Author Topic: DS Fest - Dallas, TX  (Read 1864 times)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
DS Fest - Dallas, TX
« on: January 18, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
I believe there was a DS Fest held in Dallas sometime in the mid-80s. Did anyone here attend, or does anyone have any memories related to that event? I'd love to know exactly when and where it was held, what was featured, which DS personal were in attendance, what the turn-out was like, etc. Any and all rememberences will be greatly appreciated.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

David

Re: DS Fest - Dallas, TX
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:08:26 AM »
I wasn't there, but I do know that there were only two guests: Jonathan Frid & Terry Crawford, who lived in Dallas at the time.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:10:04 AM »
I believe Dale Clark, editor of the incredible zine INSIDE THE OLD HOUSE, would be the man to contact for more info, if you can get hold of him.  I have heard nothing of him for years now but then, I am hardly in the inner circle of fandom (no, really--I'm not joking).

G.

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:44:11 AM »
I think Diana Millay was there as well, or maybe there was more than one?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 05:23:29 AM »
retzev,

There were at least 3 Dallas cons during the 80s-- a 1984 Convention and Festivals(?) in 1985 and 1986 (also Newark during those years).  In the final one, a nasty fight broke out at the hotel (witnessed by but not between fans), though I've only heard about it.  JF, Millay and Terry Crawford attended that year.

Jim Pierson is from the area and you could ask him about turn-out, etc. too, and CrazyJenny might have the videotapes.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »
I was hoping that the "DS Fest Memory Book 1983-1993" would have some detailed info about Dallas, but, unfortunately, when I got the chance to dig it out today, there was precious little (the book frequently mentions attendance figures and gives a rundown of many of the other covered Fest events). In fact, only the '86 Fest is covered - there's no mention of anything in Dallas in '84 or '85, despite the book covering a non-Fest event like San Jose's Timecon85, which Frid attended. But as we know things can get quite political with these events, so that may be what was behind the omission of other Dallas events.  [snow_undecided]

But for what it's worth, here are some worthwhile things I can share:

And I've also attached some newspaper items that were included in the book.

Enjoy!  [snow_smiley]

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »
Great stuff everybody, thank you so much!
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 10:57:19 PM »
Retzev, most of the fans mentioned or depicted are still in fandom today. I think most of them can be contacted through Facebook if you would more info.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 12:42:41 AM »
I was so annoyed. When I lived in Newport, RI, I couldn't go to the Dallas Fests. The year I moved to TX, they discontinued them! Talk about irony!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 05:03:29 AM »
Very generous of you, MB, you're then best!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »
Very cool images MB.  It's strange how remote "the Eighties" feels today...

G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 05:43:31 PM »
Fantastic, MB!  Thanks.

In fact, only the '86 Fest is covered - there's no mention of anything in Dallas in '84 or '85, despite the book covering a non-Fest event like San Jose's Timecon85, which Frid attended. But as we know things can get quite political with these events, so that may be what was behind the omission of other Dallas events.  [snow_undecided]

It may have something to do with Dale Clark being the original organizer, with Pierson handling the event (note the Ft. Worth address in the image in your Reply #5) in 1986.  I'm not saying there was anything political going on, but Pierson was the editor of that Fest Memory book. [snow_wink]

BTW, retzev, you might be interested in the material on this page: a flyer for the 1984 con at which JF was the special guest, performing his "Genesis of Evil", with Terry Crawford also listed; in addition, there's one older plus one corrected flyer for a 1983 Dallas fan gathering.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
It may have something to do with Dale Clark being the original organizer, with Pierson handling the event (note the Ft. Worth address in the image in your Reply #5) in 1986.  I'm not saying there was anything political going on, but Pierson was the editor of that Fest Memory book. [snow_wink]

Very true.

One thing I found very interesting in the Memory Book yesterday that I don't know if I even noticed before is the flyer for the very first DS Fest (in '83) says "The Collinsport Call, Inside The Old House, Shades of Grayson, ShadowGram, and The World of Dark Shadows Presents The Dark Shadows Festival". (The name "Dark Shadows Festival" is already indicated as trademarked and the Maplewood, NJ address is already in place.) That was the only year it was written that way. The second (in '84) and third (in '85) Fests say "The World Federation of Dark Shadows Clubs presents" on their flyers. But by the fourth Fest - the first Fest Pierson handled as Chairman - none of that is indicated - and has never again been indicated.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »
And the plot thickens [ghost]