Author Topic: OT:Linux question  (Read 854 times)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
OT:Linux question
« on: December 21, 2003, 06:05:38 AM »
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you use Linux on your system if you also have Win 98 on there??  I mean, oh hell, I don't know WHAT I mean.  Can you have both operating systems on your computer and switch back and forth between them?  Also, obviously all my software runs under Windows - would it run under Linux?

???
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:OT:Linux question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2003, 05:33:37 PM »
Any version of Windows and Linux can be run on the same computer, and you can switch back and forth between the two.

Linux has its own programs that are comparable to almost anything in Windows (with more being developed every day). There is software available that allows Windows programs to be run in Linux, however, setting up that software can often be a complicated task, even for the most seasoned computer user, and some of the software can be quite expensive (anywhere from $79.99 to $329). Free versions are also available, but as a general rule, they won't run nearly as much Windows software - though that's actually changing as improvements continue to be added. (The probable bottom line is that if you feel you must use a piece of Windows software rather than its Linux counterpart, the best thing is to just go into Windows to use it.)

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 09:16:53 AM »
Ah - forgot about this.  Thanks for the info.  What you've said, is what I suspected - that Windows programs don't run under Linux.  Plus, too complicated and costly to make them run under it.  (Sort of defeats the purpose of using a different operating system).
Reminds me of way back when -- trying to run an Amiga 2000 with a Bridgeboard installed in order to run MS-DOS software.

:)
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 09:22:33 AM »
Sort of defeats the purpose of using a different operating system

Well, not exactly. The whole point of running Linux is to avoid having anything at all to do with Windows.  [b003]  And as I said, in the majority of cases Linux has its own software which is very comparative to Windows in both form and function, so there's really very little need to go anywhere near Windows ever again once one has Linux. I for sure don't...