Author Topic: Do You Think Barnabas Ever Tried to Return to...  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Do You Think Barnabas Ever Tried to Return to...
« on: May 08, 2010, 05:04:11 PM »
Parallel Time 1970/1971?

Just before Barnabas and Julia returned to 1970 Collinwood from the year 1995 on the "Stairway-Through-Time," Quentin mentions to Elizabeth, that he saw a woman (evidently PT 1970's Roxanne Drew) calling out to Barnabas after the massive fire at the parallel time Collinwood mansion.

Do you think that Quentin ever informed Barnabas about seeing Roxanne Drew in the charred-out parallel time room?   And, if Quentin did, would Barnabas have forgotten about the imminent threat to the Collins family in 1970, and have tried to immediately transcend the time barrier once more, in order to be reunited with his beloved Roxanne?

By the way, I wonder if anyone over there in PT 1970/1971 (Roxanne, Quentin, Maggie or even Aunt Hannah Stokes) ever tried to cross over into "Real Time" Collinwood, as both Barnabas and Dr. Hoffman had done, going over to the alternate time dimension?

Bob the Bartender

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Think Barnabas Ever Tried to Return to...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:36:46 AM »
No indeed, I'm quite sure that Quentin never mentioned the Roxanne sighting to Barnabas, or Barnabas would certainly have gone back to parallel time to find Roxanne, behaving as heedlessly as he did when he refused to destroy her and thereby became indirectly responsible for the continued murder and mayhem at parallel time Collinwood, though I don't remember him expressing any feelings of guilt over that.  Perhaps I'll notice guilt feelings in the course of the Watching Project, though I doubt it.

If, at the time when parallel time Maggie was Barnabas's first concern, he had learned that Maggie from his own time was in danger, which Maggie would Barnabas have dashed to save first?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:11:38 AM »
Perhaps Barnabas would have stood in the doorway of Ang's room, attempting to be in the proper place to straddle two universes when a transition came (makes no sense, but that appeals to Barnabas), and then called out to both Maggies simultaneously that he wanted to help them.   Of course, he's be stuck there and unable to help either, but what might Barnabas have said to that..."What's your point?"   At least he wouldn't be making anything worse, atypically.

As for post-series behavior, I always say that the screwing up of the time-line in 1840 made any further exploration of 1971 impossible.   However, if Barnabas, upon reaching RT 1971, had run immediately for the PT room, holding his hands over his face to protect against weird time paradoxes and things that he's created recently, he could have lunged for PT and a world where none of his personal curses or cures or temporal violations in RT would apply.   A whole universe unblemished by his tampering, of the time-travel variety anyway!   (Except for the mysterious body deposited in Ang's room in PT1841).

I always picture Collinwood in PT no longer existing though, with the gateway to PT leading into a now-empty space yards above a smouldering foundation...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 06:09:26 PM »
That's a really interesting question, if Barnabas would have saved RT or PT Maggie. I really think if nothing else were to influence his decision, such as knowing there was someone else to help one of the Maggies only on one side, then his choice would be random. Once he got to know PT Maggie she was just as real to him as RT Maggie. He has more history with RT Maggie so I WANT him to save her first, but I think he'd have seen them as too much the same to even have a preference for one over the other.
I love this forum, where else would this kind of queston even get asked!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
When I did my Charles Delaware Trollish version of post cancelation DS for the now defunct AOL DS message board, I did a story-line where Barnabas does go back to PT.  The reason why is rescue Angelique - not the dead PT Angie, but his Angie.  (In a previous plot in my CDTish version I went into Angelique's complete conversion; not to make a long and complicated explanation just go where the new PT story picks up and Angelique is stuck there).  What does Barnabas find?  Collinwood is long gone, the burnt remnants having been razed and all that's there is now a field (the basement, sealed off and forgotten, is beneath it, never having been filled in).  Quentin and Maggie Collins are living in the Loomis House with son/step-son Daniel.  Barnabas finds out that they are terrified because they believe they've seen Angelique hiding about the property, but when Barnabas manages to find her, frightened and confused, he explains she's the one from his time and they slowly come to accept her.  Barnabas with Angelique wants to return to NT but he finds out that things are going bad for Quentin and Maggie.  They almost hate each other, Maggie claiming that Quentin is gaslighting her; Quentin saying Maggie is the one responsible.  Barnabas wants to solve what's going on.  And then there's Roxanne, living in Collinsport in despair over losing Barnabas but now joyous that he is back but with the problem that he and Angelique are a couple.  At things progress, Barnabas solves the mystery of what's happening between Quentin and Maggie - the one doing the gaslighting to both of them to destroy their marriage is Daniel, who was so traumatized but what had happened before that he blamed them, including for losing his mother again.  Things get resolved:  Daniel is sent to PT's Wyndcliffe, Quentin and Maggie decide to rebuild their marriage, and Roxanne has no choice but to accept that Barnabas and Angelique and bade them farewell as they return to NT.  However, after they pass through the portal before it closes again, she admits she still loves Barnabas and will somehow see him again...  There were lots more details and characters in the plot line, but that's the nutshell version of it.

Gerard

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:07:45 AM »
Wow that story sounds great. You should consider having those stories collected and printed up, there hasn't been any new DS fanzines that I'm aware of for ages.
Also, Big Finish does accept unsolicited stories, if any of your stories could be adapted for audio you should consider giving that a try.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 05:06:26 AM »
Great fun to read!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:23:55 PM »
Great story, Gerard.  We never got to see what ultimately happened to Angelique after Barnabas, Dr. Hoffman and Prof. Stokes returned to "present day Collinwood" from their trip back to 1840.  (I have read some speculation that Ms. A. was sitting and waiting there in the drawing room of the Old House for Barnabas to return from Roger's, no doubt, engrossing speech at the local Collinsport Historical Society.)

I think we all believe that Angelique was NOT going to depart from this mortal coil so easily after being merely shot once by the love-starved (and, undoubtedly lousy-shot) Lamar Trask during 1840!  (Who knows, maybe Adam also wondered into the Parallel Time Room after Prof. Stokes arranged to have his wounds attended to?)

Your speculation that PT Quentin and PT Maggie are now residing in Loomis House is extremely well taken.  By the way, if it turned out that there was a third Stokes sister named, say, Allison, and she showed up in town, do you think that Quentin, being the truly thoughtless and insensitive dolt that he was, would have also invited Allison to stay at Loomis House indefinitely, in the same way that Quentin invited the ill-fated Alexis to stay on at Collinwood indefinitely, almost immediately after the Q-Man brought his brand, new bride, Maggie Evans-Collins, to the great house of Collinwood for the very first time?

I don't want to say that PT Quentin was a Stanley Kowalski kind-of-hubby, but I wouldn't blame Maggie at all if she took a rolling pin out of Mr. Trask's well-appointed kitchen and belted the lout repeatedly and forcefully over his Neanderthal-of-a-skull!  What a lousy and brutish b@st@rd, PT Quentin was, imho.

Bob the Bartender, President of the Kate Gosselin Fan Club

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:22:46 AM »
If Will Loomis' book, "The Life and Death of Barnabas Collins," could make its way across the time band over to "Real Time," then maybe one of the residents of PT Collinsport also made their way through the time band too?

Can you imagine if the silver-tongued Inspector Hamilton (just a "bit" of a contrast from folksy Sheriff George Patterson, don't you agree?) or Aunt Hannah Stokes made the voyage over to our time?

By the way, do you think that Buzz Hackett might have been Prof. Edwin Hackett, chairman of the Mathematics Department at the PT equivalent of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology?   

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 01:24:53 PM »
I would have loved for Alexandra to have returned as the bitchyest bitch of bitchdom with a dark PT Victoria Winters who hated her mother Elizabeth for giving up her up a birth!  It could have been a nice sideline story. Sadly during this time they asked her to come back but Dan wouldn't let her play anything besides the virtuous ingenue Victoria Winters!  [ghost_mad] Of course I don't know how feasible this would have been since PT Liz and RT Liz probaby woudn't have maid the same decesion.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 02:02:18 AM »
I have wondered about PT Vicky, if she even existed. I always had the theory that she was adopted by Sam Evans and was the sister Jennifer that is mentioned briefly.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »
Very cool theory! :)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
I once had the coolest, linear, like a movie DS PT involved dream, which I wrote down part of last summer. I always wanted to turn it into a fanfic, but haven't written more than a few pages.

You can read it here if you're so inclined: http://barnabascousins.livejournal.com/63716.html

I wish I had written down the second half because I don't remember much of it now.