Author Topic: Telephones  (Read 985 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Telephones
« on: July 25, 2003, 04:57:44 AM »
All right - so both of the downstairs phonelines are pulled out.  Wouldn't Liz or Hoffman immediately run upstairs and use one there?  First, they delay quite a while before doing ANYTHING!

We had the recent episode of Angelique phoning Maggie as part of one of her "tricks" and, in fact, later today Hoffman uses the phone in Angelique's room to call her!!

Yet, they go to the Loomis house to make their emergency call!!!
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re:Telephones
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 02:33:07 PM »
We know there must be a phone in the study.  We know for sure there is one in Maggie's room.  There's one in Angelique's room.  There hasta be one in the kitchen (by the way, where was Trask?).  I imagine Elizabeth has one in her room.  Telephones, telephones everywhere, and not a call to make.

Gerard

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 03:29:15 PM »
Josette and Gerard,

Man, what were the DS writers thinking about when they devised these two specific episodes?

Sam Hall and Gordon Russell, two ordinarily superb DS writers, who were, I believe, the authors of these two episodes ( that I like to refer to as "Reach out, reach out and touch someone!"), must have been still dwelling/concentrating on the story line of the "House of Dark Shadows" movie.

And, by the way, why didn't Miss Hoffman just tell "Angelexis" over the phone that she had found a coffin in the secret room in the drawing room of Loomis House?  Maybe Miss Hoffman was speaking on a party line to "Angelexis" down there in Bangor?  Yet, somehow, I don't think that the extremely affluent Collinses would have a plebian party line.

Bob the Bartender, parvenu wannabe.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 03:43:17 PM »
     The whole scene was odd.  They have a madman in the house and he escapes out the window.  Hoffman walks out the front door into what could be his waiting arms.  I felt like screaming, "Don't open that door". :o
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 07:22:50 PM »
All right - so both of the downstairs phonelines are pulled out.  Wouldn't Liz or Hoffman immediately run upstairs and use one there?  First, they delay quite a while before doing ANYTHING!

We had the recent episode of Angelique phoning Maggie as part of one of her "tricks" and, in fact, later today Hoffman uses the phone in Angelique's room to call her!!

Yet, they go to the Loomis house to make their emergency call!!!

It could be all the Collinwood phones are  connected to one line, and if one is broken they all are?

Or Hoffman was just looking for an excuse to get out of the house  jog to  loomis house to do a bit of snooping around, which she did.   >:D

Sarah's [ghost]
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)