Author Topic: Johnny Depp Movie Cast ideas  (Read 13097 times)

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Re: Johnny Depp Movie Cast ideas
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 04:47:30 PM »
Guillermo del Toro (Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth) might be a good choice for director as well.  He definitely has the ability to create a mystical gothic world on film, and he is a big fan of classic horror films.  I'd go with either del Toro or Tim Burton (sans humor).  BTW, isn't Burton a DS fan too?  I thought I had read that somewhere.

- Penny
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 08:39:19 AM »
What about Quentin Tarentino?  Is he going to be interested in directing since he's a big DS fan and has a Barnabas cane?

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »
 ;D If Quentin Tarentino directs, do you think he'll recast the role of Barnabas & give it to Travolta instead? And cast Uma Thurman as Vicki Winters? And maybe have a scene at the Blue Whale where Barnabas & Vicki break into the Twist on the dance floor? Oh, I hope he'll have Carolyn call everyone "Honey Bunny" !

Seriously, Guillermo del Toro would be an excellent choice. PAN'S LABYRINTH is a wonderful film! I would also love to see Alfonso Cuaron direct. He has directed a steady stream of fine films, including the third & best (so far) of the Harry Potter movies & last year's very fine CHILDREN OF MEN.

David

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 05:20:06 PM »
I just finished watching Pan's Labyrinth & I must agree with Markyboo.
Del Toro is a magnificent director who'd know how to convey the other-worldliness that DS needs.
He'd be a perfect choice.

Tarantino would turn DS into a violent, T & A campfest.
YUCK!

David

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »
I wonder what M Night Shyamalan or Christopher Nolan might do with DS?

To echo Claude, M would no doubt put himself in the movie in a cameo, which I personally wouldn't mind so long as it didn't detract from the movie or essence of DS.  For sure he'd add some red symbolism as well (LOVES to do that in his films for some reason) but unlike the WB pilot it would be subtle.

I like Curran as a possible director as I too like HP 3 as the best of the 5 so far.  That said however, one thing he did to the HP franchise that I do NOT like is he totally changed an essential componant in the form of HIS vision of Dumbledore.  I realize of course that Richard Harris had died and Michael Gambon stepped into Dumbledore's pointy wizard shoes, but to so DRASTICALLY alter his appearance is something I still have a problem w/after 3 films w/Gambon as the wisely headmaster of Hogwarts.  Now don't get me wrong, I think Michael has done a FABULOUS job as D and I can accept him w/no problem in the role, but I think his appearance (i.e. choice of costume) and personality should have remained as Richard played it, if nothing else for continuity.  I also believe that Harris simply LOOKED like D, at least how *I* pictured him when reading the books.

How does this all relate to him directing DS, well, I'd be afraid that he's decide to ditch something about Barnabas' (or another key character's) appearance.  For example he may decide to ditch the wolf head cane, or the ring, or the Inverness etc...If he came in and did something so out of what WE as longtime fans have come to accept, expect and CHERISH about Barnabas, that would ruin the film for me.

Just my 2 pesos... 8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »
 ;) I now have decided that the director for the upcoming DS film should be - wait for it! - Adam Shankman, the director of HAIRSPRAY, currently playing at your local cinema complex. John Travolta - in drag once again! - could play Elizabeth Stoddard...Christopher Walken as Barnabas...Queen Latifah as Dr. Julia Hoffman...and that adorable Zac Efron as David Collins! Plus John Waters does a cameo as Diabolos, Prince of Darkness!

Why the DS film could even begin with "Welcome to the 60's", HAIRSPRAY's opening number! Can't you just picture the good people of Collinsport pouring out of the Blue Whale, the Collinsport Inn, the Todd Antique Shop and the Eagle Hill graveyard all singing and all dancing!

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 07:28:28 PM »
Why the DS film could even begin with "Welcome to the 60's", HAIRSPRAY's opening number!

Hate to burst your bubble Markyboo, but Welcome to the 60's is not the opening number in Hairspray, it's actually about 1/2 way thru the movie/play.  The opening number is Good Morning Baltimore.   8)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 07:55:31 PM »
I, for one, DEFINITELY DO NOT want Cauron directing the DS movie. I HATED the 3rd HP movie. I thought it was completely boring, visually unappealing (mostly because he changed the set around so much to shove that big clock into the side of Hogwarts, and moved Hagrids hut halfway around the mountain), and overall the WORST movie of the 5 released so far. I mean, I kind of liked the book, but the movie was awful. I tried and tried to like it, but I just can't. Boo.

Del Torro would work for me, but I'm still joansing for Burton.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »
 :o Oops...you're right...this is what happens when you don't get enough sleep & I am still recovering from a double feature last night: SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE & TOP CHEF...those shows make me very aggressive...

Anyway, maybe Vicki Winters could arrive from Baltimore instead of NYC & sing "Good Morning Baltimore" before she boards the train to Collinsport?

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2007, 05:21:28 AM »
Paul Giamatti as Tony Peterson(present) and Revrend Trask (1795)
Dan

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2007, 09:05:58 AM »
;D If Quentin Tarentino directs, do you think he'll recast the role of Barnabas & give it to Travolta instead? And cast Uma Thurman as Vicki Winters? And maybe have a scene at the Blue Whale where Barnabas & Vicki break into the Twist on the dance floor? Oh, I hope he'll have Carolyn call everyone "Honey Bunny" !

I actually sort of like these ideas -- LOL!!

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2007, 09:11:17 AM »
Tarantino would turn DS into a violent, T & A campfest.
YUCK!

Well, forget the T&A part, but I think a violent campfest would be awesome!!  LOL! :D

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2007, 09:26:59 AM »
;) I now have decided that the director for the upcoming DS film should be - wait for it! - Adam Shankman, the director of HAIRSPRAY, currently playing at your local cinema complex. John Travolta - in drag once again! - could play Elizabeth Stoddard...Christopher Walken as Barnabas...Queen Latifah as Dr. Julia Hoffman...and that adorable Zac Efron as David Collins! Plus John Waters does a cameo as Diabolos, Prince of Darkness!

Why the DS film could even begin with "Welcome to the 60's", HAIRSPRAY's opening number! Can't you just picture the good people of Collinsport pouring out of the Blue Whale, the Collinsport Inn, the Todd Antique Shop and the Eagle Hill graveyard all singing and all dancing!

Yes!  "Good Morning, Collinsport!"  I love it!!!  LOL!   [band] [gramophone] [skelleton_2] [dancing_skeletons]

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2007, 01:53:43 PM »
I, for one, DEFINITELY DO NOT want Cauron directing the DS movie. I HATED the 3rd HP movie. I thought it was completely boring, visually unappealing (mostly because he changed the set around so much to shove that big clock into the side of Hogwarts, and moved Hagrids hut halfway around the mountain), and overall the WORST movie of the 5 released so far. I mean, I kind of liked the book, but the movie was awful. I tried and tried to like it, but I just can't. Boo.

I like Cauron as a director. My problem with the 3rd HP came from what was left out of the script and what some of the time was wasted on. I like the atmosphere Cauron created.

I do, however, think that if it was done in the style of his Sleepy Hollow movie, Burton would be great at a 1795 film.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2007, 03:26:42 PM »
As much as I love Tim Burton and his many collaborations with Johnny Depp (and I cannot wait for Sweeney Todd!!), for some reason he feels a little wrong for Dark Shadows.  I can't put my finger on why.  But I'm sure if he ends up being involved he'd do great.  I think del Toro is a great choice; Tarantino.. maybe not so much so (though I loved Kill Bill 1&2).

Cathy