Author Topic: How to Play the Videos  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
How to Play the Videos
« on: April 11, 2004, 08:27:15 AM »
This was my first venture into the special Video section of the board.  I may be missing something obvious, but how do you get the video(s) to play?

I tried three of the selections and none of them worked.  Each one opened like a normal post and had a picture of the RealOne logo.  I have the most recent version of RealOne on my computer.  But nothing happens when I go into these posts.  I tried clicking and double-clicking on the RealOne picture, but nothing happens.

Thank you.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:How to Play the Videos
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 08:34:33 AM »
Vlad, when you saw the Real One Player, was there any message below it?  It takes a while to load.  Mine shows the word "communicating" for a minute or two and then finally that changes to "loading" and a percentage.  It usually starts at about 47 or 50% and bit by bit works its way up.

Also, once it starts, it stops from time to time, says "communicating" (I think that was it) again and once again works its way up until it starts playing again.

I have no idea if DSL or cable connections work better.
Josette

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 08:59:57 AM »
I know what you're saying about a little bar or something appearing on the bottom showing if the video is loading -- but that doesn't appear for me.  Nothing happens at all or shows up other than what I described.  I waited about 30 seconds or so, I'd say.  Normally, I can tell if something is downloading.  I have a cable connection which usually works the same as you've described (i.e., downloading videos can take a while depending on its length.)

I'll try again this time waiting a little longer.  If I have success, I'll come back here and post it.  If I don't post anything, that means I still didn't have any success.

Also, I am using Internet Explorer, which tends to load things faster than Mozilla, which I also occasionally use.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 09:14:36 AM »
I tried again, this time waiting a couple of minutes, but nothing happens.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 06:09:35 PM »
I don't know which videos you're trying to play, but if it helps, to play the Karen Sisco videos you need RP version 10.0.  But that's not the case for the CSI and Tru Calling clips.

Josette wrote:
once it starts, it stops from time to time, says "communicating" (I think that was it) again and once again works its way up until it starts playing again.

I have no idea if DSL or cable connections work better.

Have DSL.  Don't experience any stopping and starting with the vids.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 01:40:12 AM »
I don't know which videos you're trying to play, but if it helps, to play the Karen Sisco videos you need RP version 10.0.  But that's not the case for the CSI and Tru Calling clips.

I tried one or two of the Karen Sisco videos and one or two of the Tru Calling videos (I tried three or four in all).  That may sound vague but I can't remember exactly.

Have DSL.  Don't experience any stopping and starting with the vids.

I was just on the TCM website and didn't have any problem (or delay) in playing a video there.

I'm not sure which version of Real Player I have but I know I upgraded to the latest.

Will try again perhaps in my Mozilla browser next time I log in.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 02:26:34 AM »
On the Karen Sisco videos, when I go to the posts, I see the Real Player logo screen, but get no indication that the file is loading, connecting, etc., and I am using RP 10 and IE 6.0.

However, if I right click on the Real Player logo screen, select Pause or Stop, then right click again and select Play, the Connecting message appears on the bottom of the RP screen, and the clip begins to load and eventually plays.

Hope this helps.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 02:38:41 AM »
Thanks, Criseyde!  I just tried viewing them using IE, and to play any of the clips I had to right click on the logo screen as you said, then select "Play" or "Play in RealPlayer".  Either way it began connecting immediately.

In Netscape, I don't have to do anything except open the post.  :)

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 02:59:09 AM »
Thanks, I'll try this later -- shouldn't take any more time at the moment.  Am actually confused about my RealOne player.  I tried to see what version I have and when I click on it in my Start menu it shows I have never set it up.  I remember now I never did set it up through the icon on my computer as you have to register and then pay a monthly fee.  However, I was on some site where I was able to download it for free.  It usually pops up as an option now when I run across a video on the web, and always plays with no problem, and I haven't been contacted for payment.  Maybe this is a free version that is separate from the most up-to-date.  I know I didn't register any personal information to get it.   ???

I remember now that what I got the most up-to-date version of (for free) was Windows Media Player.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 03:45:50 AM »
Get the latest free version of RealPlayer here.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 04:36:43 AM »
I just tried viewing them using IE, and to play any of the clips I had to right click on the logo screen as you said, then select "Play" or "Play in RealPlayer".  Either way it began connecting immediately.

In Netscape, I don't have to do anything except open the post.

That's odd - the videos open right away in all the browsers I've tried  - including IE.  [hdscrt]

Maybe there's something different about my RealPlayer or IE plug-in settings. But I don't honestly know what that might be...

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 08:20:55 AM »
I wasn't sure if the clips for Newbies and Guests were the same as the others or not.  While they can't see "ours," I assumed we could see "theirs."  So, having finally finished all of them (except Karen Sisko since I saw the full episode), I thought I'd try the other group.

A "little" Real Player came up and that was all.  It was the way Vlad described it, no bar underneath to indicate that it was connecting.

I was wondering if that could be his problem, that he was trying to view one he doesn't have access to, however, I see that he's also a Senior member, so presumably that's not the problem.
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 05:14:11 PM »
I wasn't sure if the clips for Newbies and Guests were the same as the others or not.

Guests and Newbies see a 160X120 video, otherwise it's the same as your group's first file.  This is mentioned in the Calendar board announcements for each video series.

While they can't see "ours," I assumed we could see "theirs."

Yes, only membergroup eligible posts display.  To see what I mean, view the video board when you're logged out.  And yes, you can watch the vids in any of the posts that display for you; however, except as noted above, you won't find anything there that isn't in the posts specific to your membergroup.

A "little" Real Player came up and that was all.  It was the way Vlad described it, no bar underneath to indicate that it was connecting.

A smaller RP screen will display for the 160X120 vids, btw.

I don't know if it's the same one you tried, but I see that one of the newbies/guest vids doesn't play and needs to be fixed.  In the meantime, should anyone need to report that a video link isn't working, please don't hesitate to message MB, dom, or myself with the specifics (which video and membergroup); guests can drop us a line by clicking on the email link in posts for any administrator.

I was wondering if that could be his problem, that he was trying to view one he doesn't have access to, however, I see that he's also a Senior member, so presumably that's not the problem.

Not presumably; it's definitely not an issue for Vlad.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2004, 06:08:58 PM »
The Tru Calling clip of Alec Newman that's accessible by Guests and Newbies will play now.  Was it always like that?

Anyway, all the videos have been checked and no other problems were found.  But for future additions, please let us know if you come across a video that won't play.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2004, 06:18:21 PM »
Maybe there's something different about my RealPlayer or IE plug-in settings. But I don't honestly know what that might be...

MB, neither do I, and I looked at everything I could think to check.  It may have to go down as one of life's little mysteries. [idontknow]