Author Topic: What might have been...  (Read 810 times)

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
What might have been...
« on: July 22, 2002, 10:49:27 PM »
Now that I'm not a kid any more (physically - mentally is another story) the words what might have been cross my mind occasionally.  Sometimes I can't help but mull over the possibilities; what if I'd chosen a different college major, moved to another state, zigged when I zagged back when?  

So, what might have happened had the people at Collinwood taken other paths?  Based on what we know of their personalities and, if they hadn't been so overwhelmed by eerie other-worldly matters all the time, what paths through life would they have been likely to follow?

Here are some of my thoughts¢â‚¬¦

Liz: At some point during her 18 year self imposed exile from the world, Liz discovers that she not only has a knack for crocheting those colorful granny afghans, but that she is also a gifted storyteller.  She begins to write bizarrely original gothic horror novels based on her own dreams and sends them off to publishers under the pseudonym, Clair Voyant.  The novels and their mysterious author become the talk of the country and she becomes richer than ever. Her newfound talent and success give her the self-confidence she needs to face her fears and do a little "digging" into her past on her own.  In the process she discovers her own innocence.  When Jason and Willie show up to blackmail her she gives them the raspberries, begins laughing manically and gleefully slams both doors in their faces simultaneously.  Her career continues to flourish, as she remains the matriarch of the Collins family and CEO of Collins Enterprises.  Eventually, she begins hosting small to medium sized dinner parties at Collinwood, begins to date and marries her lawyer, Richard Garner.

Barnabas: I could see him heading a new venture for the Collins family.  Liz would approve the purchase of whatever business and would then turn it over to Barnabas.  Whatever it was, it would have to be something that did not require hands on actual physical labor.  Based on the way he always manages to find someone else to do the dirty work (Willie, Julia) he'd accept nothing less than top dog status.  Did anyone else want to hand him a shovel the other day when they started the "experiment"?  Just exactly how he can use the word "we" when he refers to the progress of the experiment I do not know.

Maggie: Discovers and develops an interest in art herself.  She decides to leave Collinsport to study in NYC.  Once finished with her studies she lands a good job as a commercial artist, meets a good looking, brilliant, good-natured business exec, marries and has two children.  They visit Sam in Collinsport 2 or 3 times a year but live in Connecticut and work in the city.

Vicki: I could see her as an educator (now where did I get THAT idea). Roger finally sobers up enough to realize that David is not only too old for a governess but is in dire need of friends his own age.  He decides to send him to an elite prep school not far away where he'll come home on weekends and holidays.  This satisfies Liz up to a point except not wanting to lose touch with Vicki, she offers her a scholarship to a nearby college. She accepts, attends and eventually receives her masters in education.  While back at Collinwood during her first Christmas break she runs into young Frank Garner.  She soon realizes that Burke was/is too old for her, Jeff/Peter is a spastic idiot but Frank is juuuust right.  They marry, have three children and she starts a progressive private school on the outskirts of Collinsport on the land she is given as a wedding gift from Liz.

Well, I've droned on enough.  Anyone else¢â‚¬¦
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: What might have been...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 07:35:21 AM »

So, what might have happened had the people at Collinwood taken other paths?

That could be a Dark Shadows movie in itself, a very long one!

Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan