Author Topic: Out of curiosity  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
Out of curiosity
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:39:52 AM »
It's been mentioned in a number of other threads that we who love DS tend to spend a lot of time 'round these parts. So, this got me curious--just how MUCH time has everyone spent here? We can tell how many posts one another has because it's displayed, but the time you've been here is only displayed to the individual person when they're logged in. So, if you're willing, post your time here.

I have 3 days, 2 hours and 12 minutes.

I've spent over 3 days of my life here?!!!!

And, do you specifically set aside time each day to log on, or do you just do it when you think about it?

Personally, I log on after my classes are over on campus, and then again late at night when I get home from work.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Out of curiosity
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 06:51:40 AM »
The top 20 people are listed on the stats page - though I could easily make the list longer.  ;)

However, as I alluded to earlier in another topic, don't let anyone say that we spend a lot of time here. Compared to other forums (and in particular the SMF developers' own forum) members spend hardly any of their time here. I mean, the 10th place member on the SMF forum has already spent 102d 17h 21m there, whereas our 10th place member has only spent 25d 44m here. And as I also pointed out, the SMF forum hasn't even been active for half as long as this one has...

3d 2h 12m - that's a mere blink of your eyes!  :D

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 06:54:23 AM »
And a link to general stats (totals for time, posts, topics, polls, and votes) is visible at the bottom of every cousin's profile.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 09:09:03 AM »
Interesting information MB and Midnite.

I have 8 d, 12 hrs, 20 mins. as of right now.  But I am guilty of walking away from the computer while I still have the DS forum window open.  One has to wait 120sec between each post so time adds up. ;)
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 09:12:15 AM »
Interesting information MB and Midnite.

I have 8 d, 12 hrs, 20 mins. as of right now.  But I am guilty of walking away from the computer while I still have the DS forum window open.  One has to wait 120sec between each post so time adds up. ;)

Actually, once someone has been inactive for 15 minutes, the system stops counting (and if one leaves to go to another site or one logs out, it stops counting immediately).  ;)  And while reading posts, one would be surprised how quickly 120 seconds passes. And it can pass even quicker while one composes a fairly decent sized post and previews it before posting. As I said the other day, the Preview feature is our friend.  :D

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 12:14:32 PM »
I just looked at my stats, and I'm only an-hour-and-a-half away from thirteen days!  And I did it all in on, fell swoop!  'Course, it took a lotta coffee.

Gerard

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »
As of this time, I have 7 days, 1 hour and 32 minutes. But you know what I wouldn't trade that "week" for anything as I have so much fun here on the forum. I am so glad I discovered it just a few months ago. [wink2]

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:40:17 PM »
My log-in time as of right now is: 18 days, 12 hours and 50 minutes
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »
13 days 14 hours and 12 minutes is mine.  :)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 04:46:30 PM »
So far 3 days 18 hours 53 minutes and it's all within the past month! I've been signed up here for a few years but only in the last month been posting here.

But I also will leave the window to the forum open while I do other things, and as for that 120 second rule, I'll just go back to my inbox and check emails, reply, etc while waiting for the two minutes to pass. Other times I get up to use the bathroom or something and leave the window open. So I think this time doesn't reflect the actual time spent reading and posting, but the amount of time the window is open.

I know that one could argue that the amount of time spent here is wasted, but we're enjoying ourselves and that's never a real waste of time is it? Think of the time we send on other activities we don't enjoy half so much!

Alondra

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 07:20:42 PM »
The time that we spend here is definitely NOT wasted. No way. I didn't mean to suggest that it was, if anyone got that impression. I was just surprised that I have 3 days already, because I don't really look up and see it that often. The funny thing to me is that it's taken since last August to get up to that point, whereas Alondra has been active for a month and has already surpassed me. lol. Got my motor running--I gotta catch up!

And hey, I'd rather sit here and post than do homework or go to ACTUAL work anyday!
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 07:38:39 PM »
So I think this time doesn't reflect the actual time spent reading and posting, but the amount of time the window is open.

once someone has been inactive for 15 minutes, the system stops counting

Yes, the system might add an erroneous 15 minutes here and there. But when one is speaking in terms of entire days, 15 minutes is a mere drop in the bucket. Members' time spent online stats are a pretty accurate reflection of the actual time they've spent here.  ;)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »
Yes, the system might add an erroneous 15 minutes here and there.

Oops - apparently I misspoke. When we were still using YaBB SE, the system did indeed occasionally add those 15 minutes. However, I just read where SMF does not. And sure enough, I checked things out for myself after 17 minutes of inactivity and my time spent online stats had not changed since the last time I'd actually done something on the forum. That means the stat is more accurate than ever - and it has been since May 31, 2004. So, if anyone became a member after that date or they didn't become active until after that date, then their stat is a completely accurate reflection of their active time spent here.  :)

The only thing that still remains for 15 minutes after a period of inactivity is a member's name on the "Cousins active in the past 15 minutes" list.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 09:33:15 PM »
Since I joined this board several years ago, my stats say 4 days, 9 hours and 46 minutes.  I do on occasion leave the board open on the computer sometimes deliberately, sometimes not.

I read and post when the spirit moves me or I have a reason to post.  I enjoy reading the board.

nancy

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 09:43:34 PM »
OMG - 13 days, 1 hour and 2 minutes...where DOES the time go?  That doesn't count all the time I spent in the older incarnations of the board...I've been addicted for years now.  But, hey, I could be doing much worse than hanging out here.   ;)

I usually stop by when I have a chance during the week when whatever I'm doing at work allows.  I love the variety of topics and personalities here.  It's also a great place to keep up on what's going on with fests, etc.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad