Author Topic: The Passions Fan Festival at Hollywood & Highland in Los Angeles 7/23  (Read 776 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I know there are many Passions fans here, so I thought I'd share this:

TVLine Items:
(Scroll down to the bottom of the article.)

Apparently many of the stars will be there. And the Hollywood & Highland hotel should be a great place for the Fest because I (and I'm sure many others) will attest to having a great time there during the '05 DS Fest...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Interesting that that is happening.  I only saw a couple of episodes of that show.  I wasn't a fan.

By an odd coincidence, though, I thought of it yesterday because I saw a photo of Juliet Mills on David del Valle's social media page.  She looked great, which was heartening because when I saw her on Passions, she really looked rather dire.  I guess that was the makeup and costuming, reminiscent perhaps of how awful they made Joan look in This House Possessed.  That was upsetting to see.

Juliet was photographed with del Valle and Maxwell Caulfield attending the screening of a documentary about somebody named Allan Carr. I didn't have time to look up and see who that was.  Of course it was in H'wood.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Allan Carr was a famous producer back in the '70s and '80s. His biggest success was Grease - two of his not so big successes were Can't Stop The Music (starring The Village People and an odd assortment of Hollywood A-C actors) and Grease2 (starring Maxwell Caulfield and our very own Michelle Pfeiffer - and it's failure practically ended Carr's career).

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
There is an excellent biography on Allen Carr, Party Animals by Robert Holfer. It details his rise to prominence and rapid fall from grace, in no small part due to his bizarre staging of an unbelievably long production at the Oscars that teamed Rob Love and Snow White. Many names are dropped throughout the book. Well worth reading.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Whenever I hear the name Allan Carr all I can picture is him parading around in a seemingly endless supply of caftans whenever he appeared on Merv Griffin, which was quite often. To say he came across as eccentric would be an understatement. Through that's not always a bad thing...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Kosmo was kind enough to share this link with me:

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-favorite-pitch-meeting-ever.html

Because I live in a cave (and may have been either out of the country or too buried in academia when it happened to pay attention), I'd never heard about Carr's OSCAR(tm) production that featured Rob Lowe belting "Proud Mary" and dancing/duetting with Snow White (which someone says resulted in a Disney lawsuit).

Just when I think I've figured out the peculiar twilight zone of weirdness that is Hollywood, I read something like this and realize I have to recalibrate everything I think I know about tacky Tinseltown.

G.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
I think that Rob Lowe wishes that no one in America saw his appearance on that show. [easter_rolleyes] [easter_grin]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I found an 11 minute clip on Youtube but haven't had time to play it.  The datestamp said it was aired in 1989.  That was an incredibly busy year for me academically, and I'd already lost interest in the Oscars (tm) at that point in any event.

G.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
As far as the Passions event, I never watched the show but if it was an east coast event, I would definitely go just to see Andrea Evans, who was so memorable as Tina on OLTL.
Fade Away and Radiate