Author Topic: Photo Memories of Seaview Terrace (Collinwood)  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Bobubas

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
Photo Memories of Seaview Terrace (Collinwood)
« on: September 21, 2002, 07:45:19 PM »
Hi All,

MsCriseyde has done a wonderful job updated my Dark Shadows Events site to include a page devoted to my several trips up to Newport, R.I. to visit Seaview Terrace.  

You can access the site off the main page of my Dark Shadows Events site by clicking on the: ' Open the door Mrs. Johnson' caption below the photo of yours truly knocking on the famous doors of Collinwood, or by simply clicking on the Seaview Terrace word link in the main text of the page.

I hope you all enjoy viewing it. Let me know how you like it. :-)

http://bobubas.topcities.com/index.htm
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Connie

Re: Photo Memories of Seaview Terrace (Collinwood)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 07:35:42 AM »
Bob,
I for one,  enjoyed all your pictures immensely!  So much fun to look at and study.  Do you have any more?  Particularly of the outside of the house from different angles?  Or any close-ups of the interesting masonry work on the house?  Jeez...what a place.  I noticed a bit of the roof - I think it was in the picture of you on the outside landing.  The roof looks beautiful.  Is that different colors of slate?  Ooo...and that beautiful tile floor and that ornate ceiling.

There don't seem to be much of any woods around there.  (or ARE there?)  That's what bugs me, ya know?
All the woods around Collinwood.  LOL
I love the shots of the beach.  Are there any areas that look like they could pass for Widow's Hill??

Anyway, thanks for putting these on your site.  I love all your photos.

-CLC  [thumb]

Connie

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 07:43:43 AM »
Oh yeah...I almost forgot...
LOVE the picture of Criseyde flying a kite.
Also, I noticed that Sheenasma is definitely appropriately dressed and TOTALLY coordinated.  This adds a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the photos -- a special ambience, so to speak.  ;)

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2002, 10:09:13 AM »
Oh yeah...I almost forgot...
LOVE the picture of Criseyde flying a kite.

The photographer doesn't know it. Well, now I suppose he does. The close-up shot is what I use on my course web site and on the university's online course info system.

It was either that or let them use my university ID photo. I would sooner drop dead.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2002, 02:26:35 PM »
Absolutely marvelous photos, many thanks to Bobubas and Cris!  I've got to get over to that mansion one of these days!

Love, Robin

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2002, 11:01:15 PM »
Bob, the photo's were absolutely gorgeous!! I enjoyed every one of them, but I especially loved the Apostles Fireplace, how beautiful!  The marble floors were just stunning! How nice of the Carey's to allow you visit the place from time to time. Thanks for posting them! :-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ms._hoffman

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2002, 12:42:03 AM »
Liked the photos - thanks for sharing!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2002, 10:39:42 PM »

Great photos, thanks Bob! Didn't get to look at all of them, will come back and look at the rest later. I hope to get to Seaview someday.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2002, 01:54:03 AM »
Wow. Even if I never have a chance to go to Rhode Island and see the house for myself, I'm so grateful to everyone who has had the pleasure themselves sharing their photos and memories of the place.

One thing I noticed in another pic of the front entryway (interior) is that the strange, ugly light fixture hanging from the ceiling in the foyer seems to have been the model for the one they used in the TV series. I always thought that was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen and after seeing an almost identical one in the actual house it made me realize where they'd gotten the idea for it!

I've also been told that some lucky students actually LIVES in the Tower Room (God I'm so jealous!). Is there more than one room in the Tower?

If "Cecelia Hall" is accessed through the main front entrance, where do the students access the dorm rooms from?

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 05:13:43 PM »
Thanks for your nice words about the Seaview page. :-)
In answer to a few of the questions posed:
Bob,
I for one,  enjoyed all your pictures immensely!  So much fun to look at and study.  Do you have any more?  Particularly of the outside of the house from different angles?  

There don't seem to be much of any woods around there.  (or ARE there?)  

Are there any areas that look like they could pass for Widow's Hill??
-CLC  [thumb]

Yes, I have an abundance of photos of the exterior of  the house. These include close-ups of some of the interesting architecture. There is no wooded area except for the overgrown bush of the Cliff Walk. Fans have speculated that a couple area's along the Cliff Walk could have been used for Widows Hill  footage, but I myself have never recognized any area resembling it, and it doesn't seem steep enough along the Cliff Walk to have been used for that footage.

I've also been told that some lucky students actually LIVES in the Tower Room (God I'm so jealous!). Is there more than one room in the Tower?

If "Cecelia Hall" is accessed through the main front entrance, where do the students access the dorm rooms from?

If memory serves me correct, the rooms on both the 2nd&3rd floors of the tower are indeed in use when school is in session. I know the 1st floor room was closed off when I was there last in 1999.

If you were facing the front doors of Cecelia Hall, the student entrance would be to your far left in the corner of the wing that juts out towards Ruggles Avenue. A metal door had been installed there. It is kept locked and each student has a key to access it. Through that door to the left is a student lounge area with a TV.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2002, 09:39:21 PM »
Fans have speculated that a couple area's along the Cliff Walk could have been used for Widows Hill  footage, but I myself have never recognized any area resembling it, and it doesn't seem steep enough along the Cliff Walk to have been used for that footage.

There is a shot of Victoria Winters walking along the top of a cliff, looking down at the sea, in either the second or third episode of the series. The "cliff" isn't as high up as we would be led to believe as the series progressed, but this does seem to be the location used. The scene in question appears on MPI's "Dark Shadows - On Location" video tape.