Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 77528 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« on: July 18, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
Picking up on a comment in another topic:
And this also pushed back on the NODS restoration and DVD release which it deserves.

Do we know for certain that the release of hoDS and NoDS on DVD has been pushed back? The plan was for them to come out around Halloween 2010, with the Depp/DS film to follow at some point afterward. Even with Burton's extended involvement with AIW, it is still possible that the Depp/DS film could be ready for release in 2010. Though, of course, that all depends on how soon in 2010 it goes into production and whether or not Burton decides to go wild with special effects. But it is doable - so the scheduled release of hoDS and NoDS on DVD may still be on track...

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:42:23 PM »
The release of the two films on DVD, has been postponed and has no release date at all.  It won't be put back on the schedule until the movie starts actual production.  Until then, the studio can't nail down a timeline for when they feature would be released.  While  2010 release is not impossible, with Depp tied to half a dozen or more projects- Lone Ranger, Pirates 4, etc.- vying for his time, it looks highly unlikely that 2010 is feasible.  2011, 2012 probably.

Given the current economy, perhaps we'll have a better chance of WB ponying up the restoration money in a couple of years, if we pass this financial slump.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »
Major bummer!  [ghost_sad]

Well, the Movies Quotes Slideshow will just have to keep running until hoDS and NoDS actually do come out on DVD.  [ghost_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 02:28:11 AM »
Sorry to hear that the NODS/HODS DVDs release have been postponed and is still up in the air. I reread my linked post and I did not intend to mean that I knew for a fact that the release had been pushed back. I was only going on with what were previously told that the DVDs release is tied with the movie's production. I am hoping that somehow the movie goes into production early next year and that everything else will fall into place.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
Hooray for Hollywood.

I'm immensely enjoying the Movie Quotes slideshow.  Thanks, MB!

G.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 04:47:03 AM »
The release of the two films on DVD, has been postponed and has no release date at all.  It won't be put back on the schedule until the movie starts actual production.  

Given the current economy, perhaps we'll have a better chance of WB ponying up the restoration money in a couple of years, if we pass this financial slump.

I am very disappointed that the DVD release of HODS and NODS has been tied to the projected film project. The existing movies will likely bear little similarity to the upcoming feature film. The younger generation of moviegoers that the new movie will be marketed toward is unlikely to embrace what will seem to be rather dated movies from the 1970s.

I'm certain I'm in the minority, but I personally have no interest in a Dark Shadows feature film directed by Tim Burton.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:45:58 AM »
I'm certain I'm in the minority, but I personally have no interest in a Dark Shadows feature film directed by Tim Burton.

I'll join you in that minority, Philippe.  On the whole, I'm not impressed by the style of modern horror films, and I'm apprehensive about how DS will be interpreted for the current generation.

ProfStokes

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 04:16:37 AM »
I would to add also that I don't feel that the Johnny Depp audience will hurry up to the nearest video out and purchase HODS and hopefully the restored NODS.My honest opinion is that for the most part it will be 2 different audiences. My own feelings. To be very honest with everyone one involved, I think that this is a huge mistake tohold back the release of HODS and NODS till now I am seeing 2011 or 2012, are you guys kidding all of us or what? This has got to be the stupidest decision regarding these2 films that I have  ever seen.  This news is really aggravating.I don't feel also that its just WB holding them back.As I have said before, I am grateful I still have my Laser Disc on these films.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 07:44:40 AM »
I don't feel also that its just WB holding them back.

Whom do you suspect?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 01:28:58 PM »
I simply don't understand why they don't just go ahead and release both movies on DVD; they did on video.  It's not like HoDS especially is some unknown film; it saved MGM from almost going bankrupt.  It doesn't make sense - you can go into any video rental store and find some totally unheard-of flop of a film, like The Return of the Revenge of the Son of the Thing That Ate Cleveland Part VIII, but HoDS or NoDS?  Nope.  What's the big deal?  I don't know how the entertainment industry operates, so I guess I just don't get it.

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »
Gerard my take on this and from reading other posts elsewhere here is that the hard core DS fans will buy the movies' DVDs independent of the new DS movie. I think WB understands that. But as all big corporations do they try to maximize its profits. WB is timing the release of the DVDs with the new movie so that it will draw attention to the old series and that new fans of the new movie and the DS universe will buy the NODS/HODS DVDs. It's a theory for sure and perhaps a no brainer but I am not totally convinced that this timing theory will dramatically increase the DVDs sales but I could be very wrong. I obviously agree with you in that the DVDs should be released now. Regarding the restoration NODS project, my understanding is that there is no doubt that the project is tied into the new movie's production/release as well as the economic conditions which hopefully gets better next year. I hope I am reading this right.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
Sorry I just needed to correct my post. I would like to see the release of HODS on DVD as soon as possible. I would like to see The NODS released on DVD only after it has been restored. The only benefit of releasing NODS today would be that new fans will know that there was a second DS movie.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:32 PM »
they did on video.

Funny that you should mention the VHS releases of the movies today - today while picking out captures for Robservations for Ep #829, I came across an ad that KLS had done to hawk the movies on VHS from back when Ep #829 ran on Sci-Fi on November 25, 1996:

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 02:08:46 AM »
Perhaps the tone of my reply was very angry the other night.It is very frustrating to see all the films that have so many of movie lovers and collectors double dipping for directors cuts, and ultimate editions of different films. Yet, HODS, and NODS, are still just sitting there waiting to be released.Movies that never made it to VHS and Laser Disc have made it to DVD.But no House, and no Night of Dark Shadows.Darren, you asked whom do I suspect? Warner Brothers, yes, and perhaps some people that involved with running the Festival. Its just my opinion, and I have been knownto be wrong many times.I still feel, that IF this film is ever made, and I am one of the few that dosen't think it will be made, I don't think that the majority of Johnny Depps audience will be going to the stores and buying House and Night on DVD.The core audience are the original fans, the fans whom liked the 1991 series and went to see the original.Too much time has elapsed, and my feeling is that they be waiting to long till 2011 or 2012 to put them out.These are just my opinions, and I am not trying to hurt anyone else's feelings.I hope it all works out. I hope one day to seethe restored version of Night. It sounds like it willbe a totally different picture. I hope it all works out.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:53 AM »
I don't believe DS is a very large fandom.  It makes marketing sense to release the HODS/NODS DVDs as a tie-in to the new DS movie.  There will be publicity surrounding the release of the film and you can bet that Depp and Burton will discuss their love of the original TV series.  People who like the film are likely to take a look out of curiousity as to what the original attraction was for the actor and the director.  I would.  I know of several fans who came into this fandom from being exposed to the 1991 revival series.  They appreciate the original for what it was.

Unfortunately, NODS is hardly representative of what the series was like.  The tone was very different.  However, that still leaves the original TV series out there to be discovered  via NetFlix, purchase on ebay, etc.

The idea of a new DS movie is exciting for all fans.  I don't believe holding off the release of the DVD movies is a plot to drive us off Widows Hill but a way to maximize the marketing for the old series.  Nothing like a new DS movie and its publicity to renew interest in what came before.

Nancy