn't expect Dan Curtis to do it, did you?

Gerard

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 03:43:34 PM »
I live in central Mass. It was 8 below when I got up yesterday morning, and although I didn't get down to the Blue Whale, I did have to go to work. Brrrr!!!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Maybe it was Diabolos's special interest in Collinsport that kept the winters warm.

(And I don't even want to think of the "discomfort" Willie must have experienced, if he had to make a rather hasty 3:00 AM visit to the Old House outhouse.)
I daresay that Willie developed a close personal relationship with a chamberpot very fast.  Of course MB will tell us that the Old House surely had cutting edge bathroom facilities for 1795, but 170 years of neglect would probably have caused them to fall into disrepair.

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »
I've been watching some of the episodes that aired in the summer of 1968 again recently, and it's been making me smile how Julia and the at this point human Barnabas are going everywhere in their coats! Adam is in his turtleneck sweater. Vicki is, of course, sleeveless. Maybe everyone had their own personal thermostat?  [crazy]
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
It never got very cold in Collinsport, even in the dead of winter.  That's because it was situated on a craggy peninsula of Maine where the Gulf Stream took a sharp turn inward with its warm waters.

So that's how the palm trees are able to survive there, huh?

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »
The grass is always green and the trees always have leaves, so why shouldn't there be palm trees? Collinsport is one giant, centuries long, time band independent flora anomaly!  [b003]