Author Topic: Frustrating Shadows!  (Read 765 times)

Offline Countess

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Frustrating Shadows!
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »
Hi cousins!

One of the most frustrating moments on DS was when [spoiler]Angelique had locked "Hoffman" in the basement of Collinwood and left her there to die.  As hope for ever finding Julia faded, and Barnabas was clearly grieving, I thought surely this would be "the big moment".  So what happens?  When Barnabas finally finds Julia they cut to the next scene in the drawing room of the Old House with Julia looking little worse for her ordeal.  Grrrrrrr!  No touching reunion.  No anything.  :'( [8311][/spoiler]My other big gripe was that DS ended in 1840PT and not the present.  That really ticked me off! >:(  Thanks for letting me vent.

Countess

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Frustrating Shadows!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:18:49 AM »
Hi cousins!

One of the most frustrating moments on DS was when [spoiler]Angelique had locked "Hoffman" in the basement of Collinwood and left her there to die.  As hope for ever finding Julia faded, and Barnabas was clearly grieving, I thought surely this would be "the big moment".  So what happens?  When Barnabas finally finds Julia they cut to the next scene in the drawing room of the Old House with Julia looking little worse for her ordeal.  Grrrrrrr!  No touching reunion.  No anything.  :'( [8311][/spoiler]

You didn't finish your gripe.

[spoiler]There not only wasn't a touching reunion, but Barnabas acted as though the primary reason for being anxious to find her was for her testimony to save Quentin, not for herself.[/spoiler]
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 03:44:25 PM »
I always thought the pacing of the show was too erratic.  Some things were allowed to plod along, wandering (aimlessly, sometimes) from this character to that....this set to that, without actually advancing the story.  It was almost as though they didn't want to get to the next important revelation or suprise too soon.

On the other hand, they frequently skipped over things that would have made more sense and provided a more realistic narrative, if included.

One I've mentioned before is the utterly unrealistic treatment of the shooting and committment of Willie Loomis.  All it would have taken was a bit of dialogue to cover the legal and law enforcement requirements of committing someone to a mental institutution.....but they never bothered.  Nor did they bother when it was time to get him back again for the Adam storyline.  Just a reference to a review of his records by some entity would have made his rapid return to the community a bit less implausable.  But they didn't bother.

On the other hand, could they possibly have played that stupid loop of Dr. Lang's tape recording any more often?

Too much time spent on some things......not nearly enough time spent on others.  My vote for the most frustrating thing about DS.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline dvlvan26

• Full Poster
  • DS is the Greatest Show on Earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 06:49:36 PM »
Hi All!
Whta frustrates me about DS is the high prices that certain stores charge for the sets. But, we all know that DS is worth every penny and escape moment.
dvlvan26, Class of 2007