Author Topic: Auld Lang Syne (waaaah!!)  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Auld Lang Syne (waaaah!!)
« on: December 30, 2003, 03:52:39 AM »
Tomorrow....a sad day :(

I will truly miss being able (occassionally) to watch 'live'.

I'll miss my cousins daily messages; who's clothes were fun/ny, who flubbed their lines, who noticed Mike R. Phone....the beloved inconsistencies which make DS DS.

sad sad sad

[bawling2] [bawling2] [bawling2]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Well. that's the end of that...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 02:50:05 PM »
I think it's unfortunate that Sci Fi did not have the courtesy, knowing they would be dropping the show, to have at least finished the run -- for those of us who haven't seen some of these last shows.  There would have been ample time before the end of the year if they had dispensed with some of the numerous pre-emptions over the last few months.

Also, that deal MPI is offering.....
If you buy the last 3 tapes you're still missing about 3 or 4 shows - one of which, is David Selby's last appearance.

Am I annoyed?  Yes.

Oh well....

"May I have this dance?"

[winkb]
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Well. that's the end of that...
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 07:10:15 PM »
DS on Sci-Fi may be finished (for a second time) but we will continue. Watch for a forum announcement of an idea for the post-Sci-Fi/pre-wherever period for cousins who might still want to discuss episodes. But more on that on January 1st...

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Re:Auld Lang Syne (waaaah!!)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 11:45:20 PM »
I too, Connie, am annoyed...also, irritated, mad, and infuriated by Sci-Fi.  I got up at 7 every morning, made myself a cup of coffee, get my husband off to work, and me and Bella (my cat) would get comfortable on the couch and watch...Barnabas.   [luv]

I liked Quentin too.  He was so incredible handsome, and down right mean when he wanted to be.

Angelique, I was always rooting for her.  All she wanted was the man she married.

Carolyn, I think her and Jeb would have made it.

Roger, Elizabeth, Julia, Professor Stokes, Joshua, Naomi, Sarah, everyone, I hope you come on again real soon.

I know that there is talk about a "new" DS.  That's nice, but call me crazy, but I still like and want the "old" one.

So, until I see you again.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 01:00:48 AM »
I'm just sad.  And maybe a teeny bit depressed.  At first I was really mad at Sci-Fi, more so for the unceremoniously way they dumped the very first show they purchased for their network.  If they decided not to air it again, so be it, but could they have shown a bit more respect for the fans?  How exactly would it have killed them to do a final-day marathon of the last 18 episodes?  Would their ratings have crashed to the floor and advertisers abandoned them if they didn't do hour after hour of Hercules or Knight Rider?  I'm sure millions of fans were taking an entire day off of work, or setting VCR's all over their houses to watch those marathons.  Yeah, right.

So now I'm no longer mad.  Just sad.  It's gone.  If SoapNet picks it up, it won't do me any good since my cable (even the version where you get a gazillion music channels) doesn't carry it.  If the proposed Horror Channel actually makes it in October 2004, there's no guarantee my cruddy cable provider will pick it up (we don't have things like the Cartoon Network, or TCM, or the Food Network, or the Travel Network, et. al., but we do have the Golf Channel - for cryin' out loud, who the h-e-double-toothpicks here watches that?), and if it does, there's no guarantee that the new network will get and/or carry DS.

In a way, I was kinda glad that I got really busy just before the holidays, as well as during, so I didn't have time to check in here as much as I always do because I just needed to be alone in my misery.  I'm of the variety that when I'm sick, or recuperating from something, I just wanna be alone until I'm over it.  I make a really bad patient.

And now it's gone.  There are worse things that can happen.  But I'm grateful that, for the past ten years, at least I was able to relive a part of my childhood that brought such pleasure.  Not too many people can have that.

Gerard

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 01:12:10 AM »
Hi all, i'm really sad and depressed that Scifi wouldn't
leave DS on the air.  It was like losing a dear friend
all these yrs.  I'll MISS The Q-man and where will
i get my daily dose of him????
 :P            Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Valerie Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 02:12:46 AM »
I think it sucks that the Sci-Fi channel didn't have the common courtesy to finish out the entire run of "Dark Shadows."

I'm a new fan to this series and I think the Sci-Fi channel doesn't show it's viewers respect at all.

DS only had 18 episodes left to the end of the series.  Just 18 episodes.  That's not that many episodes.

The Sci-Fi channel could have easily finished the entire series if they wanted to.  But, they didn't.  They wanted to disappoint the fans of Dark Shadows both old & new fans.

I am happy that the Sci-Fi channel aired the DS series.  But, I am very disappointed that they chose not to air the last 18 episodes of this series.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 02:22:33 PM »
I'm of the variety that when I'm sick, or recuperating from something, I just wanna be alone until I'm over it.  I make a really bad patient.

Honey...are you sick, physically, or just upset about DS?

Hope you're very well Gerard  :-*

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2003, 04:01:38 PM »
now that we are on a Sci Fi rant i must say that the few times i have
clicked on the station their format stinks they play old movies
or series i just can't watch Good luck to them and i think by not finishing
out the series they lost a lot of old fans Happy New year Sci Fi ,not!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 06:15:38 PM »
Honey...are you sick, physically, or just upset about DS?

Hope you're very well Gerard  :-*

Thanks, Patti!   :)  No, I'm just in the duldrums about our show being gone.  But I'm sure some champagne tonight will help take care of that!  (Even though I don't like champagne - to me, even the "finest" always tastes like vinegar mixed with Alka-Seltzer, but you gotta have some on New Year's Eve!)  But I do make a rotten patient when I'm sick or recuperating from something.  When I had that back surgery last year, for three days I was a monster.  People are wondering what happened to some of our friends, and what those mounds of earth in the backyard are.  I just tell them that I'm trying to recreate Eagle Hill Cemetery, and waiting for my order of styrofoam tombstones to come in.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Gerard

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 08:01:07 PM »
I also don't understand why Sci-Fi couldn't have aired the few remaining episodes.   Doesn't seem like a very smart idea PR wise.  I also hope everyone has a happy new year.  I don't care for champagne either, but in the words of Hyacinth Bookay I have rather lower middle class tastes when it comes to spirits, never having  acquired a real appreciation for anything but beer.

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 09:19:41 PM »
Although I haven't been a regular viewer of DS for a while, I do agree that SciFi should have finished out the run.  (I am a completist at heart.)  A marathon of the remaining episodes would have been 9 hours, which would have easily been taken care of in the daytime.  Not a huge time commitment--not much longer than those afternoon mini-marathons--and it wouldn't have intruded upon their prime time schedule.

I must admit that I'm not too surprised by SciFi.  I recall, when they dropped DS the first time, they aired the final episode, and then went back and aired the first episode.

Still, SciFi did give DS a home for much longer than any other venue (including ABC) and they were the first to make the pre-Barnabas episodes available since their original airing.  They proved that the entire run of a soap opera is a viable candidate for syndication, in spite of the large number of episodes and the necessity to run them in exactly the right order.  The near-continuous exposure helped DS fandom to grow and promoted DS visibility on the cultural landscape.  This visibility, I'm sure, was a factor in the WB's decision to develop a new DS pilot.  Should the pilot lead to a successful series, interest in the original will increase.  To paraphrase Liv Ullmann in the 1973 musical version of LOST HORIZON, "the (DS) world is a circle."

Sure, it's a shame about SciFi's decision.  But, much like the characters it portrayed, DS will definitely not remain dead, and is sure to return one day.

Regards,

John

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2004, 02:48:00 AM »
Like Gerard I am sad, but also so happy that I was able to revisit a part of my past.  Dark Shadows got me through some hard times, by just letting me escape the real world and journey to a strange village on the coast of Maine.  I hope some day to see it on the tube again.

I won't be watching Sci-fi in the new year.  The channel s****!

Happy New Year to all.  My we all be best with happiness and peace in the year ahead.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 08:56:09 AM »
If SoapNet picks it up, it won't do me any good since my cable (even the version where you get a gazillion music channels) doesn't carry it.

Ya know, I bet if anyone picks it up, SoapNet will.  Seems like it would be the most obvious place for it.  Plus, remember when the cast members were on Soaptalk last year?  I bet SoapNet is interested.

Won't do me any good either though.  I can't beLIEVE with the zillions of channels we get - including something ridiculous like 10 different HBO's, Cinemax's and who knows what else, that our company doesn't offer SoapNet.  Ninety dollars a month and I couldn't even see Falcon Crest when they were airing it.

Yeah - Sci Fi is not on my list of favorite things this week, BUT I must admit, I will be turning it on when they air that new Larva movie starring Mr. Selby.  [thumb]  The movie sounds pretty gross, but I'm SURE David will make it MORE than watchable!  LOL

As Annie would say......."YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Konnie

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2004, 11:18:20 PM »
Dark Shadows was the reason I watched SciFi. Now that they're not going to show it anymore, I'm seriously thinking about not watching it anymore.