Author Topic: Mark as Read  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Mark as Read
« on: December 03, 2003, 09:30:56 AM »
When I first came tonight (last night!) the Mausoleum Archive was indicating new posts.  When I checked it out - several categories had new designations, but the last dated posts were all some time ago.  I checked out each category and they were filled with "new" tags.  I had assumed something had been moved to the archive recently, but all of these were definitely old posts that had regained their "new".

Back on the main page for the Archives I checked "Mark as Read" assuming that would mark all of the archived categories as read.  But, when I returned to the main Forum page - ALL OF THE NEW INDICATORS WERE GONE!!  Luckily I could figure out approximately what time I was last here and use the dates to determine what needed to be read.  Why would clicking "mark as read" in the archive also mark all of the other categories?
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re:Mark as Read
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:39:52 PM »
I had assumed something had been moved to the archive recently, but all of these were definitely old posts that had regained their "new".

The "Members' Mausoleum Archive" and most of the boards in it were just created yesterday afternoon, and whenever old posts are moved to any newly created board they regain their "new" status.

Why would clicking "mark as read" in the archive also mark all of the other categories?

Interesting - I've never realized that would happen. However, I've checked the SubBoards.php script and, trying not to get too technical, the reason it did is because the person who wrote that mod for SE tied the "mark as read" button that appears on any of the pages listing the boards for any of the subboards (i.e. boards like "Calendar Events / Announcements '02 I" in the "Members' Mausoleum Archive" and "Current Talk III" in the "General Discussions Archive") into the same routine that handles the forum's main boardindex's "mark as read" button (which marks all the posts on any and all boards as being read) rather than writing an entirely new routine that should only mark all the posts on the boards in a particular subboard.  >:(

I'll have to check to see if this is being handled correctly in the upcoming system. If not, I'll make a post about it on the developer's Web site so that it will hopefully be addressed while the new system is still in its beta testing phase.

Thanks for pointing this out.  :)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 09:41:33 AM »
Let me make sure I'm following you - if one is on a regular board - "mark as read" will only affect that board.  If one is on a "main category board" which shows a list of sub-boards, then it will affect everything.
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 10:12:42 PM »
You followed everything perfectly.  ;)

And BTW, this is something that has been addressed in the new system.  [thumb]
(Probably because it's not a mod in the new system but a built-in feature.)