Author Topic: ** Follow Along w/ the DVDs! **  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** Follow Along w/ the DVDs! **
« on: January 02, 2004, 09:04:30 AM »
Until DS finds a new home (or possibly even afterward if it turns out that that new home isn't carried in many parts of the country) why don't we follow along with the releases of the DS episodes on DVD? If you check out the forum's January calendar, you'll see that I've already set up a schedule (today's entry for Ep #558 coincides with the montage currently displayed on the BoardIndex). And because the DVD sets each contain 40 episodes and are being released every other month, I've limited things to one episode per weekday (with a few pre-emptions here and there so we don't run out of episodes before the next set gets released  ;)).

Those of you who aren't buying the DVDs can watch your MPI tapes or tapes that you may have made from watching on Sci-Fi. And those who may not have any tapes can follow along by reading the illustrated Robservations summaries, which will be reposted to coincide with the schedule.

Just because the Sci-Fi channel doesn't want to run DS anymore, there's absolutely no reason why we should let that stop us from watching and discussing our favorite show as a group, right?  :D

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:** Follow Along w/ the DVDs! **
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 02:15:48 PM »
[size=8]RIGHT!!! :D :D[/size][/glow]

Thanks MB ;)
Patti
What a Woman!

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 02:22:09 PM »
i am all about that, since I am in the middle of watching all the dvds right now.
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline picard

• I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 04:02:25 PM »
I have been collecting the DS episodes on dvd from set 1 to 7 when angelique returns as cassandra. But then we had no money to buy them(there$59.99 where i am) and the place where i had to order them in my mall in town closed up and i am unable to get them off the internet.

Offline VictoriaWintersFan

• Junior Poster
  • "My journey is beginning..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2004, 09:39:03 PM »
I think we should start with the first episode of Set 8, not that many people have gotten Sets 8 and 9 yet, I just finished watching Set 7 but I got Sets 8 and 9. I dont want to discuss episodes I have yet to see.
Victoria Winters

~Governess of Collinwood~

1966-1968,1795

Her journey back from 1795 to present is just beginning....

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2004, 09:58:00 PM »
Just starting watching set #6 last weekend. I have all the sets through #9. I got behind on viewing the eps during the holidays. I take it ep #558 is in set #9?

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 08:12:51 AM »
I think we should start at the beginning.  #1 on DVD, and VHS.  Starting in the middle is kinda, excuse me, but, crazy. 
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 10:23:19 AM »
i just started set #8 myself (i am always behind)
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 05:56:47 PM »
FWIW, I vote for starting at the beginning. That gives us lead time. But I am flexible and will go with the flow.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »
MB, will we be discussing the episodes in Robin's Crypt or in Current Talk?

dom

PS - I have to admit that I like the pace of a one ep per day schedule.

Offline murph

• Full Poster
  • I love Dark Shadows!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2004, 12:42:14 AM »
My input is that I believe it makes the most sense to start at Set #1, Disc #1.  I say this for continuity sake because this is where we have the introduction of the Barnabas character into the show.

For selfish reasons I would prefer to start at Set #8, Disc #3 because that is where I happen to be in my watching of the DVD's.  This is June 1968 at the heart of the Adam, Dream Curse storyline which I did not like at all when they last aired on SciFi but which I am finding more bearable the second time around.  I would have been eight when they originally aired and they did not seem familiar at all when I saw them on SciFi.  I believe I began to watch the show in the Fall/Winter of '68.

Also, if we begin at Set #1 we can, if we so choose get into a discussion about the Barnabas character because the fact remains if his character had not caught on like it did there never would have been a Dr. Hoffman, Angelique, Quentin, Chris Jennings, etc.  because the show would have been cancelled before any of those characters were introduced.

I know there are many out there who do not care for or like the Barnabas character but as most everyone knows his character saved the show.  The show was on the brink of cancellation and Dan Curtis threw in a Vampire as a last ditch effort to save it and the ratings went through the roof and the rest is as they say............. history.

MB,  I believe you need to start wherever you think is best because no matter where you start it's not going to please everyone for one reason or the other.

.......Just my two cents

Murph

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 05:20:51 PM »
I have been collecting the DS episodes on dvd from set 1 to 7 when angelique returns as cassandra. But then we had no money to buy them(there$59.99 where i am) and the place where i had to order them in my mall in town closed up and i am unable to get them off the internet.

I just got #8 DVD from Amazon.Com.  There was a delay in shipping it out. Anybody can access that sight as far as I know.  The cost of $54.99 and the shipping was free. For some reason #8 costs more money than #7 or #9 (which I also just got!  My Christmas present to myself  ;D) If you can get to Amazon.Com, they always seem to have used copies of the DVDs. I'm not sure of the prices however. Another place where you might be able to get them at a lesser cost is eBay.Com. 
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 06:19:04 PM »
I support this idea.  I think it's great to following along with all the fans and discuss the show.  I like your schedule MB.  Then as long as I keep my orders up, I should be in the same place with everyone who has either tape or CD.  Yea a first for me!

While SoapNet might run the show for us, it's hard to say when that will start.  There is no reason why we couldn't follow both SoapNet and the DVD schedule at the same time. 

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2004, 06:49:53 AM »
What happened to 1841 PT?

I don't know if first -timers are planning on reading Robservations to find out what happens, but since there's such a little bit left, I assume some will, and most of us are familiar with it.

I assumed we'd finish discussing the end of the show before starting another time.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2004, 09:53:05 PM »
For anyone who hasn't seen them (or those who just want to remind themselves what happened) 4 of the 18 1841PT episodes have been posted in Robservations, complete with over 150 captures each to download.  :)