Author Topic: Humbert Allen Astredo Interview  (Read 732 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Humbert Allen Astredo Interview
« on: February 16, 2015, 06:12:14 AM »
Fans,

A friend pointed me to this fascinating recording of an interview with Humbert Allen Astredo taped last year:

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2014/03/podcast-humbert-allen-astredo.html

Please note that only the last 3 minutes or so of the interview has any DS material (and it's pretty limited).  The one interesting fact to remark is that the character of Nicholas Blair was written FOR Humbert because he came in for an audition--for Peter Bradford, believe it or not, back in January of '68--and Dan Curtis happened to be present, and liked Humbert so much that he told the writers to create a character for him.  The right opportunity didn't come along until later that year, in the Summer--but what a plum role it was. 

I do not know if the interview was done with the proviso that very little of the time would be taken up with DS.  Granted that Humbert's career has largely involved the theatre and some amazing roles and experiences as he describes in this, I find that entirely comprehensible.

Humbert also mentions that he knew Grayson socially before working on the show.  Again, this is a pattern I've heard from others.  The girl got around!

I found the interview a delightful diversion on this snowbound, bitterly cold evening here in Medford, Mass. (Former residence of Thayer David!)

G.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Humbert Allen Astredo Interview
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:39:17 PM »
Thanx for providing the link, G, I really enjoyed that podcast. For me, HAA is the most mysterious of the cast. I knew jack shit about him before I listened to it. I could hear glimmers of Nicholas Blair in his voice when he was shouting - that was fun.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Humbert Allen Astredo Interview
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
Humbert is one of the more elusive cast members. He made exactly one appearance at a DS event. It was at one of the early Shadowcons, probably late 1970's/early 1980's. Definitely prior to 1983 when I first entered fandom.

Before the internet became so widespread, I did find a listing for him in the phone book. I didn't call but I did send him a DS photo, which he signed and returned to me in less than a week. There was a short note also.
Fade Away and Radiate